+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I believe we beat Leeds again..

I believe we beat Leeds again..

Wouldn't have though as much though!

I was quite happy with the performance today, ok, we gave up possession like we usually do, although in my opinion i saw a few little glimpses of creativity today that saw us more assertive in attack, especially on the break, which Leeds (who for my money have a soft centre) struggled with at times.

Passing wasn't great and both goals came from defensive mistakes (although both were fantastic finishes) but i'd like to put it down to a little bit of good pressing from midfield and out wide. Hoilett looked more aggressive than ever before, maybe the break has done him good-didn't he play through last summer for Canada? Really pleased with the defence and smithies concentration levels. I don't think our defensive line missed a first ball or header into our box, although leeds delivery was one of the most inept i've ever seen down here.

I've tried to concentrate on the positives, the assertiveness of players like Ralls and Bacuna who both worked so hard today and deserved the result, Young Sanderson turned up, i like that in a player. I could say that our ability to keep the ball isn't great (although there are small signs of improvement in my opinion) and that we didn't create a chance in their Box or through the middle, that is a concern, but if, as it looks, Harris is going down the road of a slightly more sophisticated Warnock style of play that gives up possession and forces mistakes through hard work, then i was quite encouraged by todays performance-if that's the line we're going down. As odd as this may sound, after we scored there was only going to be one winner. Leeds were guilty of over elaborating which played into our hands as we're organised. They were also soft and without ideas in the final third. Great result.

Re: I believe we beat Leeds again..

I think that is a fair summary and it looks to me like Harris is going down the hard work route top to bottom, much the same as before the "mid season break".

Our fitness levels look good which may well give us an advantage over others in the run-in.
    TBH I didnt much fancy our chances today but we caught Leeds cold and luckily for us, Bamford was piss poor.

Defensively we looked solid, though our clearances at times weren't great.
    Smithies I thought was outstanding in what he had to do and looks much calmer than Etheridge when the ball is at his feet.

Hoilett again showed that he has still got it. Calm on the ball and an engine to boot.
    I've heard it said that Murphy should start but, even though I am sure he will probably still play some part, for me he doesn't offer what NH wants to see.

Paterson looks to have gained a few pounds but ran his stones off fair play to him and even though I think Glatzel is the better player, Harris got the tactics spot on today.

Preston a bit of a bogey team but perhaps the having no crowd will suit us.
    Here's hoping.

another hard working team is fine with me

still could do with a CF though

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think that is a fair summary and it looks to me like Harris is going down the hard work route top to bottom, much the same as before the "mid season break".

Our fitness levels look good which may well give us an advantage over others in the run-in.
    TBH I didnt much fancy our chances today but we caught Leeds cold and luckily for us, Bamford was piss poor.

Defensively we looked solid, though our clearances at times weren't great.
    Smithies I thought was outstanding in what he had to do and looks much calmer than Etheridge when the ball is at his feet.

Hoilett again showed that he has still got it. Calm on the ball and an engine to boot.
    I've heard it said that Murphy should start but, even though I am sure he will probably still play some part, for me he doesn't offer what NH wants to see.

Paterson looks to have gained a few pounds but ran his stones off fair play to him and even though I think Glatzel is the better player, Harris got the tactics spot on today.

Preston a bit of a bogey team but perhaps the having no crowd will suit us.
    Here's hoping.
    Good summary that. Hoilett is more composed thn Murphy in my opinion and he doesn't run out of ideas as quick, which is always a problem with wide players, especially those who rely on pace. Hoilett has more of a football brain.

Smithies looked really good, confident and assured. I don't know what it is about him, but his demeanour makes me feel more confident than i did with Etheridge. I think he's in because of his kicking from open play as much as anything else. Harris seems to like the players to use the keeper as an out when they're in the shit, a sort of default. Etheridge really put us in the shit with some of his clearances, often not getting the ball past the opposition midfield.

Cheers lads. Missed it today, so interesting to see what everyone else thought 👍

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    another hard working team is fine with me

still could do with a CF though
    I know what you mean, but the way we play i don't think any striker would score many goals. I wouldn't be surprised to see an athletic, strong, aggressive type of striker come in at some point under Harris, maybe from the lower leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Cheers lads. Missed it today, so interesting to see what everyone else thought ��
    Did alright Tim, there were a fair few positives in my opinion. Leeds didn't look happy and ran out of ideas quite quickly in my opinion.

I expected a lot more from Leeds, a lot of talk about them being this incredible side who are head and shoulders above the rest, but I don't think they're as good as the top 3 the season we went up

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I expected a lot more from Leeds, a lot of talk about them being this incredible side who are head and shoulders above the rest, but I don't think they're as good as the top 3 the season we went up
    They created **** all in the final third, didn't try and play through us, just lobbed desperate balls into the box, the way we line up, thankyou very much Bielsa.

They're on target for 86 points. At this point in 17/18 we had 8 more points than them yet commentators seem to want to anoint them one of the best Champ sides ever. Warnock was right when he said in a normal season them and WBA would be 3rd and 4th.