+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone on here done a low carb diet?

Re: Anyone on here done a low carb diet?

I am not taking the piss here because I am carrying a bit of timber

But how did Kirk Douglas, Charlton Heston and the rest get such good physiques in the past ?

I would assume by running , swimming , doing sit ups , press ups , basic weights etc

And by eating fresh fruit , vegetables , chicken , fish etc

Surely it's as simple as that , plus your genetics ?

Not only do all this diets seem complicated , they would drive me potty implementing them into daily life

I have all bran with a banana and blueberries for breakfast

A light lunch of ryvita , cottage cheese and tomato

And something like chicken or beef stew , including potatoes , carrots , swede and parsnips in the evening

Exercise is a bit of walking and press ups , squats and dumbells

What did the fitness freaks do when we didnt have all these gym machines , protein shakes and carb free diets ?

I saw a newsreel of vera Lynn with some soldiers at the end of the second world war , these guys were ripped !

Some of the original body builders ......which isnt my thing .....from the early seventies ......big blokes !

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am not taking the piss here because I am carrying a bit of timber

But how did Kirk Douglas, Charlton Heston and the rest get such good physiques in the past ?

I would assume by running , swimming , doing sit ups , press ups , basic weights etc

And by eating fresh fruit , vegetables , chicken , fish etc

Surely it's as simple as that , plus your genetics ?

Not only do all this diets seem complicated , they would drive me potty implementing them into daily life

I have all bran with a banana and blueberries for breakfast

A light lunch of ryvita , cottage cheese and tomato

And something like chicken or beef stew , including potatoes , carrots , swede and parsnips in the evening

Exercise is a bit of walking and press ups , squats and dumbells

What did the fitness freaks do when we didnt have all these gym machines , protein shakes and carb free diets ?

I saw a newsreel of vera Lynn with some soldiers at the end of the second world war , these guys were ripped !

Some of the original body builders ......which isnt my thing .....from the early seventies ......big blokes !
    Simple answer, sludge. People's diet was a lot more healthy years ago, there wasn't all of this processed, fast food shite that we feast on these days, people had to buy fresh and prepare their meals. That's why weight issues have hit us over the past 30 years, crap food wasn't so readily available, there were hardly any take aways and they shut at a decent time. Booze was bought from the off license and the pub, none of this 24 cans for £12 nonsense.

In all, it was much more difficult to become overweight. Life was mute physical as well, for men women and kids who actually went out and played, got dirty and used their imagination. Parents didn't have the option of paying for their kids to play in an organised environment.

If it was difficult to get fat, then it was probably easier to stay in shape. When I was a kid everyone's mum was really slim, dad's didn't piss it up at home and we couldn't press a button on a phone in order to receive a KFC on a Monday at 10pm and people moved about more. I know people who think that walking to the local shops is exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Simple answer, sludge. People's diet was a lot more healthy years ago, there wasn't all of this processed, fast food shite that we feast on these days, people had to buy fresh and prepare their meals. That's why weight issues have hit us over the past 30 years, crap food wasn't so readily available, there were hardly any take aways and they shut at a decent time. Booze was bought from the off license and the pub, none of this 24 cans for £12 nonsense.

In all, it was much more difficult to become overweight. Life was mute physical as well, for men women and kids who actually went out and played, got dirty and used their imagination. Parents didn't have the option of paying for their kids to play in an organised environment.

If it was difficult to get fat, then it was probably easier to stay in shape. When I was a kid everyone's mum was really slim, dad's didn't piss it up at home and we couldn't press a button on a phone in order to receive a KFC on a Monday at 10pm and people moved about more. I know people who think that walking to the local shops is exercise.
    I think genetics play a big part

I am a big chap and fairly strong but have no veins on my forearms , nothing ...when I go for a blood test they have to dig for ages

I have other mates who do no exercise , never and have more veins than Arnie

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Yes, your calculation is right. 2 is your "net carbs" and that is the figure you want to manage. Basically fibre is carbohydrate that you cannot metabolise, so it doesn't count. So yes if a food has 12g of total carbs of which 10g is fibre, then your net carbs are 2g. Fibre is important to the diet actually, as a lot of the roughage in a standard diet comes with the carbs, finding high fibre low carb foods is key.

However - a lot of the guidance on calculating net carbs that you will find on the internet is US-based and is not applicable in the UK. In the US, standard nutrition information shows total carbs (12g), and the 10g of fibre separately. So to get to net carbs in the US you would have to do the calculation you show above. But in the UK, the carbohydrate figure shown in nutritional info is already net of fibre. Fibre is stated separately on the label in the UK, but it has already been deducted from the carbohydrate figure. So in your example, the 12g wouldn't appear anywhere on the label here. It would just show 2g of carbs and separately, 10g of fibre. This does cause a lot of confusion in the UK, as people here follow US guidance and in your example would mentally deduct the 10g of fibre from the 2g of carbs and decide they have -8g of net carbs. That is of course impossible. So for Keto - just follow the carbs figure shown on the label, and track fibre separately to try to get enough. Chia seeds and similar things do help with the fibre.
    I'm doing keto but not enjoying it as I don't feel like I can have a single day off.

The food is very repetitive and I have stopped losing weight after about 4 weeks in (for the last 3 weeks) but I have not tracked anything on Myfitnesspal for a while - perhaps I'm going over certain macros

And my word - I'm lucky I'm working from home because i'm in the toilet constant due to the water and the high amounts of fat

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I'm doing keto but not enjoying it as I don't feel like I can have a single day off.

