+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retained List

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Retained List

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You've got to the heart of the problem there - an Academy which has coached its scholars to play in a certain way for the past fifteen years or more and a first team that for much of that time has played a type of football that has little need for young players coming through the ranks who play in the manner they've been taught to for a decade or more in some cases.
    The first team don't play like the academy, and then you've got a disconnect where players can't really drop in. Whether he was the right person to address this, Slade tried to fix this a bit and Warnock's youngest player was Patto. Hopefully Morison's and Harris' relationship addresses this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The first team don't play like the academy, and then you've got a disconnect where players can't really drop in. Whether he was the right person to address this, Slade tried to fix this a bit and Warnock's youngest player was Patto. Hopefully Morison's and Harris' relationship addresses this.
    For me, it's got to the stage where it's a simple choice, if the club want the first team to keep on playing in the same manner, there seems little point in having an Academy. The two things are incompatible are the moment and I don't think changing the way the Academy team plays would work because you cannot be sure how much more physical development any of the teenagers involved will show. Returning to Sion Spence, I'm not saying anything about whether he deserved to be let go or not, but he hadn't grown a great deal in the last three years or so and I don't think that would have done him any favours when it came to first team selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You’re right. There’s a massive difference between what the academy coaches are delivering in relation to certain managers needs, wants and expectations.

Different techniques, philosophies and playing styles make the playing side look disjointed.

If anyone remembers Bellamy doing his punditry on Sky Sports and acknowledging City’s play was lacking some football finesse was a shining example of this.

Someone’s mentioned earlier the academy seems to produce players for other clubs.