+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The return of football

The return of football

Now that it's about to happen, how do you feel about football returning in the UK? A few weeks ago, a reasonable percentage of this board's contributors were saying stuff like they didn't think it was appropriate, they weren't interested in football without fans in the stadiums, they wouldn't bother watching it, it's all about money and nothing else, etc. So how are those people feeling now that it's about to happen?

Personally, I'm really looking forward to it. For starters, it will be nice to have something new to talk about with friends and family. Although football behind closed doors is obviously far from ideal, I've felt all along that it's a much better solution than simply cancelling the remainder of the 2019/20 season, which is what plenty of people seemed to want. From my perspective, it will also be good to be able to have a bet on games again - something I really enjoy.

While football matches being played behind closed doors is clearly not a normal situation, the sport getting going again feels to me like another step towards normality. I'm really pleased it's happening.

Re: The return of football

Yes, I'm looking forward to it - not expecting a great deal from City mind.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I'm looking forward to it - not expecting a great deal from City mind.
    I'll be watching the Aston Villa v Sheffield United game on Wednesday - wouldn't have bothered with it under normal circumstances.

As for City and the rest of the teams in and around the play-off race, I think it's a case of anything could happen. I guess a lot will depend on what sort shape the players have managed to keep themselves in during the lockdown. I wonder if a team like Derby or QPR could mount a serious challenge now that things are resuming under such bizarre circumstances?

In Germany, the top five pre-lockdown are still the top five in the same order, but Schalke 04 have dropped right away from 6th to 11th. Meanwhile, the bottom three are still the same, but Werder Bremen are making much more of a fight of it.

I dont enjoy watching football really unless its City or a match with something on it such as a relegation or promotion decider or a play off.

Cant stand any of the top teams and will be switching off from the Sports Channels when the scousers lift the title. Its going to be unbearable.

Im glad sport is back on. Looking forward to the live cricket. I wish theyd reschedule the golf majors as well.

Im glad theres going to be football on. Most of it ill have no interest in though.

Id rather watch a crap City game live at the ground.

As already said football without fans is nothing so I won't be watching. Just the way I feel.

I'm looking forward to it if only to give me something to separate weekends from week days.
    Glad it's behind closed doors I'm not sure I want to be in crowds and pubs just yet.
    Also I'm glad they are finishing the season and not abandoning it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'll be watching the Aston Villa v Sheffield United game on Wednesday - wouldn't have bothered with it under normal circumstances.

As for City and the rest of the teams in and around the play-off race, I think it's a case of anything could happen. I guess a lot will depend on what sort shape the players have managed to keep themselves in during the lockdown. I wonder if a team like Derby or QPR could mount a serious challenge now that things are resuming under such bizarre circumstances?

In Germany, the top five pre-lockdown are still the top five in the same order, but Schalke 04 have dropped right away from 6th to 11th. Meanwhile, the bottom three are still the same, but Werder Bremen are making much more of a fight of it.
    I mentioned in my blog piece this morning that more than half of the games in the Bundesliga since it restarted have resulted in away wins. I was expecting an improvement in results for the away sides, but I'm baffled as to why they're doing so well - the first six games in Spain have two home wins and three away ones as well.

I think QPR have the forward talent to go on a good run, but there was plenty of opposition to the Championship starting so quickly from that club and so they might not be in the best frame of mind at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I mentioned in my blog piece this morning that more than half of the games in the Bundesliga since it restarted have resulted in away wins. I was expecting an improvement in results for the away sides, but I'm baffled as to why they're doing so well - the first six games in Spain have two home wins and three away ones as well.

I think QPR have the forward talent to go on a good run, but there was plenty of opposition to the Championship starting so quickly from that club and so they might not be in the best frame of mind at the moment.
    I'm not baffled by why they are doing so well.

Home advantage is a very powerful thing.

We have all been to games where the support for the home side has literally blown the ball into the net.

So the figures you quote don't surprise me at all.

International

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I'm looking forward to it if only to give me something to separate weekends from week days.
    Glad it's behind closed doors I'm not sure I want to be in crowds and pubs just yet.
    Also I'm glad they are finishing the season and not abandoning it.
    Even if it wasn't no one is going to make you attend are they?

Now that it's about to happen, how do you feel about football returning in the UK? A few weeks ago, a reasonable percentage of this board's contributors were saying stuff like they didn't think it was appropriate, they weren't interested in football without fans in the stadiums, they wouldn't bother watching it, it's all about money and nothing else, etc. So how are those people feeling now that it's about to happen?

