+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retained List

Retained List

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-professionals

Connolly, Richards and Bogle leave as expected. Ward to stay until end of season, club say "discussions about his longer term future are ongoing". One time future star Sion Spence also released.

Re: Retained List

Cameron Coxe too. That little run of games he had - including the FA Cup tie against Carlisle - seemed to seal his fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Cameron Coxe too. That little run of games he had - including the FA Cup tie against Carlisle - seemed to seal his fate.
    I reckon that the club would've half known that he wasn't good enough. He didn't help himself in those games though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Thought that was known a while back?

Always feel for the youngsters seeing their name on that list, even more so given that clubs are going to be a lot more frugal in these time, uncertain future. Got to be done, I know, but still...........

Not seen him play but I thought I'd read some good things about Spence on here. Anyone seen him play that is surprised by this or has he struggled more recently?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Always feel for the youngsters seeing their name on that list, even more so given that clubs are going to be a lot more frugal in these time, uncertain future. Got to be done, I know, but still...........
    Especially the two under 18s lads who werent offered professional terms. No need to name those two.

I had forgotten that Matt Connolly signed for us 8 years ago. A real shame the back end of his Cardiff career was blighted bu injury.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-professionals

I was told by someone from the Academy, that Sion was an excellent prospect and they’d be very disappointed if he didn’t make it. He hasn’t really pushed on and his spell at Barry Town didn’t seem that successful. I don’t think he fits into the City style and hopefully, he can go somewhere else and keep his career going with a team that plays a bit more football.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I reckon that the club would've half known that he wasn't good enough. He didn't help himself in those games though.
    I sometimes think those running the academy are able to 'build up' the potential of players to justify their budget. I don't think Warnock was impressed and whilst Harris makes out he's keen to promote when ready, we've yet to see a player come through who looks Championship standard. That's a shocking statistic for a club with our catchment area, whether the City play quality football or not..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I sometimes think those running the academy are able to 'build up' the potential of players to justify their budget. I don't think Warnock was impressed and whilst Harris makes out he's keen to promote when ready, we've yet to see a player come through who looks Championship standard. That's a shocking statistic for a club with our catchment area, whether the City play quality football or not..
    It's an absolute disgrace and it shows the level of coaching and how these young players simply aren't even close to the level required. Something is wrong.

Might work the other way, clubs may look for players who aren't going to cost a penny, they may think it's worth a punt.

Have to say they are spot on...if you are 21/22/23 and not contending for the first time seriosuly they are not going to make it.

Best of luck to them...but absolutely right to get rid of the dead wood....

while Warnock was there nobody had a hope in hell of making a breakthrough.
    these players are stalling because they aren't getting game time at the age of 18,19,20 rather than not getting game time because they aren't progressing well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    while Warnock was there nobody had a hope in hell of making a breakthrough.
    these players are stalling because they aren't getting game time at the age of 18,19,20 rather than not getting game time because they aren't progressing well enough.
    Those not on loan are learning by playing against similar age range. The old reserve leagues were far better.

Youngsters have failed to come through under a broad range of managers.

There's definitely a lack of development at City. We seem to have a lot of promising youngsters who are bigged and then end up being released. Obviously they have not developed sufficiently to get a senior contract but it is not clear whether it is the player not progressing or the standard of coaching at City. Next year we'll probably see the latest 'starlet', George Ratcliffe, released.

I'd say it's more that they are bigged up out of proportion with achievements at the moment.

I was at school with Damon Searle and there were far, far better "flair" players at school. He had the dedication and drive unlike others.

Sion Spence was bigged up to be almost the next Rambo. Went to Barry, was his loan that successful? How many have really pushed on to find success elsewhere? As much as I'd have liked to keep some now playing in the Champ - Oshilaja, Ajayi - both were in a position that at that point in time have a number of players ahead of them. Same for others.

I don't believe for one second any of the numerous managers who have "ignored" youth would refuse to pick someone young that was knocking his door down with training, performances.

