+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Over The Etihad

Re: Aeroplane Over The Etihad

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I'm asking if the term gammon is racist. It certainly appears to be so.
    To you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm wrong. Sure I am.....

"It is a derogatory terms based on skin colour," you say. I'd argue it's a derogatory term based on politics rather than skin colour, but let's assume you're right. Does that automatically equate to it being a racist term?

Let me ask you a question: if I said you were a freckly git, would that be a racist term?
    Or ginger that would be a racist slur surely.

I'm wrong. Sure I am.....

"It is a derogatory terms based on skin colour," you say. I'd argue it's a derogatory term based on politics rather than skin colour, but let's assume you're right. Does that automatically equate to it being a racist term?

Let me ask you a question: if I said you were a freckly git, would that be a racist term?
    You're wrong about the guess at my age. Yes, you were wrong. You can be sometimes you know.

Can most people have freckles? Yes, so it wouldn't make light of what colour their skin was would it. If you were black and called me a white freckly git then ask yourself if that would be racist?

So, if a black man used the name gammon based purely on somebody's skin colour and thinking he was above them because of their backward political views would that not tick all the boxes of it being a racist name?

At the moment you have said that it isn't racist because it is a name that was made up by white people, which is debatable, but regardless of that are you saying it can't evolve and be used in a racist way by one race against another? If a black man had made the original terms about black people and white people adopted them would that make them any less racist?

To you.
    To quite a few others too.

It has been debated quite a few times in various places. As much as you think you are the judge and jury on here you are not the final word on these things.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Does he post here?
    What's his handle?
    You obviously miss the point of BLM completely

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Or ginger that would be a racist slur surely.
    Missed the part where hair colour is a label based on a person's skin colour.

You're wrong about the guess at my age. Yes, you were wrong. You can be sometimes you know.

Can most people have freckles? Yes, so it wouldn't make light of what colour their skin was would it. If you were black and called me a white freckly git then ask yourself if that would be racist?

So, if a black man used the name gammon based purely on somebody's skin colour and thinking he was above them because of their backward political views would that not tick all the boxes of it being a racist name?

At the moment you have said that it isn't racist because it is a name that was made up by white people, which is debatable, but regardless of that are you saying it can't evolve and be used in a racist way by one race against another? If a black man had made the original terms about black people and white people adopted them would that make them any less racist?
    Forgive me. You're obviously 39 or 71.

I'm going to have to leave you to it because I have a film to watch this evening and this discussion has degenerated into farce.

Google the definition of the term 'racist' and you should be able to answer your questions for yourself.

If you still genuinely believe the term 'gammon' is racist, then fair enough. You're wrong, but far be it from me to deny you the pleasure of exposing all those white, liberal lefties for what they really are as they racially abuse the noble white right-wingers. In these troubled times we need all the fun we can get.

Forgive me. You're obviously 39 or 71.

I'm going to have to leave you to it because I have a film to watch this evening and this discussion has degenerated into farce.

Google the definition of the term 'racist' and you should be able to answer your questions for yourself.

If you still genuinely believe the term 'gammon' is racist, then fair enough. You're wrong, but far be it from me to deny you the pleasure of exposing all those white, liberal lefties for what they really are as they racially abuse the noble white right-wingers. In these troubled times we need all the fun we can get.

So no answer to any of the specifics in my post and referring me to Google?

By your reckoning if a Golliwog was the brain child of a black person then it would be fine as would the name and label attached to it.

We'll agree to disagree.
    Nice one. Have a good evening.

Gammon isn't a race, no. It is aimed at white men on the right. Many names aimed at black people are not races either.

If people made up a name for a black section of the BLM movement that was based solely on the colour of their skin would that not be racist regardless of how small the group was or the reason for the name?
    If it is used as a racist slur then it's wrong and counter productive. I've never heard the phrase 'Gammon' so i've not got a clue what it stands for. Something to bear in mind though. Racist slurs towards black people have real connotations, history and consequences. I'm sure that we can agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If it is used as a racist slur then it's wrong and counter productive. I've never heard the phrase 'Gammon' so i've not got a clue what it stands for. Something to bear in mind though. Racist slurs towards black people have real connotations, history and consequences. I'm sure that we can agree on that.
    Definitely.

