+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glastonbury

Glastonbury

Watching the highlight show on BBC2 and loving it.
    Any of you lot been?

I've been once, 1990 and loved every minute of it. Happy Mondays who were my favourite band at the time were rubbish. But the whole experience was brilliant. Didn't buy a ticket, but jumped the fence.

Didn't even have a tent, but luckily bumped into a few lads from Brynmawr who let us crash in theirs.
    Couldn't believe how big the site was.
    Would I go again? I'm not sure. Would you?

Re: Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Any of you lot been?

I've been once, 1990 and loved every minute of it. Happy Mondays who were my favourite band at the time were rubbish. But the whole experience was brilliant. Didn't buy a ticket, but jumped the fence.

Didn't even have a tent, but luckily bumped into a few lads from Brynmawr who let us crash in theirs.
    1986 , 1992

First time took majic mushrooms and spent the weekend laughing my head off

1992 concentrated on the bands , Lou reed , fishbone , the fall , blue aeroplanes

Also had several trips to the communal unisex showers which were cold but an experience

Would never go now , all those flags waving whilst you are trying to watch a band ff sake

Saw Arthur Lee and Love from a 2003 set. It was absolutely wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    1986 , 1992

First time took majic mushrooms and spent the weekend laughing my head off

1992 concentrated on the bands , Lou reed , fishbone , the fall , blue aeroplanes

Also had several trips to the communal unisex showers which were cold but an experience

Would never go now , all those flags waving whilst you are trying to watch a band ff sake
    I took my first acid at Glastonbury. I was with a bunch of lads who were a few years older than me. What they failed to tell me was the acid they'd scored was the strongest at the festival that year (either blue stars or yellow stars) and they originated from Blackwood. I've taken a few acid since then, but nothing compared (Sinead O'Connor was there also) to those stars!
    I was hallucinating for hours, but loved every minute of it.

I took my first acid at Glastonbury. I was with a bunch of lads who were a few years older than me. What they failed to tell me was the acid they'd scored was the strongest at the festival that year (either blue stars or yellow stars) and they originated from Blackwood. I've taken a few acid since then, but nothing compared (Sinead O'Connor was there also) to those stars!
    I was hallucinating for hours, but loved every minute of it.
    I have never done acid , always went for the natural approach

But those days are gone , as are my trips to festivals

I have never done acid , always went for the natural approach

But those days are gone , as are my trips to festivals
    I've never been one for acid or shrooms, but I've had a dabble and enjoyed myself on the few occasions. Those stars at Glastonbury were on another level. I remember watching The Cure and thought I was flying above the stage

never done Glasto, i did Reading for a good few years back to back

i regret not doing glasto though, past 2 years ive tried to get tickets, sure its not going to be the same as it would have beem when i was in my 20's, but i can now take the splitty and camp in style

i had hopes to go to camper calling this year, though we were flying in from the Miami the day before, plan was to get home, jump in the van and go, its all be postponed though, Manics have said they will play it next year, so might do it next year, it has a few older decent bands and might be a good 1st festival for my girls

I am also going to go to a festival where feeder are playing next year feeders greatest hits have been my soundtrack of lockdown

Been the last two years and would recommend it to anyone.

Stay in the Travelodge down the road if your body can't take the tent though.

Been twice, 2008 and 2014. Got to be done at least once in your life if you're into music and festivals. Drugs not mandatory but I had a whale of a time at both on them

Any of you lot been?

Once 1992.

Got talked into it on the Friday afternoon after one too many bottles of Michelob.

I went equipped with a bag of illegal substances and dough.

Crawled the fence (I was ****ed on acid), got into a row with a Wurzel (I was ****ed on E, so much for the love drug eh), had a liaison with some girl from Bristol, which caused the row with he Wurzel (perhaps there is something in E after all), wandered about aimlessly for two days, shit in a field, ruined a yellow Jacket and a pair of Adidas Montreal, came home on the Monday and received an absolute ****ing from my then employers (I was still ****ed when I went in on Tuesday).

Would I do it again?

I would love too but I think the wife wouldn’t be too pleased with the liaison.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Once 1992.

Got talked into it on the Friday afternoon after one too many bottles of Michelob.

