+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was that really Cardiff City knocking the ball around at Deepdale?

Was that really Cardiff City knocking the ball around at Deepdale?

Re: Was that really Cardiff City knocking the ball around at Deepdale?

Good read Bob thank you.

It was so good to see us actually passing the ball. Bacuna has got more to him than I thought, and while I'll always be grateful to Warnock for saving us from a relegation battle and then a subsequent promotion, why on earth didn't he play Vaulks?

Interesting to hear yesterday too the our substitutes have scored more goals than any other side in the division.

Apart from our general all round solid performance, what struck me more than anything yesterday was how often Sanderson gave the ball away (especially in the first half) and Smithies poor distribution. Is Sanderson really that good (yes I know he crossed for a goal) and is Smithies that much better than Etheridge in distributing the ball? On the plus side, Tomlin really made a difference and Glatzel really looked as though we have a new striker on our hands.

I think Sanderson looks a little bigger than before and being a youngster my not have worked as hard during lockdown.I did shout at the tele when he was crossing and remember saying thats better to myself as he crossed for the Ralls goal.His match legs should return soon.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I'd say Joe Bennett was, if anything, more guilty of poor passing than Sanderson, but could it be that we noticed their off beam passes more because the general standard from the team was better than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Good read Bob thank you.

It was so good to see us actually passing the ball. Bacuna has got more to him than I thought, and while I'll always be grateful to Warnock for saving us from a relegation battle and then a subsequent promotion, why on earth didn't he play Vaulks?

Interesting to hear yesterday too the our substitutes have scored more goals than any other side in the division.

I was really pleased with Bacuna's display yesterday. He broke up play well and a lot of our best stuff came through him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Apart from our general all round solid performance, what struck me more than anything yesterday was how often Sanderson gave the ball away (especially in the first half) and Smithies poor distribution. Is Sanderson really that good (yes I know he crossed for a goal) and is Smithies that much better than Etheridge in distributing the ball? On the plus side, Tomlin really made a difference and Glatzel really looked as though we have a new striker on our hands.
    Neil got so many belters for glatzel, be so ironic if he comes really good....if only the enigma that is Murphy would also

I've thought this about Sanderson from day one but figured I must be missing something because a) no one else agrees and b) Harris clearly doesn't because he's got rid of every other RB

He gives the ball away a fair bit, has got a mistake in him every game and almost gave a goal away yesterday when he fell over in the box.

And before I get piled on, yes I know he's young and learning, I'm not going to get in touch with him personally and tell him. There's definitely a good player in there and I do like him but I don't think he's as good right now as some people do

Thanks for that Bob. Always a good read. Interesting comments about our use of subs. I think that I have heard them referred to in Rugby commentary as " Here come the finishers" and perhaps that describes what you are now suggesting. It has certainly worked in the last two games.

I also noticed that Glatzel seemed to be more up to chasing down defenders when not in possession. Will be good if he continues to progress with his all round game as he does seem to have found where the net is.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    Thanks for that Bob. Always a good read. Interesting comments about our use of subs. I think that I have heard them referred to in Rugby commentary as " Here come the finishers" and perhaps that describes what you are now suggesting. It has certainly worked in the last two games.

I also noticed that Glatzel seemed to be more up to chasing down defenders when not in possession. Will be good if he continues to progress with his all round game as he does seem to have found where the net is.
    I was thinking about rugby in particular when I mentioned other sports and your use of the word finishers pinpoints the mindset I took about two hundred more words explaining!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I've thought this about Sanderson from day one but figured I must be missing something because a) no one else agrees and b) Harris clearly doesn't because he's got rid of every other RB

He gives the ball away a fair bit, has got a mistake in him every game and almost gave a goal away yesterday when he fell over in the box.

And before I get piled on, yes I know he's young and learning, I'm not going to get in touch with him personally and tell him. There's definitely a good player in there and I do like him but I don't think he's as good right now as some people do
    I believe Wolves think Sanderson will end being a centre back.

I agree about him having a mistake in him every game, but I would'nt blame him too much for his slip late on - that was more down to the conditions.

