+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shops in city centre tomorrow....

Re: Shops in city centre tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’ve always wondered why the pubs along that stretch in front of the castle never seem to do that well, wide pavements and plenty of footfall, nice views of the castle and grounds but never take off. In fact most just close down like the castle arms and that huge unit that used to be a motor bike shop is still empty after 10 years or so.....it could be a great location for a pub or cafe
    The Rummer is very popular, they dropped it to around £2 a pint a couple of years ago and it worked. Rammed in there before City games even though it’s nowhere near the ground. They have a singer now and again, not a bad venue now and no ridiculous prices.

International

All the shop owners on Castle St and in the arcades are complaining because it badly affects their business. They said that they hadn't been warned about it. The council said they had, the council sent letters to all the affected businesses on saturday afternoon.
    I drove my wife into town this morning to catch the No 9 bus, when I got to the Westgate the road to Westgate street was closed. When I indicated to go that way a girl came over and said, 'The road's closed you can only get to Westgate street I told her that's where I wanted to go and she groaned moved the barriers for me and then put them all back. When I was waiting at the same lights to come out again she had the same performance with 3 other vehicles. There is no reason for them to be there. The council said the road was closed from the Angel. My wife waited over 30 minutes before the driver of another bus told her the No 9 wouldn't be stopping there because it normally came from Westgate street and it couldn't get through. There were no signs telling anyone because apparently the council didn't bother to tell the bus company until Saturday afternoon either.
    I posted on the up-date thread about their incompetence regarding the market not being allowed to re-open, more waste of money.
    I agree with blue Tit they are so anti-car they have tried every excuse they can think of to close the city off time and again.
    now people are being told to use their cars to save contamination on public transport and they are still doing it.

“I agree with BLUETIT they are so anti-car they have tried every excuse they can think of to close the city off time and again.
    now people are being told to use their cars to save contamination on public transport and they are still doing it”

The council were over the moon, when that frigging boat turned up and blocked Castle Street and they made NO ATTEMPTS TO MOVE IT.

They want traffic out of town, but if they close it permanently, it will only force traffic onto Cathedral Road

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    The Castle Street closure will enable the build of a covered, outdoor seating area on Castle Street and in the Castle moat. This area is being designed for local restaurant and cafes to use. It will help them reopen their businesses and serve customers they would otherwise lose because of social distancing requirements on their premises.
    As far as I can gather, these morons have closed the main route in and out of the city centre for the rest of the summer so that they can build a glorified gazebo to be used by a small number of people when the weather's good. Brilliant. Imagine the disruption caused by road closures on rugby international day, only this will last for three months. Utterly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    The Castle Street closure will enable the build of a covered, outdoor seating area on Castle Street and in the Castle moat. This area is being designed for local restaurant and cafes to use. It will help them reopen their businesses and serve customers they would otherwise lose because of social distancing requirements on their premises.

Source:
    https://www.cardiffnewsroom.co.uk/re...ntent=COVID-19
    We should shut all roads in the centre, and give our fair City a chance to breathe, folk could walk safely , children could run , cafes could expand into paved areas, local small business could operate small market place pavement stalls and help kick start the economy of Cardiff .

No buses or cars , just cycle and walk ways , using ones legs will enhance our nation health , help with obesity, diabetes, and ready ourselves for the second wave of Corvid , has no one listened to scientist and Greta, FFS .

Just knocking up a nice long report for you to read later twerpo ok.
    I won’t bore you with the details too much but for anyone else this is what I noticed....
    It was very very quiet
    Lots of shops still not open
    The only queue I saw was for next before it had opened, all gone by 10.30 and a lot of stuff on sale well cheap
    Initially, seemed like every loon in Cardiff had descended on Queen street at 9.30 with an old guy belting out bing crosby tunes on a load speaker which you could only just hear due to some African looking dude who appears to have lost his mind sitting on the floor outside boots, just shouting ineligible stuff constantly. Not too many homeless folks, but enough loose units to keep you in your toes.
    No queue in Game so all sorted for my boys 9th birthday next week��
    Plenty of one way systems but so few people it didn’t matter.
    Make sure you have a pi$$ before you go....
    that aint a long report dude

we need to know :