I went equipped with a bag of illegal substances and dough.

Crawled the fence (I was ****ed on acid), got into a row with a Wurzel (I was ****ed on E, so much for the love drug eh), had a liaison with some girl from Bristol, which caused the row with he Wurzel (perhaps there is something in E after all), wandered about aimlessly for two days, shit in a field, ruined a yellow Jacket and a pair of Adidas Montreal, came home on the Monday and received an absolute ****ing from my then employers (I was still ****ed when I went in on Tuesday).

Would I do it again?

I would love too but I think the wife wouldn’t be too pleased with the liaison.
    1992 was a great year for bands

Sadly you clearly wandered around off your cake causing trouble

It's time to grow up

1992 was a great year for bands

Sadly you clearly wandered around off your cake causing trouble

It's time to grow up

Never do it again. I was distraught about the daps for at least a week.

Everything else mind...

Think I missed Primal Scream?

Never do it again. I was distraught about the daps for at least a week.

Everything else mind...

Think I missed Primal Scream?
    It was great

A rites of passage

But a young mans game

I would like to meet the hippy lady reading tarot cards again though , the readings were complete bollocks but she was gorgeous and I would love to get back inside her tent

It was great

A rites of passage

But a young mans game

I would like to meet the hippy lady reading tarot cards again though , the readings were complete bollocks but she was gorgeous and I would love to get back inside her tent
    I was 21.

Couldn’t do it now. Think the Friday afternoon I had before entering the hired transit van would finish me now

Never been attracted to big festivals although I’ve done loads of outdooor events. Too busy, too much going on for me.

In defence of my behaviour at that time, it was the norm.

I was 21.

Couldn’t do it now. Think the Friday afternoon I had before entering the hired transit van would finish me now

Never been attracted to big festivals although I’ve done loads of outdooor events. Too busy, too much going on for me.

In defence of my behaviour at that time, it was the norm.
    Been to a few metal festivals but like glastonbury it's long 3 days

Saw sabbath, original line up , at milton Keynes bowl in 1998 supported by TOOL , a fantastic gig , sabbath were all off their heads but on top form

But the day started at midday with various support acts and by the time sabbath came on I was glad , I was knackered

Thank god it was a hot summer day though , cant stand getting soaked watching a band or indeed watching ccfc

Never went to Glasto. Festivals are not really my thing. I've been to a few though. My favorite is Primavera. There's no camping and the hotel is right a across the street. You can basically chill in an air-conditioned room and then pick and choose who you want to see. I think I saw Devo, Public Enemy and Massive Attack there.

My old man went to the first Glastonbury when it was called the Pilton Fesival in 1970. He claims to have washed his hair in the rain. He also claims that he booked Pink Floyd at Barry Memorial hall and Slade and Back Sabbath at the Paget Rooms in Penarth. He also claims to have auditioned to sing for the Swinging Blue Jeans. I'm not sure about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Saw Arthur Lee and Love from a 2003 set. It was absolutely wonderful.
    That was one of my highlights too, that guy was a legend, good mates with Hendrix back in the day. Saw him a few times touring back then. beautiful sunny eve that was. Did 4 of them in the 00’s....Loads of mates there and a crew from Cardiff running part of one field. Lost vagueness.....I’m not sure of some of the stuff that went in there and bands I saw live are still coming back to me now watching the highlights, like Jimmy Cliff in his yellow suit, totally forgot I’d seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    never done Glasto, i did Reading for a good few years back to back

i regret not doing glasto though, past 2 years ive tried to get tickets, sure its not going to be the same as it would have beem when i was in my 20's, but i can now take the splitty and camp in style

i had hopes to go to camper calling this year, though we were flying in from the Miami the day before, plan was to get home, jump in the van and go, its all be postponed though, Manics have said they will play it next year, so might do it next year, it has a few older decent bands and might be a good 1st festival for my girls

I am also going to go to a festival where feeder are playing next year feeders greatest hits have been my soundtrack of lockdown
    Surprised you never did it Matt, it was like a week long rave....used to go up on the Monday pm and leave the following one. My body couldn’t take that sort of abuse anymore. I’m just glad I survived some of the ridiculous stuff that went on. One year a normal looking dude with his misses camped right next to about 50 of us, he basically supplied us with E’s the whole time, god knows how many he had on him....Some nights no sleep at all up in the stone circle, random gigs at 4am in a tent in a field I’m not sure where it was even (massive attack and toots and Maytals), pear cider at the world music stage saw a young Amy winehouse there, so many DJs in the glade which was our general base during the week there. Finding my car after 7 days of fear and loathing was a mission, in 2002 I gave up trying to find it....

