+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alan Jones

Alan Jones

Awarded a Test cap 50 years after his only England appearance, he played against The Rest of the World in the Lords test of the series that took the place of the intended series against the ostracised South Africans. The series was late deemed not to be ‘full tests’ by the MCC so no cap for Jones. They’ve changed their stance now and Glamorgan’s 81 year old prolific batsman has finally received official recognition. What a Glamorgan stalwart he was, reliable opener for years, scored over 1000 runs every season from ‘61-‘83, tremendous achievement and a hero of my youth. Congratulations Alan (you Jack bastard).

Re: Alan Jones

Richly deserved. One of many Glammy players to be short changed when it came to Test cricket.

Pleased for him and his family, though I'd love him to tell the toffee nosed feckers to shove it.

Glamorgan legend no question.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Awarded a Test cap 50 years after his only England appearance, he played against The Rest of the World in the Lords test of the series that took the place of the intended series against the ostracised South Africans. The series was late deemed not to be ‘full tests’ by the MCC so no cap for Jones. They’ve changed their stance now and Glamorgan’s 81 year old prolific batsman has finally received official recognition. What a Glamorgan stalwart he was, reliable opener for years, scored over 1000 runs every season from ‘61-‘83, tremendous achievement and a hero of my youth. Congratulations Alan (you Jack bastard).
    This deserves an opportunity to show this wind-up of Geoffrey Boycott!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This deserves an opportunity to show this wind-up of Geoffrey Boycott!

brilliant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    brilliant!!!
    Boycott struggling to keep a lid on it there. Did he say that Jones bagged a pair? 5 & 0 wasn’t it? Or was Boycott only interested in his own statistic? Surely not Geoffrey

This means that Glammy lose an unenviable record. They used to have the record for the bowler with most career first class wickets without playing in a Test and the batsman with most career first class runs without playing in a Test. The former, Don Shepherd still applies but Alan Jones's record has now been handed on to the late John Langridge of Sussex.

Well done Alan, the recognition is a bit late but well deserved. He should have played earlier but unfashionable Glamorgan were never first in he thoughts of the selectors (except when Wilf Wooller was on the panel and Peter Walker got capped !)

Older Glammy fans will recall his brother Eifion who kept wicket and was nicknamed Barney Rubble due to his resemblance to the well known cartoon character.

Boycott struggling to keep a lid on it there. Did he say that Jones bagged a pair? 5 & 0 wasn’t it? Or was Boycott only interested in his own statistic? Surely not Geoffrey
    5 and 0, run out by Boycott both times or maybe I'm getting a bit confused there - run out by Boycott was a fate suffered by many after all.

Pleased to see that Alan Jones has been recognised for his one appearance for England which, incidentally, came against a team called Rest of the World which could easily have been renamed Best of the World because, apart from one or two of the England side perhaps, it genuinely was a team made up of the best around at that time.

I've never quite understood why Alan Jones' on/off England career such as it was has been such a cause for debate and, given that I think I'm right in saying that he was considered a test player for some time before they took that status away from him, I wouldn't take it for granted that it won't change again.

Alan Jones was my favorite player when I was a kid.
    He was given one chance.I remember Keith Fletcher given chance after chance,I was at St Helens when he took the Middlesex attack apart.Smashing sixies on the Mumbles Road in an innings 0f 187.

The
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    5 and 0, run out by Boycott both times or maybe I'm getting a bit confused there - run out by Boycott was a fate suffered by many after all.

Pleased to see that Alan Jones has been recognised for his one appearance for England which, incidentally, came against a team called Rest of the World which could easily have been renamed Best of the World because, apart from one or two of the England side perhaps, it genuinely was a team made up of the best around at that time.

I've never quite understood why Alan Jones' on/off England career such as it was has been such a cause for debate and, given that I think I'm right in saying that he was considered a test player for some time before they took that status away from him, I wouldn't take it for granted that it won't change again.
    Watching the piss take clip above, Boycott mentions that he only played in the 4th & 5th tests of that series Paul, Alan Jones was caught Engineer, bowled Procter in both innings. I s’pose that’s some sort of record in itself, a batsman in every test that he played in was caught by the same player while facing the same bowler with the added quirk that both wicketkeeper and bowler were from different countries.

The

Watching the piss take clip above, Boycott mentions that he only played in the 4th & 5th tests of that series Paul, Alan Jones was caught Engineer, bowled Procter in both innings. I s’pose that’s some sort of record in itself, a batsman in every test that he played in was caught by the same player while facing the same bowler with the added quirk that both wicketkeeper and bowler were from different countries.
    I know, I was only joking about one of my least favourite cricketers. I'm old enough to have seen what Boycott was like as a batsman and cricketer - the term "team player" would never apply to him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I know, I was only joking about one of my least favourite cricketers. I'm old enough to have seen what Boycott was like as a batsman and cricketer - the term "team player" would never apply to him.
    Not a likeable man, a Man Utd ‘fan’ from Yorkshire!!!!!!!! That must endear him to his fellow Tykes. It’s as if he’s purposely awkward....the prick!