+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Preston "bogey" - truth or myth?

The Preston "bogey" - truth or myth?

City's record in their last sixteen games with Preston;-

W 7 D 4 L 5

Before we beat them 4-1 at Ninian Park in 2007, talk of a Preston bogey would have been justified because they had won eight of the previous twelve games with the other four being drawn.

However, although Preston have had the better of things in the ninety three meetings between the two clubs, it is only by thirty six wins to thirty four.

There is no Preston bogey, but, more than any other ground I know of, City have a habit of getting absolutely murdered at Deepdale every few years - 3-0 losses in our last two visits are proof of that and there have been a lot of heavier defeats there down the years, but it's also a ground where we have won twelve times. If anything, we are due a result there after those 3-0 losses, but it be that we'll lose again - it won't be because of any Preston bogey though.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/cardiff-...20North%20End/

Re: The Preston "bogey" - truth or myth?

I was at the 1996 five nil hammering. Came out the ground to find a parking ticket on car. Not a good day out...

The answer is simple:
    Tell the team that they’re playing against Leeds (well they both wear white kit) and we should be fine.

My memory isn't as good as it used to be but...

When we were really crap in the early 70s, I believe PNE were the ONLY side we beat away

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My memory isn't as good as it used to be but...

When we were really crap in the early 70s, I believe PNE were the ONLY side we beat away
    Yes, Preston were the last team we beat away in 1971 (that was our third successive win at Deepdale) before we waited for more than two years before we managed it again in the league at Orient.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, Preston were the last team we beat away in 1971 (that was our third successive win at Deepdale) before we waited for more than two years before we managed it again in the league at Orient.
    We always seem to do well against PNE at home, but not so well away. Conceded 9 there in '66. Also conceded 7 there twice, 6 there twice, 5 there once and 4 three times. We may not lose as many as we think there, but when we do it's brutal.

I'm going with myth.

This is the third time we've been on a run of 3 successive visits there without scoring. We've never gone 4 visits to Deepdale without scoring. On the previous two occasions we've won and drawn after such a run.

The most common result at Preston is a 3-0 defeat (7 times), followed by a 2-1 win (5 times).

Incredibly we've never lost 1-0 there. In 16 games there when we've lost without scoring, 15 of those have been by margins of 3 goals or more! However, we've lost 2-1 4 times, 3-1 twice and 7-1. In 23 defeats, only 7 have been by 2 goals or less.

We have managed 12 wins at Preston; 10 by a single goal, a 3-1 and a 6-2 win.

In total we've conceded 115 goals at Preston at an average of 2.5 a game. While we've conceded more goals there than anywhere else, we've conceded more goals on average at Luton (2.57 a game).

If we win next Saturday, Preston will join Nottingham Forest as the side at which we've won most away games (excluding Welsh cup etc), with 13 wins. It will be our 47th visit, making it our most visited away ground ahead of Bristol City (who we'll visit for the 46th time in a few weeks).

Preston is hardly a bogey ground in terms of results. Both our win percentage there and average points per game record are mid table in terms of all of our league opponents. For real away bogey teams, look at Man City, Maidstone, Peterborough and West Ham.

It is perhaps worth noting that most of our success at Preston is historical, though. We won 9 of our first 23 trips to Preston but only 3 of our last 23 trips.

It must be some strange coincidence that we are currently 7th and missing out on a Play off place to Preston by one goal. So maybe we can go there and win 6-0 to avenge the 2009 defeat. Somehow I think not.

also I Seem to remember we lost 9-0 there in the mid 1960s, 1966 I think, and 7-1 a few years earlier. I may be wrong. But it's not really been a happy hunting grouundd for us, and as stated above they have scored a huge amount against us.

International

I think just mentioning it has put the jinx on us. Thanks for that!

If I have to come back and remind you about this thread on Saturday evening...................

We will slaughter them