+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Premier League players to wear 'Black Lives Matter' on back of shirts

Premier League players to wear 'Black Lives Matter' on back of shirts

Premier League players' names will be replaced on the back of their shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' for the first 12 matches of the restarted season.

The Premier League will also support any player who chooses to 'take a knee' before or during matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53030146

Re: Premier League players to wear 'Black Lives Matter' on back of shirts

The amount of people this is going to upset is absolutely superb

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I simply cannot wait

Fair play to the PL, some top class shithousery here

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I simply cannot wait

Fair play to the PL, some top class shithousery here
    The Twitter comments are gold...THIS HAS GONE TO FAR NOW, I'M CANNCELLING MY SKY SPORTS SUBSCRRIPPTION

Are Liverpool going to be wearing "Black Lives Matter unless our bitey goalscorer racially abuses them"?

People don't like being preached to. Some £500,000-week-footballer telling me how to think ? No thanks. But the irony of your comment is probably lost on you. Such 'tokenism' won't change anything or anyone's views, more likely harden and entrench them on both sides..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    People don't like being preached to. Some £500,000-week-footballer telling me how to think ? No thanks. But the irony of your comment is probably lost on you. Such 'tokenism' won't change anything or anyone's views, more likely harden and entrench them on both sides..
    I don't think having a message of support for a movement on the back of a shirt is preaching, it's not as if they're coming to your house and making a speech in your kitchen. But if you're going to take it so personally that's your prerogative

Also I'd love to know who all the £500000 a week footballers in the Premiership are

It's like the poppy thing, the poppy thing was never a thing for football before but now in recent years for some reason unbeknown to me it has become a thing and they expect Serbians who were bombed by NATO and those that identify as Irish to wear them on their football shirts.

People don't like being preached to. Some £500,000-week-footballer telling me how to think? No thanks. But the irony of your comment is probably lost on you. Such 'tokenism' won't change anything or anyone's views, more likely harden and entrench them on both sides..
    They're not telling you how to think. They're telling you how they think. Perhaps such 'tokenism' could have an influence on a small percentage of younger supporters who regard these players as heroes. If so, that's good. It may also help to keep the issue of racism in the minds of those who run the game in this country. If so, that's also good. But if not, then no harm done. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You're correct that nothing will change the minds of daft old racists who don't like being preached to, but they're a lost cause anyway. I think almost everyone accepts that. As for entrenching views, can a dumb racist become an even dumber racist? I suppose that's possible, but it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Final point: if this sort of 'tokenism' genuinely annoys the racists in our society, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Premier League players' names will be replaced on the back of their shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' for the first 12 matches of the restarted season.

The Premier League will also support any player who chooses to 'take a knee' before or during matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53030146
    It's a nice thought. Maybe they should turn their attentions to getting black and asian people to football matches. That'd be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Final point: if this sort of 'tokenism' genuinely annoys the racists in our society, I'm all for it.
    Don't forget the hopeless dunces...though of course they could be racist as well

It’s getting very predictable what those who ‘question everything’ will actually question.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Don't forget the hopeless dunces...though of course they could be racist as well
    but us 'racist' hopeless dunces' always seem to pick the winners,like brexit,boris and trump,glad i'm not intelligent as you

Quote Originally Posted by Rogersblue View Post
    but us 'racist' hopeless dunces' always seem to pick the winners,like brexit,boris and trump,glad i'm not intelligent as you
    And how's that working out for us?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    And how's that working out for us?
    Exactly, what a terrible time to give that example

Exactly, what a terrible time to give that example
    And to think he was so comfortable with his headstone before you started messing with his mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogersblue View Post
    As Lennon said “How do you sleep?” Winners, you say ????? If so, I’m proud to be a loser.

This on the back of the shirts will show every idiotic racist the way forward, I can see these low lifes changing their ways through this gesture.