+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Over The Etihad

Re: Aeroplane Over The Etihad

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No. Absolutely not. Gammon is not a race.

As regards the insult being used to describe skin colour, I think I'm right in saying (although I haven't paid that much attention, so could be wrong) that those regarded as 'gammons' are not being so-described because of the natural colour of their skin, but rather the colour they turn while they are ranting and raving about their right-wing ideologies.
    Gammon isn't a race, no. It is aimed at white men on the right. Many names aimed at black people are not races either.

If people made up a name for a black section of the BLM movement that was based solely on the colour of their skin would that not be racist regardless of how small the group was or the reason for the name?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Gammon isn't a race, no. It is aimed at white men on the right. Many names aimed at black people are not races either.
    No, but they have their origin in race. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the vast majority of people who refer to the over-excited, red-faced, right-wing 'gammons' of the same race?

So, you can label people because of the colour of their skin as long as it is only some white people?

Isn't that what the examples you've given above do?
    No , clearly not

If people made up a name for a black section of the BLM movement that was based solely on the colour of their skin would that not be racist regardless of how small the group was or the reason for the name?
    I have yet to hear one

Some posters on here think that the BLM group is made up of white middle class people

No idea what you would name them

No. Absolutely not. Gammon is not a race.

As regards the insult being used to describe skin colour, I think I'm right in saying (although I haven't paid that much attention, so could be wrong) that those regarded as 'gammons' are not being so-described because of the natural colour of their skin, but rather the colour they turn while they are ranting and raving about their right-wing ideologies.
    And 8 pints of stella and a couple of 10 bags.

From what I can gather, "gammon" is a description devised by white people to be used against white (or whiteish) people, seems to me that most of the derogatory terms we are aware of for BAME people are the invention of white people, therefore, it's hardly comparing like for like, but the gammon angle does show how desperate some are to find a reason to argue against black lives matter.

No, but they have their origin in race. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the vast majority of people who refer to the over-excited, red-faced, right-wing 'gammons' of the same race?
    What difference does that make? Black people call other black people what are deemed racist names also.

Could and would a black man be called a gammon?
    If it is aimed at solely white men because of the colour of their skin then dress it up how you like, regardless of how the name calling has been arrived at (whether they are right wing, what they spout etc etc) the label is purely down to the colour of their skin.

I'm glad they flew the banner.
    Why should we all be forced to accept that Black lives matter is acceptable as a slogan. It's racist in itself.
    Freedom of speech is important.
    No one should be bullied or afraid to express an opinion.
    If you can state black lives matter you can state white lives matter.
    My family is mixed race by the way.

Bloody snowflakes everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    From what I can gather, "gammon" is a description devised by white people to be used against white (or whiteish) people, seems to me that most of the derogatory terms we are aware of for black people are the invention of white people, therefore, it's hardly comparing like for like, but the gammon angle does show how desperate some are to find a reason to argue against black lives matter.
    Nobody is using it to argue against Black Lives Matter. Well I'm certainly not. Its roots have nothing to do with Black Lives Matter. The two seem to have crossed recently.

If, for example, the right wing gave a name to a group of black men in the BLM movement based solely on the colour of their skin because of the colour they went when spouting anti white filth then would that be ok? Would it be ok if black people started the name and then white people used it after that?

What difference does that make?
    What difference does that make? With all due respect, I'm not sure you understand the term 'racist'. The adjective is described in my dictionary thus: Showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another.

You asked is the term 'gammon' racist? I have provided an answer based on my understanding of both terms.

If, for example, the right wing gave a name to a group of black men in the BLM movement based solely on the colour of their skin because of the colour they went when spouting anti white filth then would that be ok? Would it be ok if black people started the name and then white people used it after that?
    Let's wait and see what the reaction is if and when that happens, shall we? Then maybe we can provide an answer because as hypothetical situations go, that one is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Why should we all be forced to accept that Black lives matter is acceptable as a slogan. It's racist in itself.

You can be mixed race and still be a racist

With freedom of speech comes responsibility

When there was a black lives matter protest in Hertfordshire the other day a white bloke ran up to some of the protestors and told them to **** off back to africa

Is that your idea of free speech ?

