+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Premier League football back today

Re: Premier League football back today

I listened to probably 5 minutes of the game on the radio. Couldn't take it any longer. Without hearing the crowd in the background and the anticipation of an attack or the appreciation of a tackle etc, I found it impossible to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Was just thinking the same thing on the throne. Technology is supposed to put an end to refereeing decisions costing teams games. Instead we've seen that technology isn't infallible, isn't always consistent and is probably more highly criticised when it goes wrong.
    It's a bit of a joke really when you realise how much is at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Am I the only one who’s wondering why the ref or linesman didn’t just give a goal in the old fashioned way, another new law hasn’t been slipped in preventing that, has it? Piss poor by the officials in my opinion, checking his watch for Christ’s sake, use your eyes man!!!!!
    Not sure if the 'referee' can overrule. In theory the ball could hit the back of the net, fall to the ground, and slowly roll back onto the goal line, and faulty technology say 'no goal' and play continue..

We could see in real time and with a replay within seconds that it was over the line.

VAR would have been watching exactly what we were watching. They should have intervened immediately and awarded the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    We could see in real time and with a replay within seconds that it was over the line.

VAR would have been watching exactly what we were watching. They should have intervened immediately and awarded the goal.
    We can blame technology all we like, if that incident occurred in a game in, say, 1930 or even a parks game, you’d 100% expect the officials to get it correct, it was as much, if not more, human error as much as VAR and Hawkeye’s fault.

Heisenberg

We can blame technology all we like, if that incident occurred in a game in, say, 1930 or even a parks game, you’d 100% expect the officials to get it correct, it was as much, if not more, human error as much as VAR and Hawkeye’s fault.
    I remember Roy Caroll being about 500ft behind the goal line, behind the stands and in the car park at Old Trafford when he pushed the ball back out of the goal for Man Utd.

Reading v Watford (I think) about 10 years ago had a ghost goal given when the ball went over the line... but it was the wrong side of the post.

Goal-line technology is absolutely required as the human eye is shit at getting these decisions right. Until yesterday, Hawkeye had done it's job correctly 100% of the time since it had been implemented. I'd take one Hawkeye mistake in several years over trusting the human eye, any day of the week.

This message has been brought to you by 'SkyNet': "We're not trying to overthrow you".

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I remember Roy Caroll being about 500ft behind the goal line, behind the stands and in the car park at Old Trafford when he pushed the ball back out of the goal for Man Utd.

Reading v Watford (I think) about 10 years ago had a ghost goal given when the ball went over the line... but it was the wrong side of the post.

Goal-line technology is absolutely required as the human eye is shit at getting these decisions right. Until yesterday, Hawkeye had done it's job correctly 100% of the time since it had been implemented. I'd take one Hawkeye mistake in several years over trusting the human eye, any day of the week.

This message has been brought to you by 'SkyNet': "We're not trying to overthrow you".
    Of course technology helps but the few mistakes that you’ve mention stand out a mile because of the rarity of them whereas in the history of football (pre VAR etc) there’s been thousands of similar goals given by the officials’ bare eyesight all over the world in all standards of football. If that goal hadn’t been given for Bridgend St over Splott Park in my day a few of my playing colleagues may just be emerging from Knox Road now.

Heisenberg

Of course technology helps but the few mistakes that you’ve mention stand out a mile because of the rarity of them whereas in the history of football (pre VAR etc) there’s been thousands of similar goals given by the officials’ bare eyesight all over the world in all standards of football. If that goal hadn’t been given for Bridgend St over Splott Park in my day a few of my playing colleagues may just be emerging from Knox Road now.
    I was just giving 2 examples of times when human errors were so bad that they were laughable. There are a lot more than that but those were the first two that sprang to mind. Referees and linesmen make mistakes in every game and giving goals that have gone 'over the line' are some of the hardest to judge with the naked eye.

Do you remember the Man City v Liverpool game last season where it looked like the ball had gone over the line from every angle, but because of Hawkeye, it was judged to have been about 2mm away from crossing it completely. That could have cost Man City the title had it been down to the officals making the call .

Now they have discovered a fault in their system, hopefully they can rectify it as it's been the best addition to the game in the last decade.

I'm not keen on how VAR is being used though. It has potential, but the way the offside laws have changed in order for VAR to be implemented is ridiculous.

International

I believe the biggest problem is when it overrules a call already made. The referee should have it as a tool to use if he is in doubt or his linesman is, where he can call for a review.
    If he is happy and firm and immediate in his decision it should stand.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I believe the biggest problem is when it overrules a call already made. The referee should have it as a tool to use if he is in doubt or his linesman is, where he can call for a review.
    If he is happy and firm and immediate in his decision it should stand.
    It’s sad and farcical that the referee is relying on a watch buzzing rather than carrying out what’s been the ref’s job for years and years. The technology should be a help in a contentious or doubtful situation, Sheffield United’s ‘goal’ last night was neither and should have been confirmed by either of the match officials, it was bread and butter to an experienced ref.

International

It’s sad and farcical that the referee is relying on a watch buzzing rather than carrying out what’s been the ref’s job for years and years. The technology should be a help in a contentious or doubtful situation, Sheffield United’s ‘goal’ last night was neither and should have been confirmed by either of the match officials, it was bread and butter to an experienced ref.
    Exactly my point. If you look at 'egg', if there is a forward pass in a move to a try and the ref does not ask for a TV examination it doesn't happen, however much people watching on TV may bay for it. That is the way it should be. It should be to assist the official not to overrule him.