+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Albany Road, Roath

First Team

Albany Road, Roath

The residential part heading towards Penylan. What's it like? Any opinions welcome.

International

Re: Albany Road, Roath

It used to be very up market but not so much now. The further down you go from the Claude, the closer you get to Newport Rd and Broadway. A lot of the beautiful old houses are now 3 or 4 1 and 2 bed flats. There are still some nice places though.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It used to be very up market but not so much now. The further down you go from the Claude, the closer you get to Newport Rd and Broadway. A lot of the beautiful old houses are now 3 or 4 1 and 2 bed flats. There are still some nice places though.
    Ta.

Residential end of Albany Road? Pretty good. Biggish houses, though a lot of them are flats now. Nice place to live, though parking is a bit tight sometimes. I reckon it's one of the best places in Cardiff to live, if you can afford it. Nice properties, decent shops, close to down, easy motorway access, decent(ish) schools, good pubs when they're open, local bakery. What more could you want?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    The residential part heading towards Penylan. What's it like? Any opinions welcome.
    Couple of decent primary schools in that catchment too if you have kids. Quite a strange area really as one side of Albany rd you have some very smart posh houses and people, the other side you have Claude rd/Connaught to which are full of beds sits/half way houses Etc. Some right loose units wandering around late at night but decent takeaways etc by there...

Death junction , further up , in one of the most multi cultural areasxper head of population in the uk

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Death junction , further up , in one of the most multi cultural areasxper head of population in the uk
    Traffic accidents or murder? Sounds rough.

Traffic accidents or murder? Sounds rough.
    It's where executions were carried out, i believe.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Really? I never knew that. Where on Albany Road was this exactly?

https://www.theguardian.com/cardiff/...junction-roath

Where Crwys rd, Albany rd, City rd, Richmond rd and Mackintosh place all meet. I went to Saint Philip Evans school, him and john lloyd were hung, drawn and quartered.

Where Crwys rd, Albany rd, City rd, Richmond rd and Mackintosh place all meet. I went to Saint Philip Evans school, him and john lloyd were hung, drawn and quartered.
    What's that pub right in the middle ?

I think it turned into a sports bar

There was a good barbers by there , big city fan

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What's that pub right in the middle ?

I think it turned into a sports bar

There was a good barbers by there , big city fan
    The George

I newr knew about this.
    Thanks for posting

I went to Saint Philip Evans school, him and john lloyd were hung, drawn and quartered.[/QUOTE]

What did they do wrong, did they fail their 11 plus or were they caught having a sly one behind the bike sheds?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I went to Saint Philip Evans school, him and john lloyd were hung, drawn and quartered.
    What did they do wrong, did they fail their 11 plus or were they caught having a sly one behind the bike sheds?[/QUOTE]

Lived on Ninian Road for a few years and loved the area. Plenty of decent shops, pubs (The Albany was my favourite) and coffee shops if you like that sort of thing. An easy walk into town and would even stroll to watch the city in nice weather.

Hung until they were nearly dead, entrails drawn from them, then arms and legs tied to four horses and the four horses then galloping up the different streets of the junction, what a sight that must have been, there’s even a spare street in case one of the others were busy

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hung until they were nearly dead, entrails drawn from them, then arms and legs tied to four horses and the four horses then galloping up the different streets of the junction, what a sight that must have been, there’s even a spare street in case one of the others were busy
    You can only imagine the amount that were wrongly accused and hung back then also, verdict often made in one person saying “they saw him/her near the scene etc”

International

I seem to recall reading that the last man hanged there was hanged for stealing bread. The story used to be in the wall of one if the pubs on City road, Poets Corner maybe.

That'll teach them to take shortcuts.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Lol
    Don’t laugh Bobby, they’ve only stopped because of lockdown, just waiting for Drakeford’s ok to resume service.

Executions were at the time usually carried out at a crossroads outside the city, and this was one of the nearest ones to Cardiff.
    And the bodies were buried in the fields next to the crossroads (presumably under part of Roath now)