+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Harris

Re: Neil Harris

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Same team and style of play???

Are you pissed?

It’s not Brazil 1970 but there are several differences. Smithies for Etheridge, both good shot stoppers but Smithies distribution is far better. Flint and Pack, both of whom I could beat in a foot race, have finally been binned. Should never have been signed in the first place. Full backs are now allowed to cross the half way line. The 2 loans he’s brought in have done well, especially young Sanderson who gives us a dimension at full back we didn’t have before, showing how restricted we were with Peltier. His cross yesterday was fantastic for the opener and I really hope we can convince him to stay next season.

As has already been touched on the wingers are not just an extra fullback they are getting forward and Hoilett seems like he’s had a new lease of life as he gets consistent game time.

Vaulks and Tomlin have been given a second chance after being harshly treated by Colin and what he’s done with Tomlin is unbelievable. His man management of Tomlin has been first class. If he’s had to drop out to play different tactics like we have last 2 games to get legs in midfield he hasn’t thrown him under the bus, instead he’s made a point of praising the whole squad and substitutes not just the starting XI.

Also, since Pack has been dropped I must say Bacuna is starting to look a better midfielder.

Harris taken the best bits of Neil Warnock is work ethic, organisation, getting it forward quickly but there is more of a method than just lumping it forward head height. It’s been played into Glatzels feet / chest but also we are scoring more freely from open play.

So far I am delighted with Harris and what he’s doing given the limitations of the squad.
    Great post-well summed up. Agree with everything that you say. Interesting to see how Bacuna has developed. He's certainly got an edge, not the most composed player on the park but i love how he doesn't hide and getson the ball using his aggression. He's fitting in quite nicely now, he's a bit of a nasty bastard as well, always leaves a little bit on his opponent, just what we needed.

Yeah Pato is frustrating, but we haven’t got many options and I suppose his good work goes a bit unnoticed with his chasing defenders down, making it more difficult for them. They know they are in a game but he lacks the basics of a good striker. His touch is awful.

I think it’s part of the tactic at the moment to have him on for 60 minutes wearing defenders down then Glatzel, who’s still getting used to the championship but showing signs of improvement to be fair, coming for last 30.

Tomlin and Bobby seem to have a good understanding too.
    Pato is a presence, he works hard and although doesn't have that extra bit of quality, he seems to be quite happy playing the nuisance type of striker, unsettling the central defenders and using his frame and awkwardness to throw defenders off their game a bit, maybe allowing others the benefit of his graft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Great post-well summed up. Agree with everything that you say. Interesting to see how Bacuna has developed. He's certainly got an edge, not the most composed player on the park but i love how he doesn't hide and getson the ball using his aggression. He's fitting in quite nicely now, he's a bit of a nasty bastard as well, always leaves a little bit on his opponent, just what we needed.
    Yes I have been impressed the last few times I’ve seen him. He certainly works better alongside Vaulks than he did Pack. I still think a 4.5 year deal was crazy but that aside he’s starting to look one of Warnocks better buys.

Yes I have been impressed the last few times I’ve seen him. He certainly works better alongside Vaulks than he did Pack. I still think a 4.5 year deal was crazy but that aside he’s starting to look one of Warnocks better buys.
    4.5 year deal must be bent in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    4.5 year deal must be bent in some way.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    He wouldn't have been my first choice and if I was pushed would have been the last of the names I would have picked from those linked to the club at the time.

I looked at what he had done at Millwall at this level and feared the worst. I was a big critic of the decision at the time based on his track record prior to coming here and those we had been linked with instead of Harris.

We still give up possession and still lack in areas but he has yet to be given much chance to remedy that so he can't really be held at fault for that. It is very much a hangover from Warnockball.

Harris has surprised me and he is doing very well here. Firstly it is a results business and he is getting those regardless of style of play. He is not scared to make changes and I like the way he has handled Glatzel as well as a few others and he looks like he is improving. A good sign.

A refreshing change for me is the way he introduces subs and influences a game, yesterday being a prime example. Warnock hardly ever did that and was sometimes so frustrating with a game that needed a change of shape and subbed like for like.

He also seems to have the players up for it post lockdown. We seem to be fitter and hungrier than those we've come up against despite both teams we've played so far having plenty to play for. Bodes well for him being able to motivate the team to go that bit further and might be vital at the business end of the season, be it this season or in future.

There is a long way to go both this season and in terms of Harris' time here but I'm liking what I'm seeing and feel that given a bit of money he could introduce a more footballing philosophy here. Hats off to him so far.
    Just hold your hands up, you’ve had an absolute mare. Your behaviour when he was appointed was that of a petulant child not getting their own way. Threatening to boycott the club and not renew your season ticket.

A big critic is the understatement of the century. No doubt a run of 3 games with no win will have you calling for his head again.

