+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: "Giving the knee"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: "Giving the knee"

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    yes i would....there are other ways to be heard, to get in a position of influence.

I am white...but when I see Caucasian yobs drunk in the street and fighting I feel embarrassed at the 'culture'.
    Well those other ways of protesting have not been heard have they ?

Who else is bloody fed up with this???
    I have no problem with people of different race...but you cannot change history...it is what it is.
    Why bow down to a different race....white to black...black to white....whatever.

This tearing down of statues is appalling.....times were different.......you regret but you do not destroy.....
    Just because people amassed fortunes on the back of slavery and used some of that fortune for good works doesn't mean that their statues are sacrosanct. Using your logic, Germany should have retained all the statues of Hitler.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Just because people amassed fortunes on the back of slavery and used some of that fortune for good works doesn't mean that their statues are sacrosanct. Using your logic, Germany should have retained all the statues of Hitler.
    Well actually it wasn't the Germans who destroyed them, it was us! lol

There's a mob of 'Mother in laws' eyeing up the Tommy Cooper statue in Caerphilly as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's a mob of 'Mother in laws' eyeing up the Tommy Cooper statue in Caerphilly as we speak.
    That’s a bit fezist!!!!

I wonder if they will pull down statues of Nelson Mandela aka a terrorist from Parliament Square? or perhaps even those of Robert Mugabe.....oh perhaps only white people were oppressive.

Where the **** are the statues of Robert Mugabe in the U.K.?

Heisenberg

I wonder if they will pull down statues of Nelson Mandela aka a terrorist from Parliament Square? or perhaps even those of Robert Mugabe.....oh perhaps only white people were oppressive.
    I ask the witness to revert to my opening question again...

What... the f**k?

This is madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Where the **** are the statues of Robert Mugabe in the U.K.?
    In Maurice Swans hallway!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Made me laugh.

Feckin hell pmsl brilliant

I’m sure I’ve seen a photo of Fred Keenor grabbing a pussy.

Just sayin’

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Same as people calling any good deed virtue signalling, just because they can't imagine having empathy for someone.
    Well said.

International

This is getting silly now.
    the BBC has pulled Fawlty towers off the TV because "It contains racial slurs".

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No it hasn't.

https://news.sky.com/story/fawlty-to...slurs-12005118

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    This episode originally had repeated use of the N word. The BBC edited it in 2013 with full approval of John Cleese.

Netfix and UKTV were airing the unedited version, its more than likely that these station will upload the edited version in the future.

Can anyone explain what "taking the knee" is actually supposed to represent? It seems it is more than just going down on one knee as they also bow their heads and occasionally do the one-fist salute, reminiscent of the black power salute. Are participants actually bowing down and if so, to who or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Can anyone explain what "taking the knee" is actually supposed to represent? It seems it is more than just going down on one knee as they also bow their heads and occasionally do the one-fist salute, reminiscent of the black power salute. Are participants actually bowing down and if so, to who or what?
    I see Dominic Raab is in trouble today over his remarks about "taking the knee". I haven't a clue about this Games of Thrones thing but as I have already mentioned in this thread it does seem an odd gesture to me. However obviously in these highly emotionally charged times it is very non-PC to question it. In fact it may well soon become very anti-social not to take part, akin to poppy wearing. I have no problem with wearing a poppy in November but I know others do object (glorification of war etc.) and it is very noticeable that anyone who appears on TV in any connection seems to be obliged to wear one. Interestingly Raab said he would bow to the Queen - I have met the Queen and would not - I simply shook hands as I would with anyone.

Heisenberg

Can anyone explain what "taking the knee" is actually supposed to represent? It seems it is more than just going down on one knee as they also bow their heads and occasionally do the one-fist salute, reminiscent of the black power salute. Are participants actually bowing downand if so, to who or what?
    No.

Next...

Heisenberg

It seems that a few posters do not understand what the taking of the knee represents...

It started a few years ago when a black NFL player, Colin Kaepernick, started protesting against police brutality against the black community by "taking the knee" while the American national anthem was being played. (Taking the knee is what players usually do when being given tactical instructions by the coach, so it fits with the NFL theme).

Kaepernick was slaughtered by a lot of people for it, not least the President. It started to gather a bit more momentum and other players began protesting by taking the knee during the anthem too.

Kaepernick was blacklisted by the NFL and hasn't had a team since the end of that season. The NFL have come out recently and apologised for their reaction to the protests.

That's where the origins of taking the knee comes from and why BLM uses it.

The bowing of the head that some protestors do has nothing to do with "bowing down" to anything/anyone.

If people bow their head during a minute's silence are your first thoughts "what could they be bowing down to?!"

There are some really paranoid posters on here, by the looks of it.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk on 'taking the knee'.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It seems that a few posters do not understand what the taking of the knee represents...

It started a few years ago when a black NFL player, Colin Kaepernick, started protesting against police brutality against the black community by "taking the knee" while the American national anthem was being played. (Taking the knee is what players usually do when being given tactical instructions by the coach, so it fits with the NFL theme).

Kaepernick was slaughtered by a lot of people for it, not least the President. It started to gather a bit more momentum and other players began protesting by taking the knee during the anthem too.

Kaepernick was blacklisted by the NFL and hasn't had a team since the end of that season. The NFL have come out recently and apologised for their reaction to the protests.

The bowing of the head that some protestors do has nothing to do with "bowing down" to anything/anyone.

If people bow their head during a minute's silence are your first thoughts "what could they be bowing down to?!"

Is the seminar fee Bill in the post??

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Thank you for your explanation. Just wondered, as personally I would never bow to another person. I was once castigated for attending a Queen's Award to Industry ceremony on behalf of my company because I would have to bow to the Queen. No problem - I simply shook her hand as you would with anyone else!

I assume during the one minute's silence folk are saying a prayer. That's the only time I bow my head - when I am praying.

Thank you for your explanation. Just wondered, as personally I would never bow to another person. I was once castigated for attending a Queen's Award to Industry ceremony on behalf of my company because I would have to bow to the Queen. No problem - I simply shook her hand as you would with anyone else!

I assume during the one minute's silence folk are saying a prayer. That's the only time I bow my head - when I am praying.
    Same here - but with the exception of meeting people from a different culture where bowing is mutual.

Same here - but with the exception of meeting people from a different culture where bowing is mutual.
    TBG in praying SHOCKER