+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Agents fees

Agents fees

The list of agents fees paid out by clubs from 01/02/2019 to 31/01/2020 was published by the FA today.

City's total payments of £3,462,349 was the fifth-highest in the Championship. Clubs who paid more were:

£5,683,904 - Stoke
    £5,199,242 - Swansea
    £4,428,786 - Fulham
    £4,030,846 - Leeds Utd

A sample of other payments:

£3,362,724 - Brentford
    £2,807,344 - West Brom
    £2,355,049 - Huddersfield
    £2,142,953 - Derby
    £1,889,161 - Bristol City
    £1,237,510 - Nottingham Forest

I was surprised to see both Swansea and Cardiff so far up the table. Can't really understand it considering the transfers both clubs have been involved in during the relevant period. Perhaps Swansea's total includes payments to agents dealing with outgoing transfers (I'm thinking of Daniel James in particular), but why is Cardiff's figure so high?

Heisenberg

Re: Agents fees

The only "big" signings were Glatzel And Flints so I wonder if any of the more reputable players had contract renegotiations during that time period... Which would still make me question the amount spent on agent's fees.

Seems scandalous considering what we spent on transfers and the players that we have available.

So the period covered excludes the January window in the Premier League - and relates just to last summer and the January window this year?

The main business that may have generated fees would be (I suppose) the Bobby Decordova-Reid loan and transfer, the Robert Glatzel, Aden Flint and Will Vaulks signings, and the three loans in January - plus whatever went to Neil Warnock and Neil Harris' agent. There were a slew of loans out in that time and a few other transfers in the summer (Day, Vassell, Nelson, Whyte, Pack) but it didn't feel at the time as if Cardiff were much more active or profligate than most other clubs in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    So the period covered excludes the January window in the Premier League - and relates just to last summer and the January window this year?

The main business that may have generated fees would be (I suppose) the Bobby Decordova-Reid loan and transfer, the Robert Glatzel, Aden Flint and Will Vaulks signings, and the three loans in January - plus whatever went to Neil Warnock and Neil Harris' agent. There were a slew of loans out in that time and a few other transfers in the summer (Day, Vassell, Nelson, Whyte, Pack) but it didn't feel at the time as if Cardiff were much more active or profligate than most other clubs in the division.
    Zohore? He moved during that period I think.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the 'selling' clubs don't pay agency fees.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I forgot Zohore - and Bruno Manga (a big fee and a smaller fee) - both will have had agents taking a slice.

What's the betting it eventually turns out that the biggest agent fees were paid to get Jack and Paul McKay out of the club?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the 'selling' clubs don't pay agency fees.
    Didn't Nantes pay Willie McKay (directly or through his son) a big fee as part of the Emiliano Sala deal? They may not have paid Sala's own agent, but they certainly paid to get the price up and the deal done.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Didn't Nantes pay Willie McKay (directly or through his son) a big fee as part of the Emiliano Sala deal? They may not have paid Sala's own agent, but they certainly paid to get the price up and the deal done.
    Yeah, I think they did... but as you say, the circumstances in that deal involved outside parties as well as the player's agent.

Unless we paid someone to tout our players around (pretty unlikely, I guess), I don't think we would have spent any money in that period in regards to anyone leaving the club.

It’s scary that the fees paid by Cardiff are almost the same as the entirety of League One!

Should imagine its the going rate for a side dealing in the drop from premier into championship with contract changes ,personal moves .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Should imagine its the going rate for a side dealing in the drop from premier into championship with contract changes ,personal moves .
    Yes, probably true, in the crazy world of football finances there were probably agents fees due to sorting out contract changes etc