+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: London Demonstrations....

Re: London Demonstrations....

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I didn't see him "instantly getting outraged at the violence this week", rather wearily comparing the drunk fat blokes this weekend with the ones who have been an embarrassment to the England team for the last 30+ years, which seems like a pretty fair comparison on the face of it. but then I've only seen a few tweets of his, I'm not monitoring his timeline 24/7 to be fair.
    Its a fair comparison if you just take the one tweet in isolation but thats not Henrys point. Linekar was very active on Saturday in condemning those involved, but making excuses the week before. Linekars argument, much like some on this forum, seemed to be yes there were trouble makers last week but it was only a small percentage of protestors overall.

That argument doesnt wash when there was still hundreds of people involved in trouble on both weekends, and there was in fact more police injured at the BLM protests than there was last weekend yet only one side gets painted as trouble makers.

Both sides acting in this manner need to be called out. The far left are just as bad and just as dangerous as the far right.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Black footballer and BLM activist Karl Henry calls out Twitters answer to Sludge - Gary Linekar

https://twitter.com/karlhenry08/stat...11615445450752
    I think Henry has completely missed Lineker's point. The word 'football' was the clue.

Its a fair comparison if you just take the one tweet in isolation but thats not Henrys point. Linekar was very active on Saturday in condemning those involved, but making excuses the week before. Linekars argument, much like some on this forum, seemed to be yes there were trouble makers last week but it was only a small percentage of protestors overall.

That argument doesnt wash when there was still hundreds of people involved in trouble on both weekends, and there was in fact more police injured at the BLM protests than there was last weekend yet only one side gets painted as trouble makers.

Both sides acting in this manner need to be called out. The far left are just as bad and just as dangerous as the far right.
    The far left are not afraid to put the boot in

The far right plant bombs

Watch BBC 1 tonight at half seven

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think Henry has completely missed Lineker's point. The word 'football' was the clue.
    Maybe, but Henry's point was that Lineker only seems to condemn when there's a football association. Both are bad, yet Lineker was silent over one situation.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What, like the BLM demonstrations last week ??
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

There is an old Italian saying that there two types of fascist - fascists and anti-fascists

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Maybe, but Henry's point was that Lineker only seems to condemn when there's a football association. Both are bad, yet Lineker was silent over one situation.
    That's illogical.

Gary Lineker, Match of the Day presenter and former England football international, commented on a bunch of muppets who have labelled themselves as the Democratic Football Lads Alliance and were attacking the police while chanting 'England'. He pointed out that their association with football is depressing and he attempted to distance them from the sport he loves.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Had those who were rioting the week before labelled themselves as the BLM Football Lads Alliance, I suspect he would have made similar remarks. But they didn't. So he didn't.

Is TV football presenter Lineker expected to comment on and condemn all violence that is no way associated with football? If so, he's going to be a busy boy.

That's illogical.

Gary Lineker, Match of the Day presenter and former England football international, commented on a bunch of muppets who have labelled themselves as the Democratic Football Lads Alliance and were attacking the police while chanting 'England'. He pointed out that their association with football is depressing and he attempted to distance them from the sport he loves.

Had those who were rioting the week before labelled themselves as the BLM Football Lads Alliance, I suspect he would have made similar remarks. But they didn't. So he didn't.

Is TV football presenter Lineker expected to comment on and condemn all violence that is no way associated with football? If so, he's going to be a busy boy.
    It's perfectly logical given Lineker using his twitter account to comment on all sorts of social issues the last few years.

If he only ever tweeted about football, then I'd agree with you - instead Lineker has been conveniently silent when it suits and cynical old me thinks that's partly down to not wanting to risk his new found status on twitter.

That's illogical.

If you think Linekers tweet is just merely about football and hooligans who attach themselves to the sport then you clearly do not have Twitter.

It's perfectly logical given Lineker using his twitter account to comment on all sorts of social issues the last few years.

If he only ever tweeted about football, then I'd agree with you - instead Lineker has been conveniently silent when it suits and cynical old me thinks that's partly down to not wanting to risk his new found status on twitter.
    Spot on.

Conveniently silent when it suits. Interesting take on the situation. So are you suggesting Lineker has an obligation to Tweet about things? Is he that important?

If you think Linekers tweet is just merely about football and hooligans who attach themselves to the sport then you clearly do not have Twitter.
    You're right, I don't have Twitter. If Karl Henry's tweet is regarded as making a lot of sense, then it's probably for the best.

Conveniently silent when it suits. Interesting take on the situation. So are you suggesting Lineker has an obligation to Tweet about things? Is he that important?
    He’s tweeting about the violence the week before. Downplaying the sort of violence he was chastising this weekend. Hence Karl Henry calling him out on his hypocrisy.

He’s tweeting about the violence the week before. Downplaying the sort of violence he was chastising this weekend. Hence Karl Henry calling him out on his hypocrisy.
    What did he tweet about the violence the week before?

What did he tweet about the violence the week before?
    The usual excuses. Not that many involved in the grand scheme of the protest but you can apply that excuse to football hooligans.

Obligation? No.

When he's very vocal on topics yet ignores / excuses similar, then are you saying it's wrong to question why?

Is he that important? Not really, but when you look at the follower numbers..

No

The usual excuses. Not that many involved in the grand scheme of the protest but you can apply that excuse to football hooligans.
    I see. I'm scarcely Lineker's biggest fan, but I think he's right on this occasion. Personally, I don't believe the two cases under scrutiny are directly comparable. I know the majority of people like to see things in simplistic terms, but life's obviously not like that. From my perspective, what happened a week ago was in no way comparable to what happened on Saturday.