A lot of racist terms over the years have been excused as 'just a name', 'no harm intended' etc. It doesn't mean they are not racist. People would have been arguing if they were racist or not much in the same way we are now. Times change as do perceptions with the times.

I'm just debating it. People trying to pigeon hole me into an age/political/race bracket because of questioning something is laughable though. Not you by the way.

Definitely.

I'm just debating it. People trying to pigeon hole me into an age/political/race bracket because of questioning something is laughable though. Not you by the way.
    I've not heard the phrase 'Gammon' if it is a racial slur, then no, not for me, although i don't know if it is or not!

I'm asking if the term gammon is racist. It certainly appears to be so.

Why is that specifically to do with BLM? I use BLM in the example purely because you brought them up. That's all. I've got no axe to grind with BLM.
    Were people who get called gammon born that colour? No they weren't, they are Caucasians who turn that colour under certain conditions. I've just seen a Brighton player being taken off whose face was definitely gammon coloured because he'd been expending a lot of energy for an hour on a warm night. People can turn gammon coloured when they get embarrassed, there are those who become redder as they get older and there are those who redden when they get worked up about something.

No one calls someone gammon for the first two reasons I outlined, it's always directed at those who go red for one or both of the last two reasons and even then it's not aimed at everyone in those categories, only those who display certain characteristics, so it's not directed at all white people who turn red, only some - that doesn't sound like a dictionary definition of racism to me.

This thread was started because of an incident that arose as a result of the recent attention paid to the BLM movement. Did you join this thread to express solidarity with that movement? It certainly doesn't appear that way to me based on everything you've said so far - quite the opposite in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've not heard the phrase 'Gammon' if it is a racial slur, then no, not for me, although i don't know if it is or not!
    The reason I brought it up here after I saw it at the start of the thread was that I've seen it used by a few different people in varying arguments, mainly around BLM protests and counter protests at the current time admittedly. While some of the usage is from white people aimed at other white people I have seen it used by black people also and it just got me thinking would it constitute a racist name or labelling.

For me it does. Not for others.
    It's all about opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Were people who get called gammon born that colour? No they weren't, they are Caucasians who turn that colour under certain conditions. I've just seen a Brighton player being taken off whose face was definitely gammon coloured because he'd been expending a lot of energy for an hour on a warm night. People can turn gammon coloured when they get embarrassed, there are those who become redder as they get older and there are those who redden when they get worked up about something.

No one calls someone gammon for the first two reasons I outlined, it's always directed at those who go red for one or both of the last two reasons and even then it's not aimed at everyone in those categories, only those who display certain characteristics, so it's not directed at all white people who turn red, only some - that doesn't sound like a dictionary definition of racism to me.

This thread was started because of an incident that arose as a result of the recent attention paid to the BLM movement. Did you join this thread to express solidarity with it? It certainly doesn't appear that way to me based on everything you've said so far - quite the opposite in fact.
    I joined it to question the gammon name that was in the second post in the thread.

If you didn't like me mentioning it or thought it took the thread off track then replying to me doesn't help. I actually gave my opinion on the subject matter in the first sentence of my first post.

You say it is the red face that people are drawing attention to. Do you think a black man would be described as a gammon? If you do then we will have to disagree.
    If it is specifically aimed at white people purely because of the colour of their skin, regardless of political leanings, then again we'll have to disagree.

Isn't a 'Gammon' a middle aged white English Conservative, GSTQ, Brexit supporter who gets flushed in the face (chops) when challenged on a political point ?