I really never understood why anyone thought the Newport manager would be a better option.

Yeah Pato is frustrating, but we haven’t got many options and I suppose his good work goes a bit unnoticed with his chasing defenders down, making it more difficult for them. They know they are in a game but he lacks the basics of a good striker. His touch is awful.

I think it’s part of the tactic at the moment to have him on for 60 minutes wearing defenders down then Glatzel, who’s still getting used to the championship but showing signs of improvement to be fair, coming for last 30.

Tomlin and Bobby seem to have a good understanding too.
    It's worked in 2 games so far, against a good Leeds team and what I found to be an average Preston, it wasn't expected against Leeds but I'll admit I was getting frustrated waiting for the changes Saturday. Yes the tactics have worked, but I'm convinced we won't always keep a clean sheet either so where it's worked so far to keep it tight and get players like bacuna chasing players down in their own half and the energy and bite that 3 give us (with my mate up top doing his bit) there will be a game where we fall behind and would have wasted 60/70 minutes keeping it right and wearing them down and we might not have the time to pull 2 back, especially as we chase the game.

I'm not knocking what he's doing, it works, bit I think he could let the shackles off a little sooner.

Was not sold on Harris at the start, thought it was a cheap appointment and a lack of ambition. He's proved me wrong and then some. Keep it up, Neil.

Football has improved, we are a proper unit. Sanderson, again, has proved me wrong (even if I was right about Jazz ). There's so much legs in the midfield, we look really fit and for all his ills, Paterson scores and he's a right pain the backside. Admittedly, I love him so I am very biased but he must be a nightmare to play against, he bullied Ben White when we played Leeds as well. Morrison and Nelson look like a proper partnership too. I don't think I'd swap them for any other centre back pairing in the division.

We are also massive beneficiaries of having 5 subs. NML, Tomlin, Glatzel, Pack, Smith plus Murphy, Whyte and Cunningham aren't much of a drop off (if at all) from our starting XI. Hour gone, we can make 3 subs and there's no risk so our wingers and attackers have always got fresh legs and they're good players. It isn't the best squad but it is deep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Aden Flint has started just one Championship game this year - the 6-1 hammering at QPR on New Year's Day. Before that he'd started pretty much every game.

As far as I'm concerned, the Morrison/Nelson partnership at the back looks considerably better than any combination involving Flint. The side not only defends better but plays a little more football from defence. I think the absence of Flint has had a positive effect on the overall shape of the team.

Which EVERYONE could see - you have to balance any praise for Harris for making the change with why it took him SO long to drop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Which EVERYONE could see - you have to balance any praise for Harris for making the change with why it took him SO long to drop him.
    Why? He had to see what his best partnership was. He went with Flint and Nelson at Charlton and then we were unbeaten in Harris first 4 games with that pairing at the back, winning 3 of them. We then we lost to Brentford, Harris 5th game in charge and he changed it Flint / Morrison for the Leeds game. Morrison got himself sent off in that game and suspended for 3 games, which we also went unbeaten for a run of 4 games and so first game Mozza was available (and sub) was the horror show at QPR and we havent seen Flint since in the league.

Flint was given his chance, as was all 3 centre half combos and after 10 games and 6 weeks Harris has found his preferred pairing. We lost 2 games in that period so I dont see why any praise for has to be balanced out?? It was a matter of several weeks before Flint was dropped, it was hardly SOOO long.

If anyone should be criticised for not dropping Flint sooner it should be Warnock. In fact, he should be criticised for signing him in the first place as he does not compliment our captain and would be centre half partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Was not sold on Harris at the start, thought it was a cheap appointment and a lack of ambition. He's proved me wrong and then some. Keep it up, Neil.

Football has improved, we are a proper unit. Sanderson, again, has proved me wrong (even if I was right about Jazz ). There's so much legs in the midfield, we look really fit and for all his ills, Paterson scores and he's a right pain the backside. Admittedly, I love him so I am very biased but he must be a nightmare to play against, he bullied Ben White when we played Leeds as well. Morrison and Nelson look like a proper partnership too. I don't think I'd swap them for any other centre back pairing in the division.

We are also massive beneficiaries of having 5 subs. NML, Tomlin, Glatzel, Pack, Smith plus Murphy, Whyte and Cunningham aren't much of a drop off (if at all) from our starting XI. Hour gone, we can make 3 subs and there's no risk so our wingers and attackers have always got fresh legs and they're good players. It isn't the best squad but it is deep.
    Id like to see this 5 subs / made in 3 stoppages rule brought in long term. Certainly adds a different dimension to the game.

Why? He had to see what his best partnership was. He went with Flint and Nelson at Charlton and then we were unbeaten in Harris first 4 games with that pairing at the back, winning 3 of them. We then we lost to Brentford, Harris 5th game in charge and he changed it Flint / Morrison for the Leeds game. Morrison got himself sent off in that game and suspended for 3 games, which we also went unbeaten for a run of 4 games and so first game Mozza was available (and sub) was the horror show at QPR and we havent seen Flint since in the league.