Cardiff manager win % ��

Dave Jones - 42%
    Malky Mackay - 43%
    Solskjaer - 30%
    Russell Slade - 39%
    Paul Trollope - 16%
    Neil Warnock - 43%
    Neil Harris - 46%

Had the season started when Neil Harris took charge, Cardiff would currently be in the Championship top two. Only Leeds (43) have collected more points than Cardiff’s 39

Harris has won me round, definitely.

Exactly this. Mendez-Laing looks fresh too.

Re: your other points, IMO Smithies has earned his place and was excellent against Leeds.
    Sanderson offers more than Peltier did and looks to get forward.

If we can steer clear of injuries we should make the playoffs, after that it is who keeps their nerve and plays well on the day.

Thanks Bob for the report, decent read

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree about him having a mistake in him every game, but I would'nt blame him too much for his slip late on - that was more down to the conditions.
    They weren't that bad

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Neil got so many belters for glatzel, be so ironic if he comes really good....if only the enigma that is Murphy would also
    I don't agree. He got belters because he played him wrong, he basically bought another player he didn't know how to use correctly.

He looks better now because he's not having air balls lumped up to him.

If he comes good it won't be because Warnock saw the potential (he was never potentially going to be 8 foot tall winning headers from aimless balls pumped up the pitch) it will be because the manager is using him in a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Cardiff manager win % ��

Dave Jones - 42%
    Malky Mackay - 43%
    Solskjaer - 30%
    Russell Slade - 39%
    Paul Trollope - 16%
    Neil Warnock - 43%
    Neil Harris - 46%

Had the season started when Neil Harris took charge, Cardiff would currently be in the Championship top two. Only Leeds (43) have collected more points than Cardiff’s 39
    Crikey. That's a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I don't agree. He got belters because he played him wrong, he basically bought another player he didn't know how to use correctly.

He looks better now because he's not having air balls lumped up to him.

If he comes good it won't be because Warnock saw the potential (he was never potentially going to be 8 foot tall winning headers from aimless balls pumped up the pitch) it will be because the manager is using him in a better way.
    Glatzel's 6ft 4. To be a complete striker for me he's got to get better in the air, got to use his size.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Harris has won me round, definitely.
    If the last 2 games are how we are going to play moving forward, me too. Few little tweaks though, the passing will improve as they become more comfortable with so much possession, we just need a cutting edge up top and we're a little slow in the final third imo.

Glatzel's 6ft 4. To be a complete striker for me he's got to get better in the air, got to use his size.
    He's been better with holding the ball up last 2 games, because we aren't pumping hopeful balls forward.

I was taking the piss out of Warnock with the reference to his size, nobody was handling some of the balls glatzel was having thrown at him under Warnock lol.

If the last 2 games are how we are going to play moving forward, me too. Few little tweaks though, the passing will improve as they become more comfortable with so much possession, we just need a cutting edge up top and we're a little slow in the final third imo.
    It was always going to be an evolution rather than revolution.

He's been better with holding the ball up last 2 games, because we aren't pumping hopeful balls forward.

I was taking the piss out of Warnock with the reference to his size, nobody was handling some of the balls glatzel was having thrown at him under Warnock lol.
    Agreed, he's got a good touch, holds ball well on the floor. I still think he needs to have that ability to play as a 6ft 4 guy should if that makes any sense, to be able to mix the style up as and when needed. His size, should be a real handful for defenders in a physical battle too.

Agreed, he's got a good touch, holds ball well on the floor. I still think he needs to have that ability to play as a 6ft 4 guy should if that makes any sense, to be able to mix the style up as and when needed. His size, should be a real handful for defenders in a physical battle too.
    I know what you mean. I've got a mate who's 6ft5 and it was a running joke for a while that he was useless in the air playing amateur league. He's not a soft lad either but didn't seem to know how to "put himself about" on the pitch and use his size.

I mentioned on another thread that the new five sub rule is benefitting us tremendously, previously Glatzel would be on the bench not knowing if he was going to play a part or not, frustrating for a striker who’s desperately trying to impress and awful for his morale. Now he knows the extra subs situation means he’s nigh on certain to get the call at some time instead of warming up on the touchline to no avail. Must deflate players so much, training all week, travelling to the game only to run up and down the touchline and eventually sit down when the quota has been used, I know there’s still some not used but 16 getting a game must make for a happier camp.