+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Harris

Neil Harris

I’m scratching my head about him.

We still play hoof ball
    We still play the same XI pretty much
    We play around a little bit more with the ball but still have relatively low possession
    We still start with a defender as our main striker

I’m trying to work out what he’s actually changed to make us tick. Whatever he’s done, it’s working.

Good luck to him

Re: Neil Harris

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

We still play hoof ball
    We play around a little bit more with the ball but still have relatively low possession

I’m trying to work out what he’s actually changed to make us tick. Whatever he’s done, it’s working.

Good luck to him
    I think we play less hoofball to be fair, NML's goal was after some lovely passing but yeah I know exactly what you mean.

He's brought Vaulks in for Pack I suppose

Players like Tomlin and Glatzel have a confidence that was missing.

Sanderson and Adomah adding a bit extra?

Was Smithies starting under Warnock? I can't remember

We're looking to play the ball out from the back more. Hoof ball? Not exactly.
    Same XI? Not much he can really do. We've bench options but Flint, Pack et al aren't going to start.
    Fulham had plenty of possession vs Leeds and got murdered. It's what you do with what possession you have and we now look like scoring.
    Can only think plan right is let Paterson give defenders a physical battle, then unleash Glatzel against tired legs.

The improvement is clear in the results but it's not going to be the case we wake up playing like Barca.

We still play hoof ball

Good luck to him
    In what ive seen today in the last two matches there's evidence of more of a passing game

We still play hoof ball

Good luck to him
    He's eased out a couple of Warnock's favourites who weren't really performing (Etheridge and Peltier), given a chance to a player that Warnock had completely ignored (Vaulks), and trusted Tomlin to play 90 minutes before he got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I think we play less hoofball to be fair, NML's goal was after some lovely passing but yeah I know exactly what you mean.

He's brought Vaulks in for Pack I suppose

Players like Tomlin and Glatzel have a confidence that was missing.

Sanderson and Adomah adding a bit extra?

Was Smithies starting under Warnock? I can't remember
    Etheridge had a few games on the bench after recovering from his hamstring injury, but he was brought back into the team after the international window in October.

he's doing a much better job than worncock so i'm happy

A massive boost to The City is the five sub situation. Gives us marvellous multiple options compared to others with shallower squads and we’ve only really used one of those options so far. We’ve got a large, experienced squad at this level, could be crucial in the race for the line.

Our Bench looked far more impressive than both Leeds and Preston and that may be key in the coming weeks.

We still play hoof ball

Good luck to him
    I feel the same.

If you add up some of the answers to this thread, that is probably the answer and they’ll have had a cumulative effect.

I still think that we are desperate to watch but dropping Flint (everyone could see that was needed) and Pack, and the introduction of Smithies, Sanderson, Nelson, Vaulks and Tomlin has helped for which he deserves credit.

The fact Tomlin has been our best player suggests he's playing different stuff to Warnock. Our wingers not holding hands with our fullbacks is another positive.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He's eased out a couple of Warnock's favourites who weren't really performing (Etheridge and Peltier), given a chance to a player that Warnock had completely ignored (Vaulks), and trusted Tomlin to play 90 minutes before he got injured.
    You could say Glatzel has improved and Tomlin looks happier, Curtis Nelson is coming along lovely and Sanderson is looking a good prospect.

My mate pointed out earlier that some PR manager has definitely taken over Murphy's Twitter

https://twitter.com/joshmurphy65

Etheridge slowing things down with slow distribution, Pack slowing things down when in possession, Peltier unable to find a team mate with a pass beyond the halfway-line, Flint easily caught out of position and poor passing.

We played some nice football against Preston, it was encouraging to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Clearly not, we played nothing more than hoofball according to some...

Had the season started when Neil Harris took charge, Cardiff would currently be in the Championship top two. Only Leeds (43) have collected more points than Cardiff’s 39

Cardiff manager win % ��

Dave Jones - 42%
    Malky Mackay - 43%
    Solskjaer - 30%
    Russell Slade - 39%
    Paul Trollope - 16%
    Neil Warnock - 43%
    Neil Harris - 46%

Etheridge slowing things down with slow distribution, Pack slowing things down when in possession, Peltier unable to find a team mate with a pass beyond the halfway-line, Flint easily caught out of position and poor passing.

I just don't get what we are attempting in the final third. I definitely understand what we were doing otherwise. We just need to add some cutting edge to our attack, which we got when Mendez Glatzel and Tomlin came on. So it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I just don't get what we are attempting in the final third. I definitely understand what we were doing otherwise. We just need to add some cutting edge to our attack, which we got when Mendez Glatzel and Tomlin came on. So it's there.
    I don't know what NML's fitness levels are, but the sooner he's able to start instead of Adomah, the better.

