+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sky commentary today

Sky commentary today

The commentators were watching a different game to me.
    As far as I'm concerned the best team won and yet they seemed very impressed with anything Leeds did whilst rubbishing Cardiff throughout.

In the 92nd minute they were wondering what Leeds could do to "turn it round"

Re: Sky commentary today

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    The commentators were watching a different game to me.
    As far as I'm concerned the best team won and yet they seemed very impressed with anything Leeds did whilst rubbishing Cardiff throughout.

In the 92nd minute they were wondering what Leeds could do to "turn it round"
    I never have the commentary on, TV is on mute, i'm not interested in what they've got to say. I agree, best team won the game. We bullied them a little bit as well, which is always nice.

Don't often agree with Ronnie, but I do here - City were almost like incidental extras yesterday to two of the commentary team. Leeds born Don Goodman is , understandably I suppose, always very pro Leeds (he suggested they had been the better team in every game they had lost this season in the closing stages yesterday) and, while I accept it just might be me being paranoid, he always strikes me as grudging in any praise he gives Cardiff City. The commentator Gary Weaver always spends an awful lot of time talking about Leeds (perhaps because there are probably more Leeds fans than any other clubs watching Sky's Football League coverage) when they're on and did so to our exclusion yesterday.

To be fair, there was some balance struck by Mick McCarthy who at least sometimes looked at things from a Cardiff perspective and was generous in his praise of us.

All the hype during the week was about Leeds and what they're doing at Elland Road for the restart - not once mentioning that they were playing the first game away in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Don't often agree with Ronnie, but I do here - City were almost like incidental extras yesterday to two of the commentary team. Leeds born Don Goodman is , understandably I suppose, always very pro Leeds (he suggested they had been the better team in every game they had lost this season in the closing stages yesterday) and, while I accept it just might be me being paranoid, he always strikes me as grudging in any praise he gives Cardiff City. The commentator Gary Weaver always spends an awful lot of time talking about Leeds (perhaps because there are probably more Leeds fans than any other clubs watching Sky's Football League coverage) when they're on and did so to our exclusion yesterday.

To be fair, there was some balance struck by Mick McCarthy who at least sometimes looked at things from a Cardiff perspective and was generous in his praise of us.

It's funny that. On the Leeds waccoe forum match thread all they do is slag off Goodman from the start (he's anti Leeds according to them) and praise McCarthy (big Leeds fan) throughout.

I agreed that Sky coverage of the match was biased towards Leeds - especially during the 30 minute build-up to the match. I suggest about 70% of this was noticeably about Leeds.
    My impression is that during the match this continued until City scored and then a message went out 'Big-up Cardiff now', and gradually the pendulum swung.
    Sky seemed more interested in Leeds getting into the auto-promotion places than in Cardiff busting into the top six.
    I watched the coverage thinking, 'Don't these guys know the history of the last several years and City 95% of the time have got a result against Leeds?' Like Tuerto, after City scored there was absolutely no doubt for me that they would win.

Leeds are up at the top of the league, they are basically champions elect, and they should have gone up last season. they also have the most fans in the division and a big name manager who is one of the characters in the game.
    if they miss out on promotion again it is a big story. if we make 6th, nobody cares,there are 7 other average clubs also in the running for 6th and we are all largely interchangeable from anyone elses point of view.

it isn't surprising that the commentary was framed as Leeds losing rather than us winning, thats just the way of things. we probably had the same treatment years ago when we were a big club messing up promotion from the lower leagues.

for the moment I'm quite happy to continue flying under the radar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Leeds are up at the top of the league, they are basically champions elect
    You might want to tell WBA, who are above them

It's all a bit gross the praise and attention some clubs get. Fulham are another set of media darlings.

Comes to something when I thought the artificial crowd noise was more in tune with the match than the commentators. They passed it around ok but had no cutting edge, they weren't unlucky, they simply didn't do enough. Quite simple really.

And if I have to see Bielsa's face or hear about how ****ing magnificent he is again I'm going to throw up.

McCarthy was quite fair, but he has been before when talking about us as a manager.

The better side won, pure and simple.

I've just seen Stephen Warnock on Sky about the sides after that sixth spot.

Guess which was the only team in the positions 6 - 10 he didn't mention.

As TOBW said, don't often agree but definitely. JFH was very pro Cardiff which was nice to see. If you don't play well in either box, you won't win many games and we won both battles yesterday. I've watched the game back and it is striking how much fitter and quicker to second balls we were.

I though JFH was quite complimentary.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I though JFH was quite complimentary.

StT.
    <><
    Yes he was and I mentioned this in the match day thread yesterday.
    He spoke well and he seemed balanced too.

I'd also like to add that the commentary in general is biased one way or another. This is true especially when Sky have spent a lot of time and effort putting together snippets of a club, past glories, manager tributes etc.. to be shown in their interludes.

It is no secret that most purists want the game played "the right way" and putting stats pages up are usually geared towards the story.
    The commentary tends to match the narrative and I was not surprised to hear this yesterday (Rjk has got it right in his summary above and all we did yesterday was spoil Sky's party).

If my memory serves me correct, most of the times we were on TV in our promotion season two years ago we were rarely on the receiving end of any compliments which have to be put down to our style of play and it was through gritted teeth we received anything remotely complimentary right at the end when it became clear that Fulham couldn't catch us.

I am sure this will continue as long as our "archaic" style of play does so we just have to suck it up and continue to support what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'd also like to add that the commentary in general is biased one way or another. This is true especially when Sky have spent a lot of time and effort putting together snippets of a club, past glories, manager tributes etc.. to be shown in their interludes.

It is no secret that most purists want the game played "the right way" and putting stats pages up are usually geared towards the story.
    The commentary tends to match the narrative and I was not surprised to hear this yesterday (Rjk has got it right in his summary above and all we did yesterday was spoil Sky's party).

If my memory serves me correct, most of the times we were on TV in our promotion season two years ago we were rarely on the receiving end of any compliments which have to be put down to our style of play and it was through gritted teeth we received anything remotely complimentary right at the end when it became clear that Fulham couldn't catch us.

I am sure this will continue as long as our "archaic" style of play does so we just have to suck it up and continue to support what we have.
    I'll never forget hearing Don Goodman say how Fulham and Wolves deserved promotion.

Goodman always seems to be anti-Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Goodman always seems to be anti-Cardiff.
    Let's face it we are not pretty to watch and haven't been since the Dave Jones era. However, we have been effective but it's very difficult to complement our style of play.

International

I know Gary Weaver he drinks in my local and off air he loves City. It was maybe because of the expectation of Leeds getting back in the big time after 16 years, all the commentators seem ti think it's a done deal.