+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dutch kids all return to school

Re: Dutch kids all return to school

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    maybe when infections here are as low in those countries then we will also be opening back up

It’s pretty low here in Wales but let’s keep everything shut until nobody dies of anything I reckon, apart from insanity, that allowed.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s pretty low here in Wales but let’s keep everything shut until nobody dies of anything I reckon, apart from insanity, that allowed.
    ... And that's why schools are now going to be opening in two weeks, like you were hoping for, instead of in September... ya clart

using this handy tool

We can see that the rate of infections per million in the UK today is what it was in Holland in the first week of May, and the rate of deaths per million are the same as the middle of May in the Netherlands.

On a like for like basis we are opening up a lot sooner than they did!

When does the school term end there? If I was a school teacher, I don't think I'd fancy being stuck in a classroom with 30 five or six year olds for 2 or 3 weeks. Why risk it? The first school mentioned had 432 kids in attendance. If they all washed their hands only once a day that would take over 14 1/2 hours. Let's say they have 10 sinks and each kid washes their hands 4 times, that's still almost 6 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think this is the 3rd or 4th time this has been pointed out.

When Denmark reopened the junior schools their infection rate was 0.6. It then rose to 0.9

Is all the UK currently 0.6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Well enough of them like your mate to stop schools opening for all in England until September, and they'll probably try and drag it out longer than that.

You only have to watch the news to see them roll out the teachers and Heads saying it's hard because little kids won't self distance.
    Fair play, you’ve responded to his question with a whirl of hard facts and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Fair play, you’ve responded to his question with a whirl of hard facts and statistics.
    When someone knows feck all, no point replying to them.

Well enough of them like your mate to stop schools opening for all in England until September, and they'll probably try and drag it out longer than that.

You only have to watch the news to see them roll out the teachers and Heads saying it's hard because little kids won't self distance.
    Isn't it obvious to anyone that's had kids or been around that the little ones don't have the self-discipline or concentration to not self-distance?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People Killed Falling Down Stairs Lives Matter
    I was told off for accessing and egressing on a wall half a metre tall before, you could literally sit down and swing your legs off and be on your merry way.. some witch saw and went off her health and safety head..caused ructions in our office.. so the next day I recorded her driving over 5mph with no belt on and no hard hat/glasses ( on site so required according to the rules she followed, and bashed me with)

Our lot sent it to her lot and that was that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Isn't it obvious to anyone that's had kids or been around that the little ones don't have the self-discipline or concentration to not self-distance?
    It’s a pointless exercise which they have abandoned in Holland, but kept it between kids and adults where they can. Must be the deep thought analysis they go through while smoking the weed that enables them to come up with such a ground breaking idea, it’s way out of unions and government leagues.....

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People Killed Falling Down Stairs Lives Matter
    I think these stair things will need banning until they are 100% safe. Maybe we need to ban alcohol, driving, and even having a dump. You will be shocked to hear how many people can die on the shitter. That’s it, no more dumps until it’s 100% safe to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Do you need statistics its obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When someone knows feck all, no point replying to them.
    I know your mates to scared to go to school you said so?

You said he's got the union involved so he doesn't have to go?

So after all the fuss and drama, my two are going back in for a whopping two half days in the next 6 weeks.....

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Yep.

My 2-year old's nursery re-opened last week. We had a letter explaining the measures that they were taking, but the basic position was: "you can't get children to socially distance, so we won't be doing it amongst the kids. Nor are we going to wear face masks, because it will just scare them". Instead they are trying to keep the kids in mini groups which do not interact with one another. So my son has 4 or 5 kids in his mini group, and amongst themselves they pretty much carry on as before. In addition they are doing a hell of a lot of cleaning, and a focus on washing hands. (it is working - he will happily spend 5 minutes washing his hands now). They are pretty vigilant when it comes to distancing amongst the adults/parents, though.

Obviously nursery is a different beast to schools: the staff to child ratio is 3-1 in nursery, and ten times that in a school. But I did have some respect for the nursery for deciding not to even try. Which, it seems, is also the policy for every supermarket I've been to during lockdown- I've yet to go to one where staff made any discernible effort to maintain distance from each other or the customers. Although by far and away the most flagrant breaches of the social distancing rules I've seen have been hospital staff, sat in huge groups eating their lunch right at the peak of the outbreak. Even my builders made token attempts to stay 2m apart, which is really quite difficult when you are lifting a bath which is 1.8m long.