What the Academy setups have seen is a rise in players kept on when at any other time they'd have been cut. Players 20, 21, 22, 23 not good enough fir first team action have made a decent living in the process.

Tough on Pinchard and Parsons, two good players and both here for around 10 years but there's a lot of competition in their positions. Not the best time to be a left back here, as Parsons is, with Bennett and Cunningham (and Smith) in the first team squad plus Bagan and Martin both impressing out on loan this season. TOBW will be disappointed about Pinchard but central midfield is another area that's well covered at first team and under-23 level. Not a right back in sight though, I wonder what the plan is there?

Looks like Aaron Bolger, Mark Harris, James Waite, Tom Sang and Ciaron Brown will all be here next season along with most of Bellamy's title winning Academy lads. Steve Morison didn't get to spend much time with the under-23s after taking over but it looked like he meant business, time will tell. If there are going to be cutbacks here next season then bringing some of those lads through might become a short term necessity rather than the (very) long term project it usually is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Tough on Pinchard and Parsons, two good players and both here for around 10 years but there's a lot of competition in their positions. Not the best time to be a left back here, as Parsons is, with Bennett and Cunningham (and Smith) in the first team squad plus Bagan and Martin both impressing out on loan this season. TOBW will be disappointed about Pinchard but central midfield is another area that's well covered at first team and under-23 level. Not a right back in sight though, I wonder what the plan is there?

Looks like Aaron Bolger, Mark Harris, James Waite, Tom Sang and Ciaron Brown will all be here next season along with most of Bellamy's title winning Academy lads. Steve Morison didn't get to spend much time with the under-23s after taking over but it looked like he meant business, time will tell. If there are going to be cutbacks here next season then bringing some of those lads through might become a short term necessity rather than the (very) long term project it usually is here.
    Have we extended Ciaron Brown's contract? I thought that it expired this summer. He'll be 23 in January, so he needs to be playing first-team football.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

In my opinion the very term ‘under-23s’ is no good for the game, if any player aged between, say, 18-22 has made about 50 appearances for the under 23s he’s with the wrong club. And 50 is being over generous.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Have we extended Ciaron Brown's contract? I thought that it expired this summer. He'll be 23 in January, so he needs to be playing first-team football.
    Think we did. Right now it's Morrison and Nelson on form so Brown will have to perform pretty well to break through suspect he'll be on the subs bench.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    There's a recent interview with Neil Harris here where he says that Brown, Harris and Sang will all be here next season.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-kids-18336925

Looks like Waite too. As you say, Brown is 22, Waite and Harris are 21 and Sang is 21 next week so it surprises me that all four are still here. If Harris sees them pushing for a first team place next season is that because of the potential he sees in them or is it a sign that the club will be run on a much reduced budget?

Sion Spence scored thirty plus goals from a number ten type position for the Under 18s in 17/18, was injured for quite a bit of 18/19 and out on loan to Barry for the first half of this season, so I've not seen a great deal of him for a couple of years. However, he didn't quite look the player he had been at 16 and 17 when I did see him play. Everything I've heard about him suggests his attitude was good and I can't help thinking that, like quite a few others, the club have not handled the transition from youth player to young pro for a talented footballer.poorly.

Surprised to see Harry Pinchard released - he was influential in a good Wales under 17 side in the autumn.

Just to say I should have deleted the word "not" from the last sentence of the first paragraph above.

In my opinion the very term ‘under-23s’ is no good for the game, if any player aged between, say, 18-22 has made about 50 appearances for the under 23s he’s with the wrong club. And 50 is being over generous.
    The club seemed to recognise this after what happened with youngsters like O'Sullivan and Wharton and have been shipping lads out much sooner. Now it looks like we'll have four over-21s here next season at that level (and Dan Martin will be 21 in September). I'm assuming Harris has a good reason for this, we'll have to wait and see what it is.