I've never been although it's in my neck of the woods. Howewever, now I have my day van with a bed in it I may give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That was one of my highlights too, that guy was a legend, good mates with Hendrix back in the day. Saw him a few times touring back then. beautiful sunny eve that was. Did 4 of them in the 00’s....Loads of mates there and a crew from Cardiff running part of one field. Lost vagueness.....I’m not sure of some of the stuff that went in there and bands I saw live are still coming back to me now watching the highlights, like Jimmy Cliff in his yellow suit, totally forgot I’d seen him.
    Brilliant that you saw him live. I only saw the set on tv on Friday night. I didn’t even know he had done Glasto. He was dreadfully unlucky in life. He should have been a huge star. Forever Changes is pretty much my favourite album. It’s now regarded as a classic but frankly it’s a bit late.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Brilliant that you saw him live. I only saw the set on tv on Friday night. I didn’t even know he had done Glasto. He was dreadfully unlucky in life. He should have been a huge star. Forever Changes is pretty much my favourite album. It’s now regarded as a classic but frankly it’s a bit late.
    He did live a crazy life. Can’t believe he spent so much of it in Jail, 3 strikes rule I believe....unreal. Then he gets out and starts touring and gets diagnosed with Cancer, died soon after. Gutted. I’ll never forget that sunny afternoon watching him there. The Theckla gig in Bristol he did before Glastonbury was probably even better mind as I was stood right in front of him the whole gig. My ex misses best mate gave me forever changes on original vinyl around this time....timeless....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He did live a crazy life. Can’t believe he spent so much of it in Jail, 3 strikes rule I believe....unreal. Then he gets out and starts touring and gets diagnosed with Cancer, died soon after. Gutted. I’ll never forget that sunny afternoon watching him there. The Theckla gig in Bristol he did before Glastonbury was probably even better mind as I was stood right in front of him the whole gig. My ex misses best mate gave me forever changes on original vinyl around this time....timeless....
    When he did the five year stint in prison it was for an offence somebody else eventually admitted to.
    Now the annoying thing is I bought Forever Changes 40 years ago as a school friend had asked me to listen to his copy and I loved it but whilst I still have the album cover I cannot find the vinyl itself. As you say it’s timeless.

My first Glastonbury was 85 - drove straight in and parked near the main stage. headlining was Ian Dury & Blockheads, he certainly hit us with a rhythm stick although the thai grass played it's part. My next visit was 95 Glastonbury was changing full of essex boys the hells angels were gone, I can't remember who was headlining but I remember seeing Oasis and Orbital, **** me there was some potent acid going around that year.

The last time was 2011 my first time sober I was asked to DJ and for once I took a tent and was in the fields with showers. I seen BB King before he passed on, Beyonce was headlining but the highlight for me was seeing Jimmy Cliff on the small stage....Glastonbury as got to big and 2011 was just full of the hunter wellington boot brigade which thinking back the hells angels and bad boys of 85 would have loved it would have been an easy weekends work.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    My old man went to the first Glastonbury when it was called the Pilton Fesival in 1970. He claims to have washed his hair in the rain. He also claims that he booked Pink Floyd at Barry Memorial hall and Slade and Back Sabbath at the Paget Rooms in Penarth. He also claims to have auditioned to sing for the Swinging Blue Jeans. I'm not sure about that one.
    Pink Floyd did indeed do Barry Memorial Hall, about 1970 I think. Bands like Slade, Sweet and others did the local college circuit too., We even had T.Rex at our school dance, booked before they had any hits and were committed to the gig. I also saw Pink Floyd at the Top Rank in Cardiff. And I went to Isle of Wight 1970 when i was 15. Never been to Glastonbury though and at 65 (today) I don't fancy it either.