+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Premier League/Championship since the restart

Premier League/Championship since the restart

Much has been made about away teams having an advantage in other leagues that have resumed. 4 days into this resumption and this trend seems to be continuing in the Prem/Championship.

There have been 19 games so far between the top 2 divisions. They have seen the following:

Home wins - 3
    Away wins - 9
    Draws - 7
    Home goals - 15
    Away goals - 26
    Games where the home team has failed to score - 10
    Games where the away team has failed to score - 3
    Number of games where the home team has been in front (at any time) - 5
    Number of games where the away team has been in front (at any time) - 15

Firstly it's important to consider the fixtures to start off with. 11 of those 19 games had the away side as being higher in the table than the home team, so better results for the away teams might not be such a surprise. However, in those 11 games where the away team was higher in the table, only 4 of those won their away games, 2 lost. In the 8 games where the home team was the higher in the table, only 1 won, 5 lost. If you took higher league position as making a team favourite for that match, 5 favourites won while 7 favourites lost.

Re: Premier League/Championship since the restart

Surely to God home advantage only means anything if you've got the home fans supporting you? Without fans football is meaningless anyway. I can't stand watching any more games without fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TERRY BLUE View Post
    Surely to God home advantage only means anything if you've got the home fans supporting you?
    I think there's a bit more to it than that. Home teams don't travel potentially long distances. I know some clubs have better facilities for home players. There's familiarity of the ground, pitch etc.

On the opposite side of the coin, I sometimes wonder if a coach trip for the away team can be galvanising for team spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think there's a bit more to it than that. Home teams don't travel potentially long distances. I know some clubs have better facilities for home players. There's familiarity of the ground, pitch etc.

On the opposite side of the coin, I sometimes wonder if a coach trip for the away team can be galvanising for team spirit.
    Those things still have to happen though. The only thing that's different is the fans and substitutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Those things still have to happen though. The only thing that's different is the fans and substitutions.
    Apart from cheating Crystal Palace last night (what an awful ref), I’ve noticed the getting shot by a sniper and rolling around the pitch has stopped.

Supporters do influence tempo of games, i think at points can give players and extra burst. Any stats on set pieces goals, i just feel like there will be less.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Exactly, so there should still be some advantage to playing at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Supporters do influence tempo of games, i think at points can give players and extra burst. Any stats on set pieces goals, i just feel like there will be less.
    We'll know by about 2.15 this afternoon!!

Away teams may have more “team spirit” they are all in it together and have to travel together and bond.
    Whereas home teams are just looking forward to getting it over with so they can get home?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Away teams may have more “team spirit” they are all in it together and have to travel together and bond.
    Whereas home teams are just looking forward to getting it over with so they can get home?
    And on the following weekend, teams who had team spirit now want to get it over with?

I imagine that teams playing away at what are normally intimidating stadiums with a raucous atmosphere will get a huge psychological boost in the current situation.

For example, the FA cup game where we beat Leeds would have been a comfortable away win had Ninian Park been empty that day

My first impression was there seems to be a lack of intensity without the fans there demanding and driving players on, but that could be be because it's the 1st games back too.

As a spectacle, it's deffinately not as good without supporters bringing the noise, colour and atmosphere. However, did seem like the atmosphere was actually better at the London Stadium

Be interesting to see if home advantage continues to be less of a factor as we go through this period.