+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Happy Mondays , Kinky Afro , great great guitar

Happy Mondays , Kinky Afro , great great guitar

https://youtu.be/O8maBsuhHr4

Thank god I went to college in manchester when this lot were hitting their stride

Some great looking women in that video

Bez is off his face

Re: Happy Mondays , Kinky Afro , great great guitar

only 5 minute merchants them lot no threat to real music

talking of real music the queen is dead was released 34 years this week
    remember buying it from spillers records getting done for speeding on my way to town to buy it mind you no points on your licence back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3UMjNUqFM

so i broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    only 5 minute merchants them lot no threat to real music
    Oooffff. Each to their own I suppose. The Mondays were/are a great band. When on top form and not smashed on drugs their live performances are superb. Which is more often nowadays.

Some of the riffs such as the one on Kinky Afro are brilliant. I love the fusion mix of indie guitar and dance music. A great band to dance to live and at a club.

Plenty of bangers in the back catalogue. WFL, 24 Hour Party People and the overlooked Stinkin Thinkin.

Black Grape continue the fine work too. The firat album was fantastic as was the last one that they released.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffster View Post
    Oooffff. Each to their own I suppose. The Mondays were/are a great band. When on top form and not smashed on drugs their live performances are superb. Which is more often nowadays.

Some of the riffs such as the one on Kinky Afro are brilliant. I love the fusion mix of indie guitar and dance music. A great band to dance to live and at a club.

Plenty of bangers in the back catalogue. WFL, 24 Hour Party People and the overlooked Stinkin Thinkin.

Black Grape continue the fine work too. The firat album was fantastic as was the last one that they released.
    Black Grape played Merthyr Rising last year. They were decent but prefer the Monday’s.

Kinky Afro - “Son I’m thirty, I only went with your mother cos I’m dirty” what an opening line.

Pop Voodoo is a great album. Got lots going on in it.

Saw Black Grape in St. Paul’s, Bristol when they first started out. Didn’t bode well when Ryder was in the audience watching them tune up completely ****ed out of his face. They actually sounded ok mind.

The Monday’s live were either brilliant or a ****ing mess. I think they’re actually underrated due to their notoriety and propensity for gargling drugs.

I like the way the riff to kinky afro dominates the song

Hallelujah was another great ditty

Preferred the mondays to the stone Roses , who had their moments and the inspiral carpets had some great songs, Saturn 5 had a superb intro

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Pop Voodoo is a great album. Got lots going on in it.

Saw Black Grape in St. Paul’s, Bristol when they first started out. Didn’t bode well when Ryder was in the audience watching them tune up completely ****ed out of his face. They actually sounded ok mind.

The Monday’s live were either brilliant or a ****ing mess. I think they’re actually underrated due to their notoriety and propensity for gargling drugs.
    Their last album , produced by tina Weymouth of talking heads was a disaster . They went to the west indies to record it and as soon as they got there bez and Ryder got stuck into the crack cocaine .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Their last album , produced by tina Weymouth of talking heads was a disaster . They went to the west indies to record it and as soon as they got there bez and Ryder got stuck into the crack cocaine .
    Not a great business or career move to send them to the Caribbean and surrounded by drugs to record ‘Yes Please’. I read somewhere Ryder was on a hefty methadone script prior to travelling. Wasn’t they still Factory at the time? You’d have thought Tony Wilson might have seen that particular flaw in any recording plan?

Some of the mixes about for WFL are pure bliss. Particularly the Vince Clarke & Oakenfold efforts. It’s my ‘going out’ music.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Black Grape played Merthyr Rising last year. They were decent but prefer the Monday’s.

Kinky Afro - “Son I’m thirty, I only went with your mother cos I’m dirty” what an opening line.
    It's right up there to be fair

Gods cop off pills thrills and belly aches is hilarious , james anderton was the chief constable of greater manchester police all those years ago and was off his head , he believed god had put him there to clean up the streets . Like a lot of Christian's he was very right wing . He commissioned the force to build armoured riot Vans with water cannons on top . The trouble was once they were fitted up with all the gear they were so slow moving they were scrapped . Cost the city millions .

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Not a great business or career move to send them to the Caribbean and surrounded by drugs to record ‘Yes Please’. I read somewhere Ryder was on a hefty methadone script prior to travelling. Wasn’t they still Factory at the time? You’d have thought Tony Wilson might have seen that particular flaw in any recording plan?

Some of the mixes about for WFL are pure bliss. Particularly the Vince Clarke & Oakenfold efforts. It’s my ‘going out’ music.
    Really sad to see how much they have both aged , yes I think they were still with FACTORY

Have you seen 24 hour party people ? Coogan is superb as wilson

Reading an article about Ryder the other day, even though he had to file for bankruptcy he still paid back every penny of his debts otherwise he would have lost all the royalties to his music.

It’s only now he’s done a bit of reality TV workthis last decade that he’s making decent money again.

Interesting fella, enjoy listening to him, refreshingly honest.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Really sad to see how much they have both aged , yes I think they were still with FACTORY

Have you seen 24 hour party people ? Coogan is superb as wilson
    I have. Funnily enough very recently, the wife must've bought me the DVD years ago and I watched it since lockdown began.

I initially thought Coogan was embellishing Wilson then remembered the Mondays 'Call the Cops' video where Wilson's promotion of Ryder & co was over the top verbally extravagant.

Wilson dropped a couple of bollocks mind group wise.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Reading an article about Ryder the other day, even though he had to file for bankruptcy he still paid back every penny of his debts otherwise he would have lost all the royalties to his music.

It’s only now he’s done a bit of reality TV workthis last decade that he’s making decent money again.

Interesting fella, enjoy listening to him, refreshingly honest.
    I like Ryder, he's very observant and sharp with his opinions. He's a great story teller too. Black Grapes Pop Voodoo is Laden with them.

Obviously being cleanish has helped.

Their first album is very underrated and seldom heard. Squirrel and gman 24 hr party people etc. Some lovely lazy groove guitar. Produced by John Cale.

Tart Tart is one of my favourite Monday's tunes, that guitar intro is groovy as feck

Love'em, incredible band.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    Tart Tart is one of my favourite Monday's tunes, that guitar intro is groovy as feck

Love'em, incredible band.
    Great shout 'Tart Tart'.