+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retained List

Re: Retained List

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Oddly enough, my lad randomly started telling me this morning about how Celtic had released Andrew Robertson at 15 because he was too short. Every club must have similar stories to tell.

I see Charlton started with Matthews, Lockyer and Oshilaja at the back today and won 1-0. A clean sheet for them on Tuesday and then Magennis pops up with a goal on the last day of the season to stop us making the play offs and I reckon you might spontaneously combust.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    None of those three has really dome much as of yet, have they? Would any of them get into our current side?
    Well three of them are playing regularly at the same level as the club are currently at, with one of them a Wales international and another likely to be capped fairly soon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southa...3s_and_Academy

According to this there are currently 16 players on the books of Southampton who have played for their first team (although three are out on loan at the moment). There have been many others who are now at other clubs ranging from non-league to some chancer at Real Madrid. Are they good at finding players with the right stuff or do they instil the right stuff in them? Has someone from City been down there for a nose around?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Well three of them are playing regularly at the same level as the club are currently at, with one of them a Wales international and another likely to be capped fairly soon
    Right - so they aren't better than we had at the time of release. Nor are they better than what we have now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southa...3s_and_Academy

According to this there are currently 16 academy players on the books of Southampton who have played for their first team (although three are out on loan at the moment). There have been many others who are now at other clubs ranging from non-league to some chancer at Real Madrid. Are they good at finding players with the right stuff or do they instil the right stuff in them? Has someone from City been down there for a nose around?

One of my sons mates was in the academy at Villa (too far to travel), he moved to Bristol City, where he was picked up by Southampton, where he was based at the University of Bath. He didn't make the cut in the end but he's always explained the Southampton were more professional & lights years ahead in every aspect than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    One of my sons mates was in the academy at Villa (too far to travel), he moved to Bristol City, where he was picked up by Southampton, where he was based at the University of Bath. He didn't make the cut in the end but he's always explained the Southampton were more professional & lights years ahead in every aspect than the other two.
    They always have been. They poached a couple of our youth coaches in Matty Crocker and Gavin Tait.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Right - so they aren't better than we had at the time of release. Nor are they better than what we have now.
    But they'd be in the side at no transfer cost, provide a link with the local community, prevent the yearly "our academy is shit" discussions/inquests, they'd also help bring down the age of the oldest side in the division (according to Sky) and also give potential hope to more of our youngsters meaning we may not miss out on more talent to the likes of Swansea

Also, considering Cabango is just 20 and is already playing at our level, I'd suggest we really missed out there

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Semi Ajayi wasn’t good enough though
    Would you have played him over Morrison/Bamba/Manga in 17/18? Of course not. Well done to him but things like these happen.