+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Giving the knee"

Re: "Giving the knee"

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    In lieu of payment, donations can be made to the Cardiff City Academy Life on Mars Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Thank you for your explanation. Just wondered, as personally I would never bow to another person. I was once castigated for attending a Queen's Award to Industry ceremony on behalf of my company because I would have to bow to the Queen. No problem - I simply shook her hand as you would with anyone else!

I assume during the one minute's silence folk are saying a prayer. That's the only time I bow my head - when I am praying.
    Same here - but with the exception of meeting people from a different culture where bowing is mutual.

Thank you for your explanation. Just wondered, as personally I would never bow to another person. I was once castigated for attending a Queen's Award to Industry ceremony on behalf of my company because I would have to bow to the Queen. No problem - I simply shook her hand as you would with anyone else!

I assume during the one minute's silence folk are saying a prayer. That's the only time I bow my head - when I am praying.
    What about if you're eating crisps and have dropped a bit down your jumper?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Same here - but with the exception of meeting people from a different culture where bowing is mutual.
    TBG in praying SHOCKER

People also sometimes bow their head when meditating.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    TBG in praying SHOCKER
    lardy in mistaking bowing for praying shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    People also sometimes bow their head when meditating.
    Or getting out their John Thomas for a pee. Now THAT IS respect!

Or getting out their John Thomas for a pee. Now THAT IS respect!

That’s an affront to all the John Thomas’s out there

lardy in mistaking bowing for praying shocker.
    He said he only bowed when praying! Anyway just teasing old fruit etc

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He said he only bowed when praying! Anyway just teasing old fruit etc
    Teasing? Good lord! Heaven forfend! Whatever next?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    That’s an affront to all the John Thomas’s out there
    Will they be taken aback?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Has anyone suggested taking down Queen Victoria’s various statues as she was the reigning monarch when a lot of colonialism, related cruelty and slaughter of to indigenous people was being undertaken.

Also George IV for the Peterloo Massacre where UK citizens were slaughtered by the militia in Manchester in 1819

It seems that a few posters do not understand what the taking of the knee represents...

It started a few years ago when a black NFL player, Colin Kaepernick, started protesting against police brutality against the black community by "taking the knee" while the American national anthem was being played. (Taking the knee is what players usually do when being given tactical instructions by the coach, so it fits with the NFL theme).

Kaepernick was slaughtered by a lot of people for it, not least the President. It started to gather a bit more momentum and other players began protesting by taking the knee during the anthem too.

Kaepernick was blacklisted by the NFL and hasn't had a team since the end of that season. The NFL have come out recently and apologised for their reaction to the protests.

That's where the origins of taking the knee comes from and why BLM uses it.

The bowing of the head that some protestors do has nothing to do with "bowing down" to anything/anyone.

If people bow their head during a minute's silence are your first thoughts "what could they be bowing down to?!"

There are some really paranoid posters on here, by the looks of it.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk on 'taking the knee'.
    Kaepernick was not blacklisted - isn't that a racist term now anyway?

Kaepernick discovered his activism after he'd been benched for a QB called Blaine Gabbert, who isn't good himself. Why was he benched? Inability to read defences, no touch or finesse on his passes, completing 58 and 59 percent of his passes his final two seasons along with a string of losses... he'd been found out.

Was he blacklisted when he was offered a contract by Baltimore? No. He demanded starting QB money to be a backup, pricing himself out of the league. Offered backup role at Baltimore, which was pulled when his girlfriend referred to Baltimore legend Ray Lewis as an "uncle tom"... rumours were he may go to Miami until he turned up in Florida wearing a Castro T-shirt, a clear vote winner there - not to mention is "pig cops" socks.

NFL did something unprecented in organising a private workout, something not done for any other player. That ended up as a fiasco, as Kaepernick demanded cameras for his new Nike commercial be invited, not liking the workout changing it at last minute.

He's out of NFL because he simply isn't that good and wants unrealistic money for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

Kaepernick discovered his activism after he'd been benched for a QB called Blaine Gabbert, who isn't good himself. Why was he benched? Inability to read defences, no touch or finesse on his passes, completing 58 and 59 percent of his passes his final two seasons along with a string of losses... he'd been found out.

Was he blacklisted when he was offered a contract by Baltimore? No. He demanded starting QB money to be a backup, pricing himself out of the league. Offered backup role at Baltimore, which was pulled when his girlfriend referred to Baltimore legend Ray Lewis as an "uncle tom"... rumours were he may go to Miami until he turned up in Florida wearing a Castro T-shirt, a clear vote winner there - not to mention is "pig cops" socks.

NFL did something unprecented in organising a private workout, something not done for any other player. That ended up as a fiasco, as Kaepernick demanded cameras for his new Nike commercial be invited, not liking the workout changing it at last minute.

He's out of NFL because he simply isn't that good and wants unrealistic money for doing so.
    it was all about Kaepernick, he is / was trying to make a name for himself as a black rights activist, him not getting a roster place just played into his story , shouldnt feel too sorry for the bloke, his nfl settlement was about $40 mill

i wonder in todays climate he would make a good pick

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    it was all about Kaepernick, he is / was trying to make a name for himself as a black rights activist, him not getting a roster place just played into his story , shouldnt feel too sorry for the bloke, his nfl settlement was about $40 mill

i wonder in todays climate he would make a good pick
    I don't think he would. The flaws in his game were always there - just as soon as league adapted, he was toast.

At the moment there are numerous free agent QBs, all better than Kaepernick, especially Cam Newton - though for me Newton isn't necessarily a team first kinda guy. Surprised Patriots didn't bring him in though.

Heisenberg

I'll just leave this here and be on my merry way.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...it-against-nfl

International

Would you like a spoon for your birthday?

Settling lawsuits isn't an admission of anything.

Kaepernick was offered a contract by Baltimore, pulled by his contract demands and actions of his girlfriend.
    Kaepernick's QBR the last two seasons was poor, leading team to 3-16 record.
    Kapernic was approached by AAF and XFL - wanted guaranteed $20m when both leagues were paying $250k per QB.

Still, it must be his protest and skin colour preventing him being in NFL not his wage demands or poor play...

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I get the impression he seems to like articles to cover his lack of knowledge of American Football.

He took the money and ran, a bit of a poor show that he didnt stand up and fight for the rights he is so proud of, or will the spin be that they settled thus must be guilt, so he won

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    He took the money and ran, a bit of a poor show that he didnt stand up and fight for the rights he is so proud of, or will the spin be that they settled thus must be guilt, so he won
    Heisenberg spins more than Kaepernick spins the ball...

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Yes please. It's in a few weeks so make sure it arrives on time. Ta!

Heisenberg

Heisenberg spins more than Kaepernick spins the ball...
    Awww. Thanks... you.

International

Yes please. It's in a few weeks so make sure it arrives on time. Ta!
    No problem. Large economy size. Runsible!!!!!

I know you're being facetious but it's an interesting (and not coincidental) point that the word black is associated with bad things - blackmail, blackball, blacklist, black sheep, black market, black mark etc, and the word white is associated with good things - white knight, white lie, whitelist etc.