+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could sit down and have a pint with any footballer. Who would you choose, past or present?

If you could sit down and have a pint with any footballer. Who would you choose, past or present?

Who would you choose, and what would you ask him?
    For me it would be John Toshack. I'd ask him what it was like to be a kid from Cardiff; then all of a sudden hit the big time with a move to Liverpool.
    Also, why he managed Swansea over Cardiff? (what happened there? Why didn't Cardiff want him?)

Re: If you could sit down and have a pint with any footballer. Who would you choose, past or present?

Gazza

Re: If you could sit down and have a pint with any footballer. Who would you choose, past or present?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Gazza
    One of the most talented players of my generation. What would you ask him?

George Best.

I'd ask him where we were off later and who was meeting us there.

Present

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    For me it would be John Toshack. I'd ask him what it was like to be a kid from Cardiff; then all of a sudden hit the big time with a move to Liverpool.
    Also, why he managed Swansea over Cardiff? (what happened there? Why didn't Cardiff want him?)
    I'd have a chat with Dave Jones. Work out why promotion never happened when it should have.

Eric Cantona

Diego Maradona just to chat about his life and his hatred of England.

One of the most talented players of my generation. What would you ask him?
    No specific questions as such. He seems a generous fella I’m sure he’d pay for the beer all night.

No specific questions as such. He seems a generous fella I’m sure he’d pay for the beer all night.
    You’ll be in the dentist chair by 7pm

Whitts

Scotland legend Dave McKay. A player who was involved in 40 cup finals, from school boy level till he retired, and was never on the losing side. Absolutely remarkable.
    Id love to ask him which one he came closest to losing.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Scotland legend Dave McKay. A player who was involved in 40 cup finals, from school boy level till he retired, and was never on the losing side. Absolutely remarkable.
    Id love to ask him which one he came closest to losing.
    That's one helluva fact William. I can feel a quiz question coming on !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That's one helluva fact William. I can feel a quiz question coming on !
    I had to look it up myself to check if it was true, after a friend telling me 😁
    Its some record!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I had to look it up myself to check if it was true, after a friend telling me 😁
    Its some record!!
    There's a website called The History of Dave Mackay and it gets a mention on there.

Sir Stanley Matthews. I'd like to know what he thought after watching me play for 180 minutes. I was a bit shy to have a word with him at the time

Tom Farquharson would have a few interesting yarns I reckon.

Lily Parr - flying winger and star player of the Dick Kerr Ladies (Preston) in the golden age of womens football.

She's even got a statue - and there's a fair chance it will survive the cull.

It must have been a fascinating period to have played - and it all came to a sudden end in 1921 with the FA ban.

Otherwise Fred Keenor.

And cooked chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Whitts

Reading this thread reminded me that I saw both Stanley Matthews and Dave Mackay play - Matthews for Stoke and I'm not sure who Mackay was playing for then. Have to check...hmm Spurs and Derby had similar colours in those days, but it must have been Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Reading this thread reminded me that I saw both Stanley Matthews and Dave Mackay play - Matthews for Stoke and I'm not sure who Mackay was playing for then. Have to check...hmm Spurs and Derby had similar colours in those days, but it must have been Spurs
    68 Derby

Cracking team to be fair

Les Green
    Peter Daniel
    Roy McFarland
    Dave Mackay
    John Robson
    Jim Walker
    Willie Carlin
    Alan Durban
    Alan Hinton
    Kevin Hector
    John O'Hare

Willie Boland

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    68 Derby

Cracking team to be fair

Les Green
    Peter Daniel
    Roy McFarland
    Dave Mackay
    John Robson
    Jim Walker
    Willie Carlin
    Alan Durban
    Alan Hinton
    Kevin Hector
    John O'Hare
    Got beat 2-0 at The Baseball Ground in the pissing rain if I recall correctly.

I did actually have a pint with Ian Rush ( well I had a pint he was on the lemonade ).
    Nice chap.