He wouldn't have been my first choice and if I was pushed would have been the last of the names I would have picked from those linked to the club at the time.

I looked at what he had done at Millwall at this level and feared the worst. I was a big critic of the decision at the time based on his track record prior to coming here and those we had been linked with instead of Harris.

We still give up possession and still lack in areas but he has yet to be given much chance to remedy that so he can't really be held at fault for that. It is very much a hangover from Warnockball.

Harris has surprised me and he is doing very well here. Firstly it is a results business and he is getting those regardless of style of play. He is not scared to make changes and I like the way he has handled Glatzel as well as a few others and he looks like he is improving. A good sign.

A refreshing change for me is the way he introduces subs and influences a game, yesterday being a prime example. Warnock hardly ever did that and was sometimes so frustrating with a game that needed a change of shape and subbed like for like.

He also seems to have the players up for it post lockdown. We seem to be fitter and hungrier than those we've come up against despite both teams we've played so far having plenty to play for. Bodes well for him being able to motivate the team to go that bit further and might be vital at the business end of the season, be it this season or in future.

There is a long way to go both this season and in terms of Harris' time here but I'm liking what I'm seeing and feel that given a bit of money he could introduce a more footballing philosophy here. Hats off to him so far.

I don't know what NML's fitness levels are, but the sooner he's able to start instead of Adomah, the better.
    He certainly has the cutting edge we are after

He certainly has the cutting edge we are after
    He’s also been inconsistent when starting.

Maybe coming off the bench as an impact sub for last 30 mins is getting the best out of him.

Defenders certainly don’t want a fresh, strong NML running at them as they are starting to tire.

Aden Flint has started just one Championship game this year - the 6-1 hammering at QPR on New Year's Day. Before that he'd started pretty much every game.

As far as I'm concerned, the Morrison/Nelson partnership at the back looks considerably better than any combination involving Flint. The side not only defends better but plays a little more football from defence. I think the absence of Flint has had a positive effect on the overall shape of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s also been inconsistent when starting.

Maybe coming off the bench as an impact sub for last 30 mins is getting the best out of him.

Defenders certainly don’t want a fresh, strong NML running at them as they are starting to tire.
    Agree he's not a 90 minute player, and I suppose if you're going to start him and run defenders ragged you need something of equal threat or better coming on when he goes off otherwise you make it easier for the defenders when he does come off

He's just had the cutting edge that's helped the last 2 games.

I don't like Paterson as a striker, and I like Glatzel, but I'm also at this moment not sure Glatzel would be as effective over 90, even though it pains me to watch Paterson cameo up top.

Same team and style of play???

Are you pissed?

It’s not Brazil 1970 but there are several differences. Smithies for Etheridge, both good shot stoppers but Smithies distribution is far better. Flint and Pack, both of whom I could beat in a foot race, have finally been binned. Should never have been signed in the first place. Full backs are now allowed to cross the half way line. The 2 loans he’s brought in have done well, especially young Sanderson who gives us a dimension at full back we didn’t have before, showing how restricted we were with Peltier. His cross yesterday was fantastic for the opener and I really hope we can convince him to stay next season.

As has already been touched on the wingers are not just an extra fullback they are getting forward and Hoilett seems like he’s had a new lease of life as he gets consistent game time.

Vaulks and Tomlin have been given a second chance after being harshly treated by Colin and what he’s done with Tomlin is unbelievable. His man management of Tomlin has been first class. If he’s had to drop out to play different tactics like we have last 2 games to get legs in midfield he hasn’t thrown him under the bus, instead he’s made a point of praising the whole squad and substitutes not just the starting XI.

Also, since Pack has been dropped I must say Bacuna is starting to look a better midfielder.

Harris taken the best bits of Neil Warnock is work ethic, organisation, getting it forward quickly but there is more of a method than just lumping it forward head height. It’s been played into Glatzels feet / chest but also we are scoring more freely from open play.

So far I am delighted with Harris and what he’s doing given the limitations of the squad.

Agree he's not a 90 minute player, and I suppose if you're going to start him and run defenders ragged you need something of equal threat or better coming on when he goes off otherwise you make it easier for the defenders when he does come off

He's just had the cutting edge that's helped the last 2 games.

I don't like Paterson as a striker, and I like Glatzel, but I'm also at this moment not sure Glatzel would be as effective over 90, even though it pains me to watch Paterson cameo up top.
    Yeah Pato is frustrating, but we haven’t got many options and I suppose his good work goes a bit unnoticed with his chasing defenders down, making it more difficult for them. They know they are in a game but he lacks the basics of a good striker. His touch is awful.

I think it’s part of the tactic at the moment to have him on for 60 minutes wearing defenders down then Glatzel, who’s still getting used to the championship but showing signs of improvement to be fair, coming for last 30.

Tomlin and Bobby seem to have a good understanding too.