+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowflakes want to ban Delilah now...jeez

Re: Snowflakes want to ban Delilah now...jeez

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I just read that Tom Jones said he would never sing this again....ye gods....I despair at all of this.
    With a bit of luck, Tom wont sing anything again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    With a bit of luck, Tom wont sing anything again.
    Or I can't sing it again is more likely ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Or I can't sing it again is more likely ??
    I can't stand Tom Jones, with his shitty Vegas stories about him and Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Wouldn't the snowflakes be the ones that get all upset over a song being discouraged at sporting events? Like the people that get all bent out of shape about wearing masks? The Delilah thing probably wont even happen. Nothingburger.
    EXACTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    EXACTLY!
    These threads are comedy, It reminds me of Stewart Lee's Nan saying to him that she cant even have a hot cuppa at the hairdressers anymore while she's waiting for her hair to set, just incase an ethnic person walks past and get's offended, Completely putting her own spin on political correctness and not really understanding The Health and Safety at work act. It was funny when he said it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    These threads are comedy, It reminds me of Stewart Lee's Nan saying to him that she cant even have a hot cuppa at the hairdressers anymore while she's waiting for her hair to set, just incase an ethnic person walks past and get's offended, Completely putting her own spin on political correctness and not really understanding The Health and Safety at work act. It was funny when he said it!
    It's the irony about people having a tantrum at the very possibility of something changing that they want to keep the same, and the whole time they call the other people involved snowflakes for being sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    it's worse than that ...these days if you say you're English they'll throw you in jail.
    ...what?...if you say you're English these days , they throw you in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZG-Ig3M7r4

Nice one Glenn.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ional-18460723
    Welsh rugby's first black international player slams proposals to ban England's 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' song
    Glenn Webbe.jpg
    Wales' first black international rugby player has labelled the sport's plans to outlaw English song 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot', over its links to slavery, as 'PC gone bonkers'.

"It will not stop English fans from singing it. What then? Accuse each fan of being a racist! PC gone bonkers.

"I'll decide what offends me. No need to be offended on my behalf."

He kills me , everything the right wing love to hate

Have you seen the sketch where he reads out some of the hate mail he has received?

Stupid feckers

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Nice one Glenn.
    Welsh rugby's first black international player slams proposals to ban England's 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' song
    Glenn Webbe.jpg
    Wales' first black international rugby player has labelled the sport's plans to outlaw English song 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot', over its links to slavery, as 'PC gone bonkers'.

"It will not stop English fans from singing it. What then? Accuse each fan of being a racist! PC gone bonkers.

And of course it must be stated that lots of other black people will be offended by the song, unlike webby

Gerald Cordle when playing for cardiff against neath was called a monkey so jumped into the crowd and handed out some justice . He was clearly offended by the remark and didnt need anyone to be offended on his behalf .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He kills me , everything the right wing love to hate

Have you seen the sketch where he reads out some of the hate mail he has received?

Stupid feckers
    No I'll have a look now though

Nice one Glenn.
    Glenn Webbe.jpg

He's right in that it'll never be policed though, which poor steward on a part time minimum wage is going to go and tell a stand of pissed rugby fans to stop singing a song? I feckin wouldn't, and I've always thought it's weird that a white mostly middle class crowd of English rugby fans sing a slave song

I don't think many knew of it's slave association when it started. I believe it was first sung as a play on words to Martin 'Chariots' Offiah when a large white, mostly middle class crowd were singing it in praise of him, a black man.

He's right in that it'll never be policed though, which poor steward on a part time minimum wage is going to go and tell a stand of pissed rugby fans to stop singing a song? I feckin wouldn't, and I've always thought it's weird that a white mostly middle class crowd of English rugby fans sing a slave song
    It is of course true that the song was sung in praise of martin offiah and chris Oti who were known as chariots for their speed but it is a slavery song . Are english rugby fans racist ? Certainly no more so than welsh rugby fans

I don't think many knew of it's slave association when it started. I believe it was first sung as a play on words to Martin 'Chariots' Offiah when a large white, mostly middle class crowd were singing it in praise of him, a black man.
    Indeed

It is of course true that the song was sung in praise of martin offiah and chris Oti who were known as chariots for their speed but it is a slavery song . Are english rugby fans racist ? Certainly no more so than welsh rugby fans
    Oh I know, I'm not suggesting it's a crowd full of racists singing it, most of them probably have no idea it's a slave song. It's just a weird thing to sing at a sports event that's all, same as Delilah

And of course it must be stated that lots of other black people will be offended by the song, unlike webby

Gerald Cordle when playing for cardiff against neath was called a monkey so jumped into the crowd and handed out some justice . He was clearly offended by the remark and didnt need anyone to be offended on his behalf .
    So, I won't get offended on behalf of all the people who don't want me to be offended on their behalf, and will respect, and won't be offended by anyone who gets offended on behalf of people who do want them to be offended on their behalf. And good on Gerald Cordle too, never heard of that incident, great stuff.

In jail? They will actually throw you in jail? Just for saying you're English?

..saying if Swing Low is banned then a song about someone killing a woman because she laughed at him should be too...
    It's not real life you *****
    Who said it's snowflakes? Use of such language is only divisive to society.

If you really believe that, I'd seek immediate help. This ranks among the most stupid comments I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If you really believe that, I'd seek immediate help. This ranks among the most stupid comments I've ever read.
    https://youtu.be/XkCBhKs4faI

International

But all rugby teams used to sing it regardless of race until the English "stole" it as their unofficial anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But all rugby teams used to sing it regardless of race until the English "stole" it as their unofficial anthem.
    It used to be sung in rugby clubs up and down the country post match for years (way before Martin Offiah) with bawdy pantomime like actions to the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It used to be sung in rugby clubs up and down the country post match for years (way before Martin Offiah) with bawdy pantomime like actions to the lyrics.
    You are correct, I'm not too well up on rugby folklore, and took it at face value when I read about it being started at Twickenham. The puerile hand gestures rang a bell, pathetic, but harmless. I briefly looked into the song here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_Low,_Sweet_Chariot . From my understanding, white people embracing this song is a positive thing. Just my opinion. I'm sure anyone who wants it banned has good intentions, but genuinely feel that, as well as being unenforceable, it's counter productive.

In 1939, Nazi Germany's Reich Music Examination Office added the song to a listing of "undesired and harmful" musical works.[6]

The song enjoyed a resurgence during the 1960s Civil Rights struggle and the folk revival; it was performed by a number of artists. Perhaps the most famous performance during this period was that by Joan Baez during the legendary 1969 Woodstock festival.

Seems the Nazi's were politically correct and Joan Baez is a racist?