Flint was given his chance, as was all 3 centre half combos and after 10 games and 6 weeks Harris has found his preferred pairing. We lost 2 games in that period so I dont see why any praise for has to be balanced out?? It was a matter of several weeks before Flint was dropped, it was hardly SOOO long.

If anyone should be criticised for not dropping Flint sooner it should be Warnock. In fact, he should be criticised for signing him in the first place as he does not compliment our captain and would be centre half partner.
    Really? He's said some very nice things about Mozzer's hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Flint is a lot better than he was made out to be but he is wholly unsuited to being Morrison's partner. He was outstanding vs Sheff Wed away for one. Nelson has got better and better and I wrote how the writing was on the wall in August after the Wigan game with Morrison and Flint as a combo. Harris deserves credit for kicking on Nelson and finding his best partnership. Morrison was injured at the start and we were winning games, keeping clean sheets with Flint at the back. When it went a bit pear shaped, Flint was dropped. Morrison is also back to his best after a shaky start to the season.

Harris will get stick when it goes wrong, and it will at some point, that's football. He definitely deserves praise for the way we've played in the last 23 games. Half a season and we'd be second (according to reports anyway!). We've only conceded 8 goals in the last 13 since the QPR debacle and have 23 points out of that 39.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    "Nice alice band Sean. I might get one".

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I just don't get what we are attempting in the final third. I definitely understand what we were doing otherwise. We just need to add some cutting edge to our attack, which we got when Mendez Glatzel and Tomlin came on. So it's there.
    But we have scored 5 in two games , all very different goals , against very good opposition ?

Harris had a tough gig to start with , and as he says you need a break sometimes to get your team to adapt, from what I've seen we have improved since the break , just re watch the two Preston games, we look fit , we look a threat , one helluva of a bench to pick from , Glatzel scoring, whats not to celebrate and like ??

Id like to see this 5 subs / made in 3 stoppages rule brought in long term. Certainly adds a different dimension to the game.
    And as Harris eluded to 20 match day squads to allow youngsters in to the game , your point about 5 substitutes would be a wonderful opportunity to provide that .

As for the 22 minute break yes why not ,perhaps it would reduce strain / slight tweak injuries , and provide a base to access them.

I'd introduce a bouncy castle as well as the drink

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And as Harris eluded to 20 match day squads to allow youngsters in to the game , your point about 5 substitutes would be a wonderful opportunity to provide that .
    This wouldn't happen though, as time went on the bench would be filled with more and more superstars (at the top level) and the game would be even more skewed in the favour of teams with loads of resources

Harris had a tough gig to start with , and as he says you need a break sometimes to get your team to adapt, from what I've seen we have improved since the break , just re watch the two Preston games, we look fit , we look a threat , one helluva of a bench to pick from , Glatzel scoring, whats not to celebrate and like ??
    When we went 2-0 down at Charlton, in his first game, I thought the players were still suffering the effects of Warnock leaving and were not impressed by his appointment.
    What he’s achieved since then, well, if I had a hat on, I’d take it off to him.

But we have scored 5 in two games , all very different goals , against very good opposition ?
    Leeds are good Preston aren't.

My post was talking about the lack of cutting edge before we make the subs, i.e when we have Paterson up top, the goals come (4 out of the 5) when the subs are made.
    The starting 11 obviously does what it's set up to do, but it has **** all cutting edge.

As a manager who didnt get a pre-season with this squad of players its been ideal and it hasnt gone unnoticed how sharp we are looking since the return. We have certainly hit the ground running.

Harris looks like he demands a lot from the lads without being a total disciplinarian. The players seem to have bought into it, no petulance when getting subbed, no murmurings of discontent from those not starting.

The only negative hes had has been Peltier having a pop at him, but thats football when youre not part of the new managers plans.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    But he (diplomatically in my opinion) failed to comment on the blonde 'stache. Morrisson took that as a direct snub.

As a manager who didnt get a pre-season with this squad of players its been ideal and it hasnt gone unnoticed how sharp we are looking since the return. We have certainly hit the ground running.

Harris looks like he demands a lot from the lads without being a total disciplinarian. The players seem to have bought into it, no petulance when getting subbed, no murmurings of discontent from those not starting.

The only negative hes had has been Peltier having a pop at him, but that's football when your not part of the new managers plans.
    But don't you think the removal of Pelts,Flint, Pack and Etheridge has provided a quicker approach to moving the ball from the back ?

But don't you think the removal of Pelts,Flint, Pack and Etheridge has provided a quicker approach to moving the ball from the back ?
    And which manager made that decision?