So after all the fuss and drama, my two are going back in for a whopping two half days in the next 6 weeks.....
    Ex has had the email. My daughter isn't going and she isn't being pushed.

Do you need statistics its obvious?
    Pretend I’m as dull as dogshit (shouldn’t be too hard) and now enlighten me with your facts and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Ex has had the email. My daughter isn't going and she isn't being pushed.
    Well they are basically only going in for a chat and catchup with a few of their buddies, which is nice for them. I suggest the welsh education minister looks over to Europe in the next few weeks to see what’s going on, especially Holland. I quite enjoy home schooling my two, looking at the progress they have made with 1 to 1 teaching is interesting also compared to the usual 1 to 25. My six year old can now write better then me (not saying much) and his reading isn’t far behind either! Eye opener

Well they are basically only going in for a chat and catchup with a few of their buddies, which is nice for them. I suggest the welsh education minister looks over to Europe in the next few weeks to see what’s going on, especially Holland. I quite enjoy home schooling my two, looking at the progress they have made with 1 to 1 teaching is interesting also compared to the usual 1 to 25. My six year old can now write better then me (not saying much) and his reading isn’t far behind either! Eye opener
    You can withdraw your kids and home school them. It's an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You can withdraw your kids and home school them. It's an option for you.
    I know, but they love going to school, very sociable kids. I couldn’t do it to them, but I will do a bit more with them around school in the future now. No doubt we will still get work online anyway until the end if the year, maybe forever as it’s working well. It probably doesn’t help that the very few kids I know whose hippy type parents home school (badly) look like they will turn out to be the serial killers of the future and have the social skills of Kim Jong Drakeford

Mines been getting work and she's been happy to do it all herself at home and usually runs out. Quite proud of how she's kept at it, she reckons loads haven't bothered. She'll be going into year 9 next year.

It's good for them to see their mates, especially the younger ones, mines constantly in contact with her's on the phone and she's seen them from a distance a few times as they live local and all pretty near eachother

Mines been getting work and she's been happy to do it all herself at home and usually runs out. Quite proud of how she's kept at it, she reckons loads haven't bothered. She'll be going into year 9 next year.

It's good for them to see their mates, especially the younger ones, mines constantly in contact with her's on the phone and she's seen them from a distance a few times as they live local and all pretty near eachother
    Teenagers frequently catch up like they are now anyway, as you say. 6 and 8 year olds on zoom, doesn’t seem to work so well for them and the way they usually interact.

Teenagers frequently catch up like they are now anyway, as you say. 6 and 8 year olds on zoom, doesn’t seem to work so well for them and the way they usually interact.
    Her smaller brothers aren't that fussed on learning at home, and my sister who can be quite prim and proper and wants the best from the kids has just left her 5 year old to it as she doesn't see the point in stressing him out over it and having all the tantrums in the house, she does little bits with him but she hasn't gone above and beyond like we all thought she would

Kids are probably better off being stress free through all this anyway, plenty of time to catch up.

Her smaller brothers aren't that fussed on learning at home, and my sister who can be quite prim and proper and wants the best from the kids has just left her 5 year old to it as she doesn't see the point in stressing him out over it and having all the tantrums in the house, she does little bits with him but she hasn't gone above and beyond like we all thought she would

Kids are probably better off being stress free through all this anyway, plenty of time to catch up.
    Too right I know plenty who, despite moving to areas just to get in certain primary schools, have done hardly anything with their kids at all work wise. I think quite a few parents are realising the previous problem in school wasn’t down to the teachers after all....

People saying there's plenty of time to catch up - who are we expecting them to catch up with?

I've got 2 kids in state school and my girlfriend has a kid roughly the same age in private school.

My eldest gets a reasonable amount of work each day, maybe 3-4 hours and the teachers are online for a few hours each day. There are no repercussions from the school if they don't do the work (there are from me!)

My youngest gets about 3-4 hours of work set per week and his teacher seems to spend about an hour a day actually doing stuff (while still picking up full salary presumably).

In both of their classes I think about 50% of the class regularly attend as an absolute maximum, probably considerably less, and there's a good 25% who have never attended since lockdown began.

My gf's kid is between their ages, has probably 5-6 hours of work a day and the teachers online most of the day, with 100% attendance, it still isn't as good as being there, but at least they are making a decent effort of keeping up with education.

There is no way that the 25% of kids in my kids classes who haven't had any education for months are going to catch up with kids in better schools