+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fawlty Towers episode reinstated by UKTV.

Re: Fawlty Towers episode reinstated by UKTV.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The whole point of Johnny Speight’s writing was to depict Alf as a prick that nobody who want to be like.
    Reading something similar about something else he did but it was apparently pulled for being too racist, he said the joke was on the English but it seems like the English authorities did not get it.

Hey perhaps the English did get it and weren't prepared to be the butt of jokes.....hmm, just like the Welsh six Nations advert they had pulled, some think it's a colonial thing that because they had the whip hand in days of old (due to wait of numbers I might add) it was ok for them to make jokes about other nationalities but when others in more modern times make jokes about them they are historically so not used to it that they often get offended (far more than others seem to percentage wise).

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    Hey perhaps the English did get it and weren't prepared to be the butt of jokes.....hmm, just like the Welsh six Nations advert they had pulled, some think it's a colonial thing that because they had the whip hand in days of old (due to wait of numbers I might add) it was ok for them to make jokes about other nationalities but when others in more modern times make jokes about them they are historically so not used to it that they often get offended (far more than others seem to percentage wise).
    Wait of numbers, up there with stand of fish as the phrase of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Wait of numbers, up there with stand of fish as the phrase of the day!
    Cool, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I sense the point has flown over your head.

Alf Garnett was shown to be shitty human being, little to no redeeming virtues. He was nowhere close to being a sympathetic character, he was there to be shown as a vile misogynistic racist... anybody championing his racism no doubt already shares those characteristics.
    I don't believe the point has flown over his head at all.
    You should get off your high horse and accept that people, not as intelligent as you, at the time may have looked up to this man and took his words as read.
    I was around at the time and people in school loved Alf Garnet and looked upon his character as funny.
    People would even mimmick his words.

Thing is, I do not believe these people, in junior school, were racist but airing this type of sitcom would have certainly influenced their behaviour, especially if their parents were laughing at his antics. Many would not have understood what they were actually laughing at.

Anyway back to the OP, I am of the opinion that this character, along with Eddie Booth, were a million miles away from Basil Fawlty.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I don't believe the point has flown over his head at all.
    You should get off your high horse and accept that people, not as intelligent as you, at the time may have looked up to this man and took his words as read.
    I was around at the time and people in school loved Alf Garnet and looked upon his character as funny.
    People would even mimmick his words.

Thing is, I do not believe these people, in junior school, were racist but airing this type of sitcom would have certainly influenced their behaviour, especially if their parents were laughing at his antics. Many would not have understood what they were actually laughing at.

Anyway back to the OP, I am of the opinion that this character, along with Eddie Booth, were a million miles away from Basil Fawlty.
    Do you honestly think that 50 years in the future people will look back at this time and say, " What a wonderful, right thinking society they were. There is not a single thing we would change if we were able to do so". Of course they wont. We have no way of knowing how society will evolve, which is why all the handwringing now about the ills of a bygone era is a pointless exercise. By all means learn from past mistakes but understand that people's thinking was different then, as it will be in 50 years time.

Sense at last

Watching OFAH now and uncle Albert says **** a few times in "hole in one"
    Wouldn't get away with that these days

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    I think my point has flown over your head, thick people or young impressionable teenagers might be influenced by his character, I have read about the actor being in character in the theater saying something racist and getting a clap or cheer from the odd person in the audience and the actor feeling awkward about it.
    I get your point now, I can see how it would form your racism to the English...

Trampie suffers from what I call 'Zulu Syndrome' i.e. buying into all the Welsh nationalist stuff but conveniently forgetting the Welsh contribution in expanding and maintaining the British Empire. A black and white stance of Welsh = good, English = bad does the trick for him and he weaves anti-English sentiment into any thread where he thinks it can be shoe-horned. He just can' thelp himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Trampie suffers from what I call 'Zulu Syndrome' i.e. buying into all the Welsh nationalist stuff but conveniently forgetting the Welsh contribution in expanding and maintaining the British Empire.
    Quislings.

Didn't you say mocking is allowed ?

[

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    [
    I completely disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    [

As the Tremeloes sang, “Silence is Golden”

] close bracket

Agree.
    The same could be said about Jack Smethurst's Eddie Booth except it was set up north.
    There are stark similarities in both programmes.
    Love Thy Neighbour was set in London, Twickenham actually.

Really? I must admit that I assumed it was up north as Eddie Booth was a Manchester United fan.
    Silly assumption I suppose as they rarely come from Manchester

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...ile-gws-wiz-hp

Really? I must admit that I assumed it was up north as Eddie Booth was a Manchester United fan.
    Silly assumption I suppose as they rarely come from Manchester
    Cockney reds.