+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The return of football

Re: The return of football

Interesting (if you're interested in this sort of thing....) to see Glatzel's ex-team Heidenheim make the last play-off place yesterday, edging out none other than Hamburger SV who needed to draw at home (to Sandhausen) and lost 5-1!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Interesting (if you're interested in this sort of thing....) to see Glatzel's ex-team Heidenheim make the last play-off place yesterday, edging out none other than Hamburger SV who needed to draw at home (to Sandhausen) and lost 5-1!
    0-0 after the first leg, second leg on Monday night. Werder Bremen looked down and out before the lockdown break, but have battled back to at least give themselves a chance.

Still enjoying the return. Some great games and fine goals in the top two divisions and some real drama in the play-offs too.

Contrary to what the doom-mongers were suggesting, there were zero positive Covid-19 test results from the latest batch of tests in the Championship earlier in the week. More than 3,000 players and staff were tested at the 24 clubs and all came up negative.

I guess all those City fans who wanted the season abandoned and said they wouldn't watch football without crowds must be feeling a bit awkward right now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Still enjoying the return. Some great games and fine goals in the top two divisions and some real drama in the play-offs too.

Contrary to what the doom-mongers were suggesting, there were zero positive Covid-19 test results from the latest batch of tests in the Championship earlier in the week. More than 3,000 players and staff were tested at the 24 clubs and all came up negative.

I guess all those City fans who wanted the season abandoned and said they wouldn't watch football without crowds must be feeling a bit awkward right now.
    There are lots of cardiff fans who do not enjoy watching football without crowds

Why would they be feeling awkward ?

City won , it's not the same but city won

Be pleased for once in your miserable existence

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There are lots of cardiff fans who do not enjoy watching football without crowds

Do you ever actually read this message board properly?

There are a number of regular contributors who were dead set against the season restarting and said they wouldn't watch any matches if it did. I read similar comments from fans on other social media platforms before the restart. I suspect a few have changed their minds now.

The virus is barely out there in the public at the moment so I’m not surprised at all. Out of 3 million people in Wales was there even 30 new cases?

Do you ever actually read this message board properly?

There are a number of regular contributors who were dead set against the season restarting and said they wouldn't watch any matches if it did. I read similar comments from fans on other social media platforms before the restart. I suspect a few have changed their minds now.
    I have no idea what you are talking about

0-0 after the first leg, second leg on Monday night. Werder Bremen looked down and out before the lockdown break, but have battled back to at least give themselves a chance.
    Crazy if both Hamburg and Bremen end up in Bundesliga 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Crowd sound is added to TV feeds only... not sure if I prefer that tbh.
    Watching without the crowd noise is horrendous. At least with the noise you feel there is some sort of occasion going on. When left to the shouts of the players, it’s reduced to a parks kick about feel to it unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Watching without the crowd noise is horrendous. At least with the noise you feel there is some sort of occasion going on. When left to the shouts of the players, it’s reduced to a parks kick about feel to it unfortunately.
    I'm the opposite - I much prefer it without the fake crowd noise. I've been choosing that when the option's available. Been talking about this with a few friends and family members this week, and it seems some of us who used to attend reserve games prefer it without the canned crowd, while those who never bothered with any reserve games prefer the fake background noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Crazy if both Hamburg and Bremen end up in Bundesliga 2.
    Don't think Bremen have been in Bundesliga 2 since the early-Eighties.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

City won , it's not the same but city won

Be pleased for once in your miserable existence
    They must be plastics. dedicated city fans have been all to used to watching games with out fans!!!!!

Now that it's about to happen, how do you feel about football returning in the UK? A few weeks ago, a reasonable percentage of this board's contributors were saying stuff like they didn't think it was appropriate, they weren't interested in football without fans in the stadiums, they wouldn't bother watching it, it's all about money and nothing else, etc. So how are those people feeling now that it's about to happen?

Personally, I'm really looking forward to it. For starters, it will be nice to have something new to talk about with friends and family. Although football behind closed doors is obviously far from ideal, I've felt all along that it's a much better solution than simply cancelling the remainder of the 2019/20 season, which is what plenty of people seemed to want. From my perspective, it will also be good to be able to have a bet on games again - something I really enjoy.

While football matches being played behind closed doors is clearly not a normal situation, the sport getting going again feels to me like another step towards normality. I'm really pleased it's happening.
    I was sceptical about it returning but it does not appear to have caused any issues apart from the scousers getting over excited and unruly.

The positive point is that being able to watch sport on tv is for many an important pastime that can make long days bearable.

As a spectacle, with or without crowd noise, it has been flat and the incessant chatter of commentators and pundits seems even worse.

But our results have overridden the negatives and made our matches must watch TV and I guess that will continue whist we have a chance of the play offs.

For me, the fans have become less and less of a factor in watching games on TV. Probably starting with all seater stadia. When I was a kid I was fascinated by the Kop, the Gallowgate End, The Jungle, etc. Every season there would be the odd game that the Bob Bank seemed full and it was amazing. That's all gone now though. Maybe it's because I've been starved of football. Maybe it's because now we actually have a chance of getting into the playoffs. Maybe it's because I don't go to games anymore. I don't know. But at this moment, I honestly don't care about whether or not there are fans in the stands. I just want to watch the football.