+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do people really believe the bollocks about 'snowflakes'?

Do people really believe the bollocks about 'snowflakes'?

Honestly, do people really think there are lots of people out there waiting to get offended by stuff?

I don't. I think there's a simple code of what is acceptable and what isn't. I don't buy into the argument that "I was having a laugh, if someone doesn't find it funny they must be a snowflake".

I think the whole snowflake bollocks is an invention of the political right to discredit people having feelings about things.

Re: Do people really believe the bollocks about 'snowflakes'?

The term snowflake is such nonsense, it's people outraged by things calling people snowflakes for being outraged by other things.

*something is said which someone thinks is offensive*

*they're wound up about it and vocalise their disapproval*

*someone else is wound up by the fact that they can't say that thing anymore without being criticised, calls the person criticising them a snowflake because THEM being wound up by something is different*

Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Honestly, do people really think there are lots of people out there waiting to get offended by stuff?

I don't. I think there's a simple code of what is acceptable and what isn't. I don't buy into the argument that "I was having a laugh, if someone doesn't find it funny they must be a snowflake".

I think the whole snowflake bollocks is an invention of the political right to discredit people having feelings about things.
    I refuse to use such terms. Perjoratively labelling people serves no purpose other than devaluing one's own argument or perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I refuse to use such terms. Perjoratively labelling people serves no purpose other than devaluing one's own argument or perspective.
    Precisely. I won't use the term gammon for exactly the same reason. Wankspangle on the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Besides which we’re Cardiff City FFS.

The people I observe who use the term ‘snowflake’ are usually right wing orientated, hysterical wankers who act like pre pubescent girls about anything they disagree with.

They do provide some entertainment when they start to froth at the mouth over hinges like gender neutral toilets.

Weird ****ers.

Snowflake

Its PC gone mad

I am not racist but .....

Essentially it’s a result of the emergence of Social Justice Warrior’s and perceived “Micro-aggressions”.

Along with the platforms that Social Media has provided...Intersectionality/Identity politics are in my opinion one of the, if not the biggest divisive factors of what has brought us such a Social and Political chasm today.

I think a lot of a once left leaning part of society has been pushed to the right of centre due to a new, new wave of progressivism.

Over this time frame we have seen the introduction of Safe Spaces, Participation Trophies and a call for Jazz Hands.

As well as as some absolute belters going viral accusing people of abuse on camera for the most innocuous of reasons.

The black and white minstrel show was acceptable once

Time moves on , well for some it does

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The black and white minstrel show was acceptable once

Time moves on , well for some it does
    Unless you are alluding to a miscarriage of justice from the 30 years ago to try and prove a point...I guess it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Unless you are alluding to a miscarriage of justice from the 30 years ago to try and prove a point...I guess it does.
    There are injustices today as well you know

Could be you they frame next

Essentially it’s a result of the emergence of Social Justice Warrior’s and perceived “Micro-aggressions”.

Along with the platforms that Social Media has provided...Intersectionality/Identity politics are in my opinion one of the, if not the biggest divisive factors of what has brought us such a Social and Political chasm today.

I think a lot of a once left leaning part of society has been pushed to the right of centre due to a new, new wave of progressivism.

Over this time frame we have seen the introduction of Safe Spaces, Participation Trophies and a call for Jazz Hands.

As well as as some absolute belters going viral accusing people of abuse on camera for the most innocuous of reasons.
    People dont change because or race relations legislation or progressive social policy

They were bigoted ignorant idiots before that

People dont change because or race relations legislation or progressive social policy

They were bigoted ignorant idiots before that
    I respectfully disagree with you.
    Maybe have never been as passionate as you about certain things but I’d like to think that the vast majority would like fairness, equality, justice and their say.

Maybe have never been as passionate as you about certain things but I’d like to think that the vast majority would like fairness, equality, justice and their say.
    What they say and how they act if you probe that aren't always compatible.

One example. I went on a male voice choir trip to Bradford. 50 odd men mostly over 50. Once we'd arrived there, there was an echo of comments that went along the lines of "oh, look, a white man", "how are all those pakis over here" etc. I reckon most of that choir said similar things. They all thought they were right. I bet they all liked fairness, equality, justice etc, but comments like that aren't acceptable.

This is why bringing up issues with race is so important. It's vital to challenge people's attitudes. Lots don't like that and I understand that, not wanting to be in the spotlight. But if we are to be a truly tolerant society towards everyone, we need to challenge those supposedly innocuous moments that are racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The people I observe who use the term ‘snowflake’ are usually right wing orientated, hysterical wankers who act like pre pubescent girls about anything they disagree with.

They do provide some entertainment when they start to froth at the mouth over hinges like gender neutral toilets.

Weird ****ers.

Oh the irony 😂

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The term snowflake is such nonsense, it's people outraged by things calling people snowflakes for being outraged by other things.

*something is said which someone thinks is offensive*

*they're wound up about it and vocalise their disapproval*

*someone else is wound up by the fact that they can't say that thing anymore without being criticised, calls the person criticising them a snowflake because THEM being wound up by something is different*

Embarrassing.
    You sound like you’d talk a glass eye to sleep son .

What they say and how they act if you probe that aren't always compatible.
    Yeah I’ve felt the probing on here alright and it’s not nice.
    Be awesome if what your intentions and typed thoughts were taken at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Oh the irony 😂
    Really?

I can’t remember gender neutral toilets really moithering me?

One example. I went on a male voice choir trip to Bradford. 50 odd men mostly over 50. Once we'd arrived there, there was an echo of comments that went along the lines of "oh, look, a white man", "how are all those pakis over here" etc. I reckon most of that choir said similar things. They all thought they were right. I bet they all liked fairness, equality, justice etc, but comments like that aren't acceptable.

This is why bringing up issues with race is so important. It's vital to challenge people's attitudes. Lots don't like that and I understand that, not wanting to be in the spotlight. But if we are to be a truly tolerant society towards everyone, we need to challenge those supposedly innocuous moments that are racist.
    Indeed a fair point that you bring up.
    As essential as it is, could we put Race it in context with the other factors of Intersectionality (I know I keep banging this drum) and see how it has been used with the other factors to create where we are at with terms like Snowflake or Gammon being used.

Yeah I’ve felt the probing on here alright and it’s not nice.
    Be awesome if what your intentions and typed thoughts were taken at face value.
    But it's also easy to hide behind words.

Isnt progressive social policy aiming for fairness , equality , justice and people having their say

For example if someone says there is too much immigration in this country then a discussion can be had , if someone says black and asian people have more rights than white people and black people are always playing the race card then clearly we are dealing with bigots

Isnt progressive social policy aiming for fairness , equality , justice and people having their say

For example if someone says there is too much immigration in this country then a discussion can be had , if someone says black and asian people have more rights than white people and black people are always playing the race card then clearly we are dealing with bigots
    It most certainly is!
    New New wave progressiveness seems to be trying to edge further than that to me.

You are going to ask for an example next I know...but I’m going to make you work for your coin.

Well put

But it's also easy to hide behind words.
    It certainly is.

If you’d like...and promise not to get all doxy.
    I’d happily add you as a friend on Facebook if you PM me. You can see for yourself my thoughts and soul laid as bare as possible.