+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Martin Luther King , 1965

Martin Luther King , 1965

Great film on bbc two tonight

Selma , the story of the struggle for black voting rights in America

Including a brilliant portrayal of the march from Selma after talks between King and the US president broke down

Re: Martin Luther King , 1965

Decent movie but with no rights to MLK's speeches it is fundamentally flawed.
    Hopefully Spielberg will finally get around to producing his version in the next few years although he managed to miss the 50th anniversary of MLK's assassination.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Hopefully Spielberg will finally get around to producing his version in the next few years although he managed to miss the 50th anniversary of MLK's assassination.
    I think it says it all about america that as late as 1965 the march for the vote was taking place and it's now 2020 and black people are still getting shafted

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Did you know that Samuel L Jackson was an usher at MLKs funeral

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...uest+Column%29

Interesting. Apparently, Congress voted to extend the copyright of his speeches beyond the normal 56 years.

All you posters i urge you to get on you tube and listen to Southern by OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Did you know that Samuel L Jackson was an usher at MLKs funeral

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...uest+Column%29
    That was a great read , thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    All you posters i urge you to get on you tube and listen to Southern by OMD.
    39 when he died , unbelievable isnt it ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think it says it all about america that as late as 1965 the march for the vote was taking place and it's now 2020 and black people are still getting shafted
    Do agree however there are some improvements from those very sad times ,notable the election of a black president ,Colin Luther Powel Secretary of State.

There are 52 African-American in the United States House of Representatives.

Should be more but progress

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do agree however there are some improvements from those very sad times ,notable the election of a black president ,Colin Luther Powel Secretary of State.

There are 52 African-American in the United States House of Representatives.

Should be more but progress
    I dont disagree but it's still not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Always shocked me that segregation and discrimination were legal in the USA until the 1968 Civil Rights Act, and indeed that there has been such slow progress in addressing the socio-economic consequences.

Always shocked me that segregation and discrimination were legal in the USA until the 1968 Civil Rights Act, and indeed that there has been such slow progress in addressing the socio-economic consequences.
    People from a non black background who supported the civil rights movement were seen as commies and pinkos yet in south africa many of the prominent anti apartheid movement were white liberals like helen suzman . And we have seen huge support from all backgrounds for the black lives matter movement in the states and all around the world . I think it's only when the majority stand up and say this shit has got to stop that anything happens .

You can look at the civil rights marches in the deep south in the sixties and the number of white faces walking arm in arm with black people is quite emotional to see.

But still a long way to go