Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
In many ways you are lucky because you know the property well. However, you do need a proper survey and valuation to secure a mortgage, to ensure the house is sound, and that you are not overpaying.

Both of you will save on agents fees, so that's good. Can he sell the house should you decide not to buy it? ie what tenants rights do you have. It may be more difficult to sell to someone else with you in situ.

So, I would invest in a survey, check that you can secure a mortgage, then make him an offer based on market conditions and market value. Personally I'd go less and be willing to move up as you'll always need some headroom to negotiate

If you can't agree then start looking around to buy elsewhere, as in time he's going to ask you to move out.
As you will still need a proper valuation or mortgage survey I wouldn’t worry, this will give him the true value and he might be very happy to take your offer. If he definitely needs to sell he might find it hard as there might be plenty of other people forced to sell post Covid so could be a buyers market with many desperate to sell. Play it cool, don’t make out you are super keen and you might even look elsewhere....