The food is very repetitive and I have stopped losing weight after about 4 weeks in (for the last 3 weeks) but I have not tracked anything on Myfitnesspal for a while - perhaps I'm going over certain macros

And my word - I'm lucky I'm working from home because i'm in the toilet constant due to the water and the high amounts of fat
    Sorry to hear that. I agree - for the first 6 weeks or so you have to stick to it pretty rigidly until your body adapts. After that you can be a bit more flexible I think. I take a weekend off every month, but only because I feel I should.

I am sure it can be repetitive. If I have no rocket or spinach in the house, lunch time can be a challenge! But honestly, I've managed to adapt most of the meals I made anyway to fit. Ald sell a range of almost-zero carb pasta substitutes for example, and they are excellent. Rice is replaced with cauliflower rice (which I prefer anyway); wraps replaced with lettuce. Breakfast is where I could use some variation. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I am bored of bacon and eggs. I have that, chia seed pudding, or a bulletproof coffee, and sometimes mackerel. But lunches and evening meals are pretty easy to adapt, I find. I guess it depends on what your "normal" diet was.

As regards not losing weight: that will simply be calories. That is the only factor. So yeah you need to count them on any weight loss diet really - at least until you get the feel for what 1800 a day (or whatever) feels like.

As regards the toilet - are you taking MCT oil or lots of coconut oil? They can certainly have an effect! I dropped MCT, i couldn't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I agree - for the first 6 weeks or so you have to stick to it pretty rigidly until your body adapts. After that you can be a bit more flexible I think. I take a weekend off every month, but only because I feel I should.

I am sure it can be repetitive. If I have no rocket or spinach in the house, lunch time can be a challenge! But honestly, I've managed to adapt most of the meals I made anyway to fit. Ald sell a range of almost-zero carb pasta substitutes for example, and they are excellent. Rice is replaced with cauliflower rice (which I prefer anyway); wraps replaced with lettuce. Breakfast is where I could use some variation. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I am bored of bacon and eggs. I have that, chia seed pudding, or a bulletproof coffee, and sometimes mackerel. But lunches and evening meals are pretty easy to adapt, I find. I guess it depends on what your "normal" diet was.

As regards not losing weight: that will simply be calories. That is the only factor. So yeah you need to count them on any weight loss diet really - at least until you get the feel for what 1800 a day (or whatever) feels like.

As regards the toilet - are you taking MCT oil or lots of coconut oil? They can certainly have an effect! I dropped MCT, i couldn't handle it.
    What are these pasta substitutes in Aldi Nick?

Low carb diets are not a great idea when your exercising in particular.

The carbs fuel your body.

13 pounds is a lot of weight if you were not very overweight in the first place.

That amount of weight is likely to include muscle loss with your diet and exercise routine and thats not good.

If you want to lose weight its simple really just have a calorie deficit each day.

I've been keto and on-and-off sober for the last three years. Full keto and sober sees amazing results. But eventually you get sick of your drunk, idiot friends talking and talking and talking and you want and a beer and a slice. I do what I call "kinda keto" these days. It's summer, if I want a hot dog, I'll have one. I drink in moderation. I'll probably quit drinking and go full keto in September. I have to say, the amount of food you don't need when you're on a keto diet is astounding. When I'm at work, I often don't have time go out for lunch and if I haven't prepared my own, I'll order an omelet from a diner which comes with toast and home fries. All I eat is the omelet and I find myelf completely satisfied. I blows my mind that previously I would have eaten everything. It's hard to get enough fat in your diet and I end up eating a ton of butter, eggs, cream cheese, steak and bacon. But I go to the doctor regularly and all my numbers are good. I have friends that are seriously into it and they have managed to make keto chcoclate cakes, pizza, and scones. I don't have that much time. But still, the possibilities are endless.

Yup, i always thought that i was quite a sensible eater, but when i sat down and worked it out, it wasn't pretty. Way to much shit, stuff that i didn't really count. I've also realised that i don't need 'all of that food on my plate' sometimes eating for the sake of it. I like a Latte in the morning before work, sometimes in the afternoon as well-holy shit, i worked out how many i was having a month and it was ridiculous, knocked them on the head and saved a right few quid with it.
    A few years back I stopped drinking tea and coffee as I was drinking it for the sake of it, especially in work, substituting it with water.
    I can't remember how much weight I lost but I looked and felt so much more healthy.

Started having the odd flat white in Starbucks as a treat and sadly liked it too much and am back on the stuff big time.
    (I sound like a crack head )

Anyway, it is good to review your eating and drinking habits from time to time but as Sludge says, the secret is not to over indulge. Everything in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A few years back I stopped drinking tea and coffee as I was drinking it for the sake of it, especially in work, substituting it with water.
    I can't remember how much weight I lost but I looked and felt so much more healthy.

Started having the odd flat white in Starbucks as a treat and sadly liked it too much and am back on the stuff big time.
    (I sound like a crack head )

Anyway, it is good to review your eating and drinking habits from time to time but as Sludge says, the secret is not to over indulge. Everything in moderation.
    Yup, all about balance, something i struggle with. I can't do things by halves, it's either all or nothing, which isn't healthy at times. I'm lucky that i don't drink, because i reckon that if i did then i'd be caning it, i get a taste for things very quickly, good and bad. As for the Coffee, what a nightmare, i've been on black tea (which isn't that bad) i can't do black coffee, a large latte used to be breakfast, and the one in the afternoon was the reward for all of my hard work There's loads of sugar in the buggers and they cost a fortune, so it's a good thing really. Oddly enough, i can have cream with my coffee but not milk.

What are these pasta substitutes in Aldi Nick?
    Black bean, soy bean, edamame bean pasta. Black bean in particular is great. I like pasta and I do (did) make my own. The black bean one doesnt taste the same but i really like the texture and its less than 2g carbs per 100g. They arent always available, but when they are i stock up.

The more expensive diet pastas made from konjac flour are crap. The aldi ones are much better.