Personally, I'm really looking forward to it. For starters, it will be nice to have something new to talk about with friends and family. Although football behind closed doors is obviously far from ideal, I've felt all along that it's a much better solution than simply cancelling the remainder of the 2019/20 season, which is what plenty of people seemed to want. From my perspective, it will also be good to be able to have a bet on games again - something I really enjoy.

While football matches being played behind closed doors is clearly not a normal situation, the sport getting going again feels to me like another step towards normality. I'm really pleased it's happening.
    I was ambivalent about it, it won't be the same watching City play in an empty stadium at home alone on a stream and I've never really been one to watch Premiership football at home.

But as it's getting closer and I start to chat about the starting lineup etc with my friends I'm getting more excited. Also the fantasy league starting up again is fun and I'm hoping that it's dry on Friday so a couple of mates can come round and watch Man Utd vs Spurs in the garden.

Kind of taking a World Cup attitude towards it, where every game is an event that (hopefully) we can watch together

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

We have all been to games where the support for the home side has literally blown the ball into the net.

As I said, I would expect away sides to do better, but your explanation makes it sound as if we're talking about Cup ties where the home team is a lower league underdog that should always lose in a one off game. Even without a home crowd to contend with, the away sides have had to sometimes travel long distances amid the uncertainties that the virus has created - there has to be more happening to explain why away sides are winning more than double the games the home team are.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I was ambivalent about it, it won't be the same watching City play in an empty stadium at home alone on a stream and I've never really been one to watch Premiership football at home.

But as it's getting closer and I start to chat about the starting lineup etc with my friends I'm getting more excited. Also the fantasy league starting up again is fun and I'm hoping that it's dry on Friday so a couple of mates can come round and watch Man Utd vs Spurs in the garden.

Kind of taking a World Cup attitude towards it, where every game is an event that (hopefully) we can watch together
    Why didn't you tell us Mun U and spurs were playing in your garden?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't like missing home games.
    I've missed 5 in the last 20 years all for weddings holidays and illness.
    I'm just glad I don't have the option just yet.

It's not right that teams are playing and travelling around the country. It wasn't that long ago that we were lambasting Mr Cummings, but now it's alright to do it? Have things really moved on that much? I can't be bothered with it all until it's back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    It's not right that teams are playing and travelling around the country. It wasn't that long ago that we were lambasting Mr Cummings, but now it's alright to do it? Have things really moved on that much? I can't be bothered with it all until it's back to normal.
    well positioned , there is a lot irony about these days

But the point is they're doing it in a controlled way with social distancing, quarantining and testing. Not just some renegade who decided the rules he invented don't apply to him.

Also since then the rules in England have changed a lot, the theme parks and zoos are now open for example.

EDIT - And if a player tests positive for Covid I doubt he'll be travelling, like Cummings did

International

People are allowed to go to work!!!!

It will be a welcome change for people to go back to being irrationally hysterical over a game of football rather than covid and protests that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

Literally?

I've seen it suggested that away teams are more likely to go for it in empty stadiums. Reading uni did a study of closed doors games and found the home away ratio was very different to a normal league game.

Worth bearing in mind if anyone is putting bets on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TERRY BLUE View Post
    As already said football without fans is nothing so I won't be watching. Just the way I feel.
    Same for me, I'll have a passing interest, may watch one MoTD to see how it is with all the grounds empty, but beyond that, I can't see me wasting time on it. To be fair, the season was pretty boring anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Literally?

I've seen it suggested that away teams are more likely to go for it in empty stadiums. Reading uni did a study of closed doors games and found the home away ratio was very different to a normal league game.

Worth bearing in mind if anyone is putting bets on.
    I won't be putting any bets on. I think there are too many factors at play to make my weekly accumulator a complete failure as usual. May buy shares in William Hill though

I was going to say I can't believe anyone seriously believes there's a parallel between the two situations, but hey - it's the UK in 2020. Stupidity reigns supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I won't be putting any bets on. I think there are too many factors at play to make my weekly accumulator a complete failure as usual. May buy shares in William Hill though
    I did the Sky Super 6 yesterday on the six German games - I had 4 results correct out of 6 by comparison with my last pre-lockdown attempt in which I got 0 correct out of 6. I've had a decent season on the fixed odds overall, but I've found the Premier League to be a minefield and my Super 6 bets have been hopeless, so I'm hoping I'll do better with empty stadiums.

I did the Sky Super 6 yesterday on the six German games - I had 4 results correct out of 6 by comparison with my last pre-lockdown attempt in which I got 0 correct out of 6. I've had a decent season on the fixed odds overall, but I've found the Premier League to be a minefield and my Super 6 bets have been hopeless, so I'm hoping I'll do better with empty stadiums.
    This betting lark

I think you have a problem

Wise words