An element of the protestors at the black lives matter were up for disorder

The whole point of this gathering of " lads " in london was to seek out confrontation and violence , no hidden agenda or getting carried away , they gathered for aggro

As they did in manchester but unfortunately for them they met wrexham

No
    It's entirely up to you

Here you are saying the left is as bad as the right , here is a chance to watch something about the far right

And I am telling you there is a programme on neo nazis on bbc 1 tonight at half seven , unless they change the schedule

It is your opportunity to watch a programme on far right extremists and you can come back here and comment on it

But you dont want to watch it

I will leave it at that and draw my own conclusions

When he's very vocal on topics yet ignores / excuses similar, then are you saying it's wrong to question why?
    Not at all. Question away. I'd guess that's one of Twitter's primary functions.

I've never really understood the vilification of people like Lineker. He's just a TV presenter. Personally, I've got no great interest in what he has to say, so I don't follow him on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or whatever, just as I don't follow countless other TV presenters I've got no great interest in. What I find strange is this obsession people have these days with hounding celebrities who they apparently don't like or agree with, but that's the world we live in now I guess.

It's entirely up to you

Here you are saying the left is as bad as the right , here is a chance to watch something about the far right

And I am telling you there is a programme on neo nazis on bbc 1 tonight at half seven , unless they change the schedule

It is your opportunity to watch a programme on far right extremists and you can come back here and comment on it

But you dont want to watch it

I will leave it at that and draw my own conclusions
    and he's preaching 'both sides'

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    blue matt... The man who always "knows" someone that can back-up his argument. I know a copper who told me that you like wearing tutus whilst eating hotdogs btw.

I'd love for you to link us to the posts you've seen by BLM campaigners who have "distanced themselves" from 'Antifa' as I find it very hard to believe. From what I can gather, 'Antifa' is barely a presence in the UK. Just had a look to see if they even have an online presence in the UK. Less than 600 FB followers and a 'parody' Twitter account run by the Alt-Right.

Think someone's telling porkies, Matthew.
    what part are you struggling with ? ??

I know police officers, ive made no secret of that, Ive mentioned them a few times on here, my bro-in law was armed response ( a few years ago he retired from the force ) My ex-next door neighbour and my best mate is a police officer, I occasionally have a night out with a few of his mates, one who is the dad of my oldest daughters friend, one goes to the same VW club as i occasionally attend

I have loads of stories, I try to interact with people, always have, try it a few times ( but dont mention your dreams straight away, that might put people off ), you might enjoy it

The fact that the few police i know use the term antifa, not the wildest story i must admit, considering the police love to abbreviate things, and the term is a generic term for " anti fascist protest groups " maybe just maybe they were using the term before trump

So you honestly think BLM protesters, you know the people who go to a park, socially distance and then take a knee, have a picnic and then go home havent distanced themselves from the " extremists " fighting with the police and smashing things up, naive

so you looked for FB / twitter followers of antifa, we have already come to the conclusion that they are not a group, just a generic term, infact i can help you with trying to understand it

Antifa is the boogeyman name attached by the Alt-Right to anything that doesn't remotely resemble a right-wing group. Antifa doesn't even exist as a protest group

so you spent time searching for them online, that really was a rookie mistake i am afraid to say

finally, your "told me that you like wearing tutus whilst eating hotdogs " line, while i am slightly flattered, i am straight and happily married, so can you keep your homoerotic dreams to yourself

Not at all. Question away. I'd guess that's one of Twitter's primary functions.

I've never really understood the vilification of people like Lineker. He's just a TV presenter. Personally, I've got no great interest in what he has to say, so I don't follow him on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or whatever, just as I don't follow countless other TV presenters I've got no great interest in. What I find strange is this obsession people have these days with hounding celebrities who they apparently don't like or agree with, but that's the world we live in now I guess.
    Don't disagree, left twitter 6 months ago and not really missed it. For many, it's more the issue of him putting on a persona to gain followers rather than out of actual conviction, but whatever floats his boat.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    what part are you struggling with ? ??

I know police officers, ive made no secret of that, Ive mentioned them a few times on here, my bro-in law was armed response ( a few years ago he retired from the force ) My ex-next door neighbour and my best mate is a police officer, I occasionally have a night out with a few of his mates, one who is the dad of my oldest daughters friend, one goes to the same VW club as i occasionally attend

I have loads of stories, I try to interact with people, always have, try it a few times ( but dont mention your dreams straight away, that might put people off ), you might enjoy it

The fact that the few police i know use the term antifa, not the wildest story i must admit, considering the police love to abbreviate things, and the term is a generic term for " anti fascist protest groups " maybe just maybe they were using the term before trump

So you honestly think BLM protesters, you know the people who go to a park, socially distance and then take a knee, have a picnic and then go home havent distanced themselves from the " extremists " fighting with the police and smashing things up, naive

so you looked for FB / twitter followers of antifa, we have already come to the conclusion that they are not a group, just a generic term, infact i can help you with trying to understand it

Antifa is the boogeyman name attached by the Alt-Right to anything that doesn't remotely resemble a right-wing group. Antifa doesn't even exist as a protest group

so you spent time searching for them online, that really was a rookie mistake i am afraid to say

finally, your "told me that you like wearing tutus whilst eating hotdogs " line, while i am slightly flattered, i am straight and happily married, so can you keep your homoerotic dreams to yourself
    Matt, you can be straight and like wearing Tutus while eating hotdogs, you shouldn't stereotype sexuality. I'm disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Matt, you can be straight and like wearing Tutus while eating hotdogs, you shouldn't stereotype sexuality. I'm disappointed.
    You want to see some of the clothes I wear , very provocative