how did you travel ?
    what shops did you visit ?
    what did you buy ?
    Did you meet anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    As far as I can gather, these morons have closed the main route in and out of the city centre for the rest of the summer so that they can build a glorified gazebo to be used by a small number of people when the weather's good. Brilliant. Imagine the disruption caused by road closures on rugby international day, only this will last for three months. Utterly ridiculous.
    You've left out giving local businesses a fighting chance at not going under out of this analysis. Also, if it's under cover then the weather won't need to be good. It's a pain in the ass for us drivers for sure, but it's been a pain in the ass for businesses to be closed for going on 4 months through no fault of their own too.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You've left out giving local businesses a fighting chance at not going under out of this analysis. Also, if it's under cover then the weather won't need to be good. It's a pain in the ass for us drivers for sure, but it's been a pain in the ass for businesses to be closed for going on 4 months through no fault of their own too.
    How many businesses? Employing how many people? At what cost to the public? And how many businesses all over the city centre will be negatively affected by the transport restrictions?

Also, do you really think a significant amount of people will go into the city centre to sit in a glorified gazebo and eat and drink when the weather's either mediocre or poor? Yeah, right.....

Hey, if we genuinely think this is a good idea, then why not close Heol-Y-Deri, the main road that runs through Rhiwbina, so that the Juboraj restaurant and the bakers and cafes in the village can set up tables and chairs in the middle of the road? And why not close Merthyr Road that runs through Whitchurch, where there are lots of bars, cafes and restaurants? I'm sure they could all set up in the middle of the street too. So why not? I'll tell you why not - because it's a shit idea.

How many businesses? Employing how many people? At what cost to the public? And how many businesses all over the city centre will be negatively affected by the transport restrictions?

Also, do you really think a significant amount of people will go into the city centre to sit in a glorified gazebo and eat and drink when the weather's either mediocre or poor? Yeah, right.....

Hey, if we genuinely think this is a good idea, then why not close Heol-Y-Deri, the main road that runs through Rhiwbina, so that the Juboraj restaurant and the bakers and cafes in the village can set up tables and chairs in the middle of the road? And why not close Merthyr Road that runs through Whitchurch, where there are lots of bars, cafes and restaurants? I'm sure they could all set up in the middle of the street too. So why not? I'll tell you why not - because it's a shit idea.
    You’ve lit the paper now gunman, that’s not a shit idea about rural rhiwbina anyway, the oldies will love it with no traffic passing through their quaint village.....expect to see the rd closed off in the next week or so.... as for the city centre, I’m not sure which places will make use of the facility, surely all the ones on st Mary Street will use st Mary st? Still, let’s get all Mediterranean. Bigger than Barcelona remember?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    From what I gather it’s the local businesses who are at the forefront of the complaints, particularly regarding lack of notice.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    that aint a long report dude

we need to know :

how did you travel ?
    what shops did you visit ?
    what did you buy ?
    Did you meet anyone ?
    I‘all save the 20 pager (and growing) for tuerto it got quite personal so I didn’t want to share exactly what I got up too..... I should be more specific like your Disney guides Matt
    I was going to cycle in on my Orange p7, but I started to get paranoid about it getting nicked As no doubt every scally would be back in for the first day of festivities with shops open. I could go in to far more detail here as I have a very good lock (New York kryptonite) but they could just nick the bits off it. Big call, decided to drive, park in Cathays for free and wander in. Lovely. Coming next.....what shops did I visit.....kids need breakfast so hang on

No one has yet mentioned the bus service in all of this.
    If they’re definitely shutting off Castle Street to all traffic, that means all buses from north Cardiff will be going to Greyfriers. Wonderful for people wanting to access the General Train Station (especially the oldies).
    As I’ve said numerous times, “this is the councils way of shutting it permanently”

GET RID OF THEM ALL AT THE NEXT ELECTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If they’re definitely shutting off Castle Street to all traffic, that means all buses from north Cardiff will be going to Greyfriers. Wonderful for people wanting to access the General Train Station (especially the oldies).
    As I’ve said numerous times, “this is the councils way of shutting it permanently”

As I was only on my first cup of coffee, I forgot about people who live in north Cardiff, but work down the BAY. What a lovely trip for them every day, scuttling across town, to catch a bus, whereas 1 bus covered that route in the past

