+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Giving the knee"

Re: "Giving the knee"

Where the **** are the statues of Robert Mugabe in the U.K.?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Just because people amassed fortunes on the back of slavery and used some of that fortune for good works doesn't mean that their statues are sacrosanct. Using your logic, Germany should have retained all the statues of Hitler.
    There's a mob of 'Mother in laws' eyeing up the Tommy Cooper statue in Caerphilly as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I dont see why my location should prerclude me from having opinions about the UK, even if you do not agree with them.
    I didn't say that obviates you from a view. I was talking about Whatabouttery as in What about Mandela or Robert Mugabe, wherever his statue is in the UK

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I wonder if they will pull down statues of Nelson Mandela aka a terrorist from Parliament Square? or perhaps even those of Robert Mugabe.....oh perhaps only white people were oppressive.
    I ask the witness to revert to my opening question again...

What... the f**k?

This is madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Where the **** are the statues of Robert Mugabe in the U.K.?
    In Maurice Swans hallway!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's a mob of 'Mother in laws' eyeing up the Tommy Cooper statue in Caerphilly as we speak.
    That’s a bit fezist!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Tuesday one of my customers was chatting and his local village " covid survival group " ( which has worked very well to be fair and helped each other out ) is trying to organise a " take a knee thursday " to replace the front line worker / nhs clap

I didnt believe him, so he showed me the FB poster

funny thing is, 80% of the village are retired and wouldnt be able to get back up, its all good though as the village doesnt have anyone that isnt white, so its a show of support
    Imagine the scene if one of your geriatric neighbours in a misguided attempt of solidarity decides to ‘black up’.

Get the economy back on its feet, tear ‘em all down, weigh ‘em in. Got to be a few bob to be made, just keep the ASH campaign people away from Fred

Feckin hell pmsl brilliant

Yeah why protest for something being right unless you're protesting for everything being right!!
    WHATABOUT WHATABOUT WHATABOUT is the last refuge of people who have never had the balls to actually stand up to be counted for anything in their lives so just stand on the sidelines trying and failing to tear down people who do. It's genuinely the most pathetic behaviour I can imagine, as soon as someone does it you know everything you need to know about their character.

And by stand up to be counted I don't mean telling people your opinion on the internet or down the pub.

I’m sure I’ve seen a photo of Fred Keenor grabbing a pussy.

Just sayin’

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    WHATABOUT WHATABOUT WHATABOUT is the last refuge of people who have never had the balls to actually stand up to be counted for anything in their lives so just stand on the sidelines trying and failing to tear down people who do. It's genuinely the most pathetic behaviour I can imagine, as soon as someone does it you know everything you need to know about their character.

And by stand up to be counted I don't mean telling people your opinion on the internet or down the pub.

Same as people calling any good deed virtue signalling, just because they can't imagine having empathy for someone.

Same as people calling any good deed virtue signalling, just because they can't imagine having empathy for someone.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think it's a pretty complex subject. Statues and icons erected to glorify individuals and regimes are often torn down by invaders or revolutionaries.

What we seem to have in the UK at the moment is neither of those. We have a glorification, rightly or wrongly of when Great Britain was the most powerful state on the planet. The empire that we created defined the multi-cultural state we have today and some of those honoured by statues who helped forged that empire look out of place in the Britain we live in today.

We don't seem to have managed that transition too well. Democratic attempts to deal with Colston's legacy on Bristol seem to have floundered, which must have been a trigger to his drowning at the weekend.

I think the Mayor of Bristol's response was the right one though to retrieve it and store for a future debate when emotions have cooled. I think the targeting of statues of Churchill were perverse. He may have recognised flaws but there are not many statues of Chamberlain and Lord Halifax about I guess. And it allows idiots like Yaxley Lennon to trigger his hits and mobilise the reactionaries.

All this bull about Pyramids, the Mongols etc should be just seem for what it is, Whatabboutery.inc. As should the outrage of someone living in the Dordogne who just sees modern Britain through the filter of the Daily Mail.
    It can get more complex. For example, some white supremacist groups glorify ancient Roman and Greece and enlist their cultures to justify their hate-based ideologies. On the basis they represent achievement and great advances in civilisation by white males. In some cases these groups have actually adopted Roman symbols, icons and acronyms into their racist messaging etc.

Some classical scholars are concerned enough by misrepresentations to actively respond to these appropriations by Alt-Right groups - see http://pages.vassar.edu/pharos/

International

This is getting silly now.
    the BBC has pulled Fawlty towers off the TV because "It contains racial slurs".

Can anyone explain what "taking the knee" is actually supposed to represent? It seems it is more than just going down on one knee as they also bow their heads and occasionally do the one-fist salute, reminiscent of the black power salute. Are participants actually bowing down and if so, to who or what?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No it hasn't.

https://news.sky.com/story/fawlty-to...slurs-12005118

This episode originally had repeated use of the N word. The BBC edited it in 2013 with full approval of John Cleese.

Netfix and UKTV were airing the unedited version, its more than likely that these station will upload the edited version in the future.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Can anyone explain what "taking the knee" is actually supposed to represent? It seems it is more than just going down on one knee as they also bow their heads and occasionally do the one-fist salute, reminiscent of the black power salute. Are participants actually bowing downand if so, to who or what?
    No.

Next...

Heisenberg

It seems that a few posters do not understand what the taking of the knee represents...

It started a few years ago when a black NFL player, Colin Kaepernick, started protesting against police brutality against the black community by "taking the knee" while the American national anthem was being played. (Taking the knee is what players usually do when being given tactical instructions by the coach, so it fits with the NFL theme).

Kaepernick was slaughtered by a lot of people for it, not least the President. It started to gather a bit more momentum and other players began protesting by taking the knee during the anthem too.

Kaepernick was blacklisted by the NFL and hasn't had a team since the end of that season. The NFL have come out recently and apologised for their reaction to the protests.

That's where the origins of taking the knee comes from and why BLM uses it.

The bowing of the head that some protestors do has nothing to do with "bowing down" to anything/anyone.

If people bow their head during a minute's silence are your first thoughts "what could they be bowing down to?!"

There are some really paranoid posters on here, by the looks of it.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk on 'taking the knee'.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It seems that a few posters do not understand what the taking of the knee represents...

It started a few years ago when a black NFL player, Colin Kaepernick, started protesting against police brutality against the black community by "taking the knee" while the American national anthem was being played. (Taking the knee is what players usually do when being given tactical instructions by the coach, so it fits with the NFL theme).

Kaepernick was slaughtered by a lot of people for it, not least the President. It started to gather a bit more momentum and other players began protesting by taking the knee during the anthem too.

Kaepernick was blacklisted by the NFL and hasn't had a team since the end of that season. The NFL have come out recently and apologised for their reaction to the protests.

The bowing of the head that some protestors do has nothing to do with "bowing down" to anything/anyone.

If people bow their head during a minute's silence are your first thoughts "what could they be bowing down to?!"

Is the seminar fee Bill in the post??

Heisenberg

Is the seminar fee Bill in the post??
    In lieu of payment, donations can be made to the Cardiff City Academy Life on Mars Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Thank you for your explanation. Just wondered, as personally I would never bow to another person. I was once castigated for attending a Queen's Award to Industry ceremony on behalf of my company because I would have to bow to the Queen. No problem - I simply shook her hand as you would with anyone else!

I assume during the one minute's silence folk are saying a prayer. That's the only time I bow my head - when I am praying.