+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Connolly leaving club on 30 June.

Matt Connolly leaving club on 30 June.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...itely-18477263

It's a shame that his time here has ended in the way it has because it puts a bit of a dampener on what was a very good City career - we certainly got our monies worth out of him.

Best of luck to Matt in his search to find a new club - and to Omar Bogle and Jazz Richards.

Re: Matt Connolly leaving club on 30 June.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

It's a shame that his time here has ended in the way it has because it puts a bit of a dampener on what was a very good City career - we certainly got our monies worth out of him.

Best of luck to Matt in his search to find a new club - and to Omar Bogle and Jazz Richards.
    Good luck to all three of them.

Good luck to all three. Connolly was a brilliant player for us, as were so many of Malky's Championship signings

Great news about Connolly and Richards

Perhaps he will go to Boro?

Seem to recall Warnock singling him out for praise and saying what a great influence he was in the dressing room.

Good solid player - all the best to him

Always liked Connolly. Could play in the centre as well as full back and was one of the few full backs we've had in recent years who looked comfortable going forward..

Thought he was a decent centre back , not convinced to his full back skills , I do wonder if his continued employment was due to his contract value , and not going able to match it elsewhere .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thought he was a decent centre back , not convinced to his full back skills , I do wonder if his continued employment was due to his contract value , and not going able to match it elsewhere .
    I'd say he was probably our best ball playing central defender. If Harris wants to go a more football style, then Connolly would have been a good shout... years ago.

Injuries, lack of play, age, salary demands all mean he had to go.

Only a few years ago he was our Player of the Year. Such a shame about his injury issues as he was a good servant to City and a decent centre-back , when he was allowed to play there. His one season of about 41 League games in the centre was the year he won the award I think. Eight years service for us can't be ignored. But his wage will free up space for some younger signings.

No question he had to go.
    V good player 3/4 years ago but so many injuries, I think he was lucky to have had the last contract.
    Wish him well. Seem to recall he owns some tattoo parlours back home up the smoke. Will have more time to spend with them now....when they reopen.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    Perhaps he will go to Boro?

Seem to recall Warnock singling him out for praise and saying what a great influence he was in the dressing room.

Good solid player - all the best to him
    Do the rules allow them to sign him?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Not before the end of the current season.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    perhaps if he was out of contract, a terminated one making him a free agent ???

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    perhaps if he was out of contract, a terminated one making him a free agent ???
    AFAIK free agents can't be signed after Jan transfer window, a change made not that long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I'd say he was probably our best ball playing central defender. If Harris wants to go a more football style, then Connolly would have been a good shout... years ago.

Injuries, lack of play, age, salary demands all mean he had to go.
    Given his age, lack of playing time and injury record how do you think he can demand a high salary? Are you his agent?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Yes. Thanks Matt and Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Given his age, lack of playing time and injury record how do you think he can demand a high salary? Are you his agent?
    Who said "high salary"?

I doubt he'd be looking for a great deal less than he was on - his situation not changed dramatically sine last contract extension. His salary demands, I've little doubt, would be too much for us to consider since it's pretty clear from Dalman's comments we're looking to reduce the wage bill big time.

Who said "high salary"?

I doubt he'd be looking for a great deal less than he was on - his situation not changed dramatically sine last contract extension. His salary demands, I've little doubt, would be too much for us to consider since it's pretty clear from Dalman's comments we're looking to reduce the wage bill big time.
    You cited his salary demands as a reason he had to go, that implies they are too high.

You cited his salary demands as a reason he had to go, that implies they are too high.
    Salary demands don't equate to high salary per ce.

He may look for 15-20k a week, may well get it. High by most standards? Too high for what we'd be looking to pay.

A salary demand being too high for us going forward doesn't mean it's a high salary for most clubs.

Good solid player in past seasons, very reliable when he’s stepped in. The club has been very fair with him, others may have squared him off a few seasons ago.

Salary demands don't equate to high salary per ce.

He may look for 15-20k a week, may well get it. High by most standards? Too high for what we'd be looking to pay.

A salary demand being too high for us going forward doesn't mean it's a high salary for most clubs.
    His playing record, injury record and age is the same where ever he goes. If that makes the salary he is asking us for too high for us then the chances are it will be too high for virtually any other club that might offer him a contract, most clubs are in financial trouble.

I expect if he gets another contract elsewhere it will be on a lot less money than he was on here. I expect he has not been offered a new contract with Cardiff City because of his age, injury record and lack of game time in the last few seasons. I very much doubt that he demanded £Xk a week and the club said sorry we can't afford you.

His playing record, injury record and age is the same where ever he goes. If that makes the salary he is asking us for too high for us then the chances are it will be too high for virtually any other club that might offer him a contract, most clubs are in financial trouble.

I expect if he gets another contract elsewhere it will be on a lot less money than he was on here. I expect he has not been offered a new contract with Cardiff City because of his age, injury record and lack of game time in the last few seasons. I very much doubt that he demanded £Xk a week and the club said sorry we can't afford you.
    Most clubs are in financial trouble, sure. Most due to not being financially prudent, that's not going to change - Villa 100k per week for Terry for example.

I listed several reasons of which salary demands would be one. Club make an assessment based on all of those factors. I doubt salary expectations would be the determinant factor, the other factors would imo have meant no deal would have been offered by the club.

If it got to the stage where the club wanted to keep him, I doubt very much we'd have offered a salary he would have wanted based upon Dalman's comments.

Who said "high salary"?

His last contract extension was in July 2018 and he's made one appearance for us since then.

Most clubs are in financial trouble, sure. Most due to not being financially prudent, that's not going to change - Villa 100k per week for Terry for example.

I listed several reasons of which salary demands would be one. Club make an assessment based on all of those factors. I doubt salary expectations would be the determinant factor, the other factors would imo have meant no deal would have been offered by the club.

If it got to the stage where the club wanted to keep him, I doubt very much we'd have offered a salary he would have wanted based upon Dalman's comments.
    Aren't you contradicting yourself and agreeing with me?

Aren't you contradicting yourself and agreeing with me?
    No, I'm clarifying your clear confusion.

I listed wages as one factor, listed after others and you've seemingly jumped on that only. There's zero contradiction there and I'm glad to see you're agreeing with my point, finally.