Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
I very rarely mention the war, but thats about the only other time in recent yrs, that the whole of the Uk have been affected by a situation. Is that ok with you? Why do you always ask daft questions?
Your reference to the war was very apt I thought. It is definitely worth comparing the situation then with what we are experiencing today. My parents lived through the war as adults and I think they would definitely have labelled some of us as snowflakes when we complain that we cannot get our favourite brand of baked beans or are limited to two of everything! My grandparents dug up a lot of their garden to grow their own fruit and veg. Rationing was the norm and when you look up the daily allowances at the time, no wonder obesity was not an issue! In today's world of instant communication it is hard to imagine that my mother did not hear from my father for weeks/months on end, only receiving the very occasional letter, as he made his way across North Africa, Italy and Austria with the British 8th Army.