+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promotion. Yes or No.

Promotion. Yes or No.

We are still a long way from being serious contenders and I do agree with others who argue that we are not ready for it, that our squad isn’t good enough and we would most likely get a stuffing in the Premiership.

But, I would take it every time. We have seen too many teams that were deemed ready and good enough not even get there, let alone survive.

So, I,ll settle for the points never mind how we earn them and keep hoping.

Similarly, at this point if we were to now fall away, it would be hard to consider ourselves unlucky.

Re: Promotion. Yes or No.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    We are still a long way from being serious contenders and I do agree with others who argue that we are not ready for it, that our squad isn’t good enough and we would most likely get a stuffing in the Premiership.

But, I would take it every time. We have seen too many teams that were deemed ready and good enough not even get there, let alone survive.

Similarly, at this point if we were to now fall away, it would be hard to consider ourselves unlucky.
    You can’t pick and chose when you get promoted. You take it every single time.

Now we can’t attend the play-offs, I wouldn’t mind us having a good go at it

If it was normal circumstances, straight up or 7th for me.

I will never attend another play off final

We need an injection of pace in this team

I dont think we will. There's too many other teams who perform better than us more regularly to make the play offs and then get through 3 games.

What I would say to argue my own point is we are up there without performing well have been well below standard I expect and I do not mean the type of football we play because that if played well is as effective as passing the ball around.

You have to take it, however I would like us to use it more as a money making excercise. I think Warnock did the right thing bringing in hungry proven championship players it's just none really worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I dont think we will. There's too many other teams who perform better than us more regularly to make the play offs and then get through 3 games.

What I would say to argue my own point is we are up there without performing well have been well below standard I expect and I do not mean the type of football we play because that if played well is as effective as passing the ball around.

You have to take it, however I would like us to use it more as a money making excercise. I think Warnock did the right thing bringing in hungry proven championship players it's just none really worked out.
    Looked more like he picked them out of the newspaper as none of them actually fitted the way we play, we were very lucky that our best player just fell in to our lap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Me too. QPR was painful, my head was thumping all the way through until the Final Whistle. Blackpool was agony.

I think there are a few variables that make it wide open, one of which the absence of fans. We need to have a "tournament" mentality at this stage, and if it goes to the playoffs then I'd rate our chances. We'd be the team under the least amount of pressure. Would be brilliant if it is Leeds in the semi-final, we are in their heads.

Nope...this team isn't up to it by several hundred miles. Would be a complete waste of time and a humiliation

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Nope...this team isn't up to it by several hundred miles. Would be a complete waste of time and a humiliation
    Got to take promotion every time, it wouldn’t be ‘this’ team though, would it. There’d be the usual comings and goings but the major thing would be the financial gain in these dodgy times, not to be sniffed at.

I really think whoever goes up through the playoffs this season is on a hiding to nothing. I suppose it all depends on when next season starts, but there's going to be very little time to prepare and bring in quality new players. I imagine in the position that Leeds are in they already have their new players list pretty well sorted. But on today's showing if they went up with that side they'd take some right hidings. Can't see us going up but I'd never turn down the opportunity.

I’ve said this before and I think it was borne out to a degree today. Leeds and the Baggies were sat at home For weeks thinking the season was over and they would be promoted. Our guys were sat at home thinking they’d missed out on play-offs by 3 points. Now Leeds and WBA are having to play to win promotion and our squad have a chance to get a play off spot. Psychologically that’s massive. Today we took our chances. Keep doing that and mentally I think we are in a great position. It’s like a new season and we have come out firing!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Got to take promotion every time, it wouldn’t be ‘this’ team though, would it. There’d be the usual comings and goings but the major thing would be the financial gain in these dodgy times, not to be sniffed at.
    hmmm but we never upgrade in a good way...it's always dodgy signings that someone makes a buck and we end out the loser

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I really think whoever goes up through the playoffs this season is on a hiding to nothing. I suppose it all depends on when next season starts, but there's going to be very little time to prepare and bring in quality new players. I imagine in the position that Leeds are in they already have their new players list pretty well sorted. But on today's showing if they went up with that side they'd take some right hidings. Can't see us going up but I'd never turn down the opportunity.
    Crystal Palace went up as play off winners when we were Champions, they’re still there! Jacks also went from play offs and had 7 years in Premier League. You’ve got to take the chance and money when offered!

It's possible. But if I was a betting man, obviously not. We need a better manager. And we'd need to spend £100M to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Crystal Palace went up as play off winners when we were Champions, they’re still there! Jacks also went from play offs and had 7 years in Premier League. You’ve got to take the chance and money when offered!
    The JBs played their way out of division 3 and onwards. They were a good team with a good playing philosophy. And obviously had a great manager in Brendan Rogers when they got to the EPL. They had a decent run of about 4 years when they were a pretty good EPL side outplaying and beating many of the bigger clubs. Fair's fair. We're nowhere near that.

Last year I thought Sheff Utd weren’t ready and Villa were. The opposite has happened.

Get there and see what happens when you’re there.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's possible. But if I was a betting man, obviously not. We need a better manager. And we'd need to spend £100M to stay up.
    This didn’t work for Fulham !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Now we can’t attend the play-offs, I wouldn’t mind us having a good go at it

If it was normal circumstances, straight up or 7th for me.

This! Blackpool was the worst football day of my life.

Not for me.
    Team lacks a lot of quality and despite all the positive posts today, we could easily have lost 3-1 yesterday.
    We would need a major re build and I don’t think Harris can do that.
    I keep saying that if we want Premiership football (and want to stay there) we need to go through the painful process of changing our style (and players)

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Not for me.
    Team lacks a lot of quality and despite all the positive posts today, we could easily have lost 3-1 yesterday.
    I keep saying that if we want Premiership football (and want to stay there) we need to go through the painful process of changing our style (and players)
    How the f*cking hell could we have easily lost 3-1 yesterday? What a ridiculous ‘If my auntie had balls.....’ statement.

We can't afford to not go up. Worry about the PL when you're in it.

I don't think we will get promoted by the way but I think we will get top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You said that last time and we would probably have stayed up if Sala was still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How the f*cking hell could we have easily lost 3-1 yesterday? What a ridiculous ‘If my auntie had balls.....’ statement.
    Very easy statement.
    We were outplayed for about 70% of the match, as the stats prove.
    The point I am trying to make is that we can continue to play matches and have a 30/70 possession stats, and it is possible to get promotion (which we have done under Warnock) but we simply cannot survive in the premiership so the best we can hope for is to become a “yo-yo” club, which gets harder as other teams improve.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Not for me.
    Prior to the COVID Crisis I assumed that the club would have to make further cost savings for next season on the basis that season ticket sales and attendances would decline and that generally means a smaller squad, disposing of higher earners and less to spend on new players. COVID has now made the situation much much worse. I would take promotion with a small glimmer of survival, than build a team that could achieve it and potentially avoid being walloped.

Prior to the COVID Crisis I assumed that the club would have to make further cost savings for next season on the basis that season ticket sales and attendances would decline and that generally means a smaller squad, disposing of higher earners and less to spend on new players. COVID has now made the situation much much worse. I would take promotion with a small glimmer of survival, than build a team that could achieve it and potentially avoid being walloped.
    Yeah this is a good point. Next season could be a breaking point for many clubs.