So is gammon a political thing? A light-skinned thing? Either way, I'm pretty sure gammons get a fair swing at life, they can live, walk, run, birdwatch etc etc anywhere at any time without interference. So, you know, not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So is gammon a political thing? A light-skinned thing? Either way, I'm pretty sure gammons get a fair swing at life, they can live, walk, run, birdwatch etc etc anywhere at any time without interference. So, you know, not the same thing.
    So are you saying a black man or minority that has been mistreated cannot be racist? Or because a white man gets privileges they cannot be the target of racism?

I just posed the question. It has been debated before this regardless of people dismissing it out of hand. Some feel it is a racist term, some feel it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Birdwatch, I seen what you did there, I thought that bloke in the bushes broke a 'moral' code.

I joined it to question the gammon name that was in the second post in the thread.

If you didn't like me mentioning it or thought it took the thread off track then replying to me doesn't help. I actually gave my opinion on the subject matter in the first sentence of my first post.

You say it is the red face that people are drawing attention to. Do you think a black man would be described as a gammon? If you do then we will have to disagree.
    If it is specifically aimed at white people purely because of the colour of their skin, regardless of political leanings, then again we'll have to disagree.
    It's all about political leaning, if you are a white middle aged male that supports the English nationalist party aka the Conservative and Unionist party and are strongly anti EU, foreigners etc and believe in the Empire, that type of person might well be called a 'Gammon'.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Massive over reaction from you two as usual.
    The flying of the banner was moronic, as are the comments on the site posted on here, but its a small minority attracted to that site like moths to a flame.
    The majority of folk in the UK realise how daft that banner was.
    That banner was needed. What's wrong with it? You think white lives don't matter? All lives matter, not just black lives. I'm disgusted with foot ball bowing to BLM, a political party. Footballers forced to 'knee' before a game. Don't tell me their not forced, if a player refused to do it, it would be the end of his career. BLM is racist against every other colour!!

Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post
    That banner was needed. What's wrong with it? You think white lives don't matter? All lives matter, not just black lives. I'm disgusted with foot ball bowing to BLM, a political party. Footballers forced to 'knee' before a game. Don't tell me their not forced, if a player refused to do it, it would be the end of his career. BLM is racist against every other colour!!
    If you honestly believe that you do not understand what BLM is about.

if nothing else, this thread is confirming which ***** I'm gonna block

It is beyond question that black people in a predominantly white western world suffer racism. This has gone on for centuries. Black people have usually had to play second best.Yet again another black person suffered at the hands of a racist policeman, losing his life. Black lives matter is simply that we should all unite and say we've had enough of racism towards black people. It is to show solidarity.

I support BLM as I'm fed up to the back teeth of racism by my own white people towards black and ethnic minorites, regardless of how casual and innocuous it is. I support their right to be equal to white people and to live without fear.

I do not say that black lives are more important, or suggest others are less important. I don't tolerate racism from any sources.

What I don't accept is this tag line of white lives matter or all lives matter IN RESPONSE to black lives matter. Almost everyone who comes out with all lives matter or the new white lives matter will not support black lives matter. These are missing the point. BLM is asking everyone to support the end of racism towards black people yet so many won't support this particular aim. Instead they twist the argument to say they want all lives to matter, unable to side with those wanting an end of racism towards black people.

One day, perhaps after years of suffering racism, white people will feel a need to want to stop being the victim of racism and then, by all means, have a campaign. But to use white or all lives matter as a response to a request for everyone to agree that black lives matter is crass, ill-judged and shows how divided the country still is over race. A friend of mine said to me that this BLM/all lives thing shouldn't be about race, but he's wrong. It's about striving for an end to racial hatred towards people due to the colour of their skin. Either you support that and be proud to say Black Lives Matter or you don't.

First Team

What difference does that make? Black people call other black people what are deemed racist names also.

Could and would a black man be called a gammon?
    If it is aimed at solely white men because of the colour of their skin then dress it up how you like, regardless of how the name calling has been arrived at (whether they are right wing, what they spout etc etc) the label is purely down to the colour of their skin.
    Simple question to you that requires a simple yes/no answer. Do you accept that black people have suffered slavery, prejudice and injustice for over 400 years and that they are still suffering from it to this day?

First Team

You are the problem.