That figures. After all, you have demonstrated time and time again that you're an idiot.

What difference does that make? With all due respect, I'm not sure you understand the term 'racist'. The adjective is described in my dictionary thus: Showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another.

You asked is the term 'gammon' racist? I have provided an answer based on my understanding of both terms.
    You've quote a part of my post there.

I also stated that people of the same race have used it to describe one another on other examples while people of other races have used it as a racist term.

If the term was used solely by white people against white people then I take your point. It isn't.

Let's wait and see what the reaction is if and when that happens, shall we? Then maybe we can provide an answer because as hypothetical situations go, that one is ludicrous.
    As ludicrous as gammon being fine because it is aimed at white men who are right wing and spout right wing filth.

You say it is ludicrous but it is not far from why people on here are saying gammon as a name is fine. It is given to white, right wing people because of the colour their faces go.

See your own definition of racist above. It is exactly that.

I also stated that people of the same race have used it to describe one another on other examples while people of other races have used it as a racist term.

If the term was used solely by white people against white people then I take your point. It isn't.
    I quoted the bit that was relevant as far as I'm concerned. The term was devised by white people to describe other white people. It was not a term devised with the intention of showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or with the belief that a particular race is somehow superior to another. Therefore, it is not a racist term. Simple as that.

Hope that helps.

Nobody is using it to argue against Black Lives Matter. Well I'm certainly not. Its roots have nothing to do with Black Lives Matter. The two seem to have crossed recently.

In the states the term cracker is used to describe white poorly educated people who in the days of slavery would do the slave masters work for them by cracking the whip against black people

It's extremely offensive of course as it wasnt just the african americans who overthrew slavery and eventually got voting rights , millions of white people living in the south were there fighting with them and marching with them . I remember watching a particularly venomous black woman telling a white bloke to stay away from her on a protest march as he was a " Cracker " .....it was clearly an example of black racism .

Later that day a white supremacist drove a car into a white woman supporting the protest about the police treatment of black people

So offensive terms about white people do occur , in america they are based on a historical slavery theme , in the uk it seems to be more political

It generally is to be fair , almost exclusively a guardian readers piss take out of right wing pissed up ignorant bigots

As ludicrous as gammon being fine because it is aimed at white men who are right wing and spout right wing filth.

You say it is ludicrous but it is not far from why people on here are saying gammon as a name is fine. It is given to white, right wing people because of the colour their faces go.

See your own definition of racist above. It is exactly that.
    It's nothing of the sort. However, if that's the way you understand it, then so be it. I'm obviously not going to change your mind despite having common sense and a dictionary on my side.

I'm going to take a bit of a leap here, but are you a perchance a white person aged between 40 and 70?

You've lost me with that second paragraph and if you're not arguing against BLM, what are you doing?

Dear God!!!!!

It's nothing of the sort. However, if that's the way you understand it, then so be it. I'm obviously not going to change your mind despite having common sense and a dictionary on my side.

I'm going to take a bit of a leap here, but are you a perchance a white person aged between 40 and 70?
    You're wrong. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything though.

It is a derogatory term based on skin colour and you have not for one second taken into account the fact that names can evolve and be used for different aims regardless of their origin.

You will not change my mind though regardless of how much you rate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Dear God!!!!!
    Does he post here?
    What's his handle?

You're wrong. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything though.

It is a derogatory term based on skin colour and you have not for one second taken into account the fact that names can evolve and be used for different aims regardless of their origin.

You will not change my mind though regardless of how much you rate yourself.
    I'm wrong. Sure I am.....

"It is a derogatory terms based on skin colour," you say. I'd argue it's a derogatory term based on politics rather than skin colour, but let's assume you're right. Does that automatically equate to it being a racist term?

Let me ask you a question: if I said you were a freckly git, would that be a racist term?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You've lost me with that second paragraph and if you're not arguing against BLM, what are you doing?
    I'm asking if the term gammon is racist. It certainly appears to be so.

Why is that specifically to do with BLM? I use BLM in the example purely because you brought them up. That's all. I've got no axe to grind with BLM.