As I was only on my first cup of coffee, I forgot about people who live in north Cardiff, but work down the BAY. What a lovely trip for them every day, scuttling across town, to catch a bus, whereas 1 bus covered that route in the past
    The trams will be up and running soon, un manned on solar power, bound to be free of charge

The trams will be up and running soon, un manned on solar power, bound to be free of charge
    I thought it was free drones to hang on to

I thought it was free drones to hang on to
    Another thread ruined by drones.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    From what I gather it’s the local businesses who are at the forefront of the complaints, particularly regarding lack of notice.
    Really? Can't say I've read about it in any great detail, it just seemed like a lifeline at first glance. I remember seeing that some cities in Europe had done it successfully

My legal team is still pulling together the facts and figures to answer your first few questions, we hope to have them with you by the end of play today. For now though I don't know.

I think maybe people who've been locked in and haven't been able to see each other/have a drink/have a coffee would want to make use of it. At the moment if the weather's crap we can't see each other, I was actually thinking about putting a gazebo in my garden so friends could come and hang out. Personally if it was drizzly and a mate suggested going to grab a pizza and a beer on Castle Street I'd probably go.

Well said, what an absolute minging idea, it defeats the whole objective of getting us all aboard the "integrated public transport", integrated my arris when all of us north of Cardiff can't get a direct bus to Cardiff Central Station, genius. Tourists and visitors arriving by train will have to trudge across the city to catch a bus north, is the new Bus Station just to serve south of Cardiff? you couldn't make it up, could you?

I was in Cardiff yesterday and as far as the bus service was concerned NO ONE new anything on which buses were using Greyfriars Road or not, one old lady had been waiting for a Newport bus from before 12 and at 2.20 was told the bus would not be there but would go from Custom House Street via Queen St Station, when she got there the bus drove straight past her, how she got home I haven't a clue. The guy from Cardiff Bus only had the info less than 5 minutes before that it wouldn't be going via Greyfriars.
    Transport system in Cardiff is nothing but scandalous.

International

All the shop owners on Castle St and in the arcades are complaining because it badly affects their business. They said that they hadn't been warned about it. The council said they had, the council sent letters to all the affected businesses on saturday afternoon.
    I drove my wife into town this morning to catch the No 9 bus, when I got to the Westgate the road to Westgate street was closed. When I indicated to go that way a girl came over and said, 'The road's closed you can only get to Westgate street I told her that's where I wanted to go and she groaned moved the barriers for me and then put them all back. When I was waiting at the same lights to come out again she had the same performance with 3 other vehicles. There is no reason for them to be there. The council said the road was closed from the Angel. My wife waited over 30 minutes before the driver of another bus told her the No 9 wouldn't be stopping there because it normally came from Westgate street and it couldn't get through. There were no signs telling anyone because apparently the council didn't bother to tell the bus company until Friday afternoon either.
    I posted on the up-date thread about their incompetence regarding the market not being allowed to re-open, more waste of money.
    I agree with blue Tit they are so anti-car they have tried every excuse they can think of to close the city off time and again.
    now people are being told to use their cars to save contamination on public transport and they are still do it

I posted the above in this thread yesterday. This morning they still have the road closed from the Westgate to Westgate street, despite the order saying closure from the Angel. I asked the marshal why and he said he had no idea. Are the restaurants and cafe's who are supposedly using this going to provide waiter service to the covered area? How far way will businesses be before they see this as an unusable "asset". It is totally pointless, covering the grassed areas outside the Castle would be more than enough. As had been said it is another attack on the car owner by and anti car council.

Write to your local MP!!!!

I‘all save the 20 pager (and growing) for tuerto it got quite personal so I didn’t want to share exactly what I got up too..... I should be more specific like your Disney guides Matt
    I was going to cycle in on my Orange p7, but I started to get paranoid about it getting nicked As no doubt every scally would be back in for the first day of festivities with shops open. I could go in to far more detail here as I have a very good lock (New York kryptonite) but they could just nick the bits off it. Big call, decided to drive, park in Cathays for free and wander in. Lovely. Coming next.....what shops did I visit.....kids need breakfast so hang on

my disney guides are legendary ( in my mind )

hope your boy had a good birthday