+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on here done a low carb diet?

Anyone on here done a low carb diet?

I'm talking very low, around the 30 gram a day mark? I've been doing it for a month with exercise (which can be difficult without the carb to feed from) and i've lost 13 lbs. It's a bit of a **** because it involves a fair bit of lean meat and natural fats (fish, nuts, eggs) but it's working. I'm not counting the fats and the protein, just judging it. The carbs and fibre i am counting, it's sort of Keto but a bit more relaxed as i'm not going down the route of pretending to substitute food-Broccoli is broccoli! Anyone else tried this?

Re: Anyone on here done a low carb diet?

I'm using MyFitnessPal to track what I eat, I can't speak highly enough of it. It's free and allows you to calorie count effectively and reliably. I've not cut out carbs or anything like that and I'm down about 8kg in month and a bit. I think it's sustainable too, which is important.

Well done on losing the weight you have, hope you keep it off and lose more too!

13 pounds in a month , nearly a stone, is a pretty rapid weight loss

The dieticians suggest a weight loss of a pound a week , ie four pounds a month

Keep that up and you will be a skeleton !

Why not try the diet without exercise for a couple of months ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'm using MyFitnessPal to track what I eat, I can't speak highly enough of it. It's free and allows you to calorie count effectively and reliably. I've not cut out carbs or anything like that and I'm down about 8kg in month and a bit. I think it's sustainable too, which is important.

Well done on losing the weight you have, hope you keep it off and lose more too!
    8kg in a month? Wow-that's fantastic, i'll have a look at your system.

Interesting fact

The vast majority of people who go on a calorie controlled diet like weight watchers or slimming world make big weight loss to start with but end up piling on the pounds again

The key it appears seems to be healthy eating and exercise

No booze , no chips , no takeaways , no sugar in tea etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I've got to have a few runs a week sludge, keeps my head right if you know what i mean. Absolutely hate it when i'm doing it, but the feeling afterwards is fantastic.

Interesting fact

The vast majority of people who go on a calorie controlled diet like weight watchers or slimming world make big weight loss to start with but end up piling on the pounds again

The key it appears seems to be healthy eating and exercise

You've got it. I'm very lucky in that i don't drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You've got it. I'm very lucky in that i don't drink.
    Nor me , horrible stuff

But I love kebabs

8kg in a month? Wow-that's fantastic, i'll have a look at your system.
    Got to say the water weight at the start fell off and it’s got a little harder to shift but I’ve hardly killed myself to do it. Made me realise how calorific some foods are, and conversely how healthy others are.

Got to say the water weight at the start fell off and it’s got a little harder to shift but I’ve hardly killed myself to do it. Made me realise how calorific some foods are, and conversely how healthy others are.
    Yup, i always thought that i was quite a sensible eater, but when i sat down and worked it out, it wasn't pretty. Way to much shit, stuff that i didn't really count. I've also realised that i don't need 'all of that food on my plate' sometimes eating for the sake of it. I like a Latte in the morning before work, sometimes in the afternoon as well-holy shit, i worked out how many i was having a month and it was ridiculous, knocked them on the head and saved a right few quid with it.

Yes I have, but not as drastic as 30g carbs per day - that really is the "super-keto" level! We opted for 100g carbs per day with no extra exercise at all (i.e. practically no exercise other than walking locally) and I lost one and a half stones in 6 months. It was not onerous actually as you get to realise that there are a lot of low or almost zero carb foods and so we concentrated on those. I have never eaten so much eggs and bacon! The intermittent fasting helps too I think i.e. no eating between teatime and mid morning the next day. Weighing foods like rice and potato is very important. Bread is a no-no.

Sadly the lock down however has not helped and I have slipped back into eating bread again which is very carb rich of course.

Fair point.

But bigger people also lose more faster as well (without knowing Tuertos size I'm taking a bit of a stab there)

To answer the OP
    I tried a similar thing but work and covid etc wiped it out before I got going.
    Been taking the dog out 3 times a day and I've increased the walking distance, and I walk a fair bit in work done 17k steps today with one small walk for the dog before work and a nice one just now..got a little one to do later.. I've ordered a smart watch as well just a cheap one to see how I get on/how long/often I use it before going for a better one. Gonna ease into the eating, and similar to you it's just going to mainly be minimising carbs.

Do plan on a few runs a week as well, but need to work up from zero on that!!!

Yup, i always thought that i was quite a sensible eater, but when i sat down and worked it out, it wasn't pretty. Way to much shit, stuff that i didn't really count. I've also realised that i don't need 'all of that food on my plate' sometimes eating for the sake of it. I like a Latte in the morning before work, sometimes in the afternoon as well-holy shit, i worked out how many i was having a month and it was ridiculous, knocked them on the head and saved a right few quid with it.
    Exactly that, the best thing the app has taught me is the thing I thought wasn't that bad, is horrendous and in fact some of the foods I thought I should steer clear of are OK. Fish instead of meat has made a major difference as well and I love fish as a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Fair point.

But bigger people also lose more faster as well (without knowing Tuertos size I'm taking a bit of a stab there)
    You'll have about quite a bit of water weight, which you obviously need to lose but it isn't fat hence the speed of the initial loss.

I'm talking very low, around the 30 gram a day mark? I've been doing it for a month with exercise (which can be difficult without the carb to feed from) and i've lost 13 lbs. It's a bit of a **** because it involves a fair bit of lean meat and natural fats (fish, nuts, eggs) but it's working. I'm not counting the fats and the protein, just judging it. The carbs and fibre i am counting, it's sort of Keto but a bit more relaxed as i'm not going down the route of pretending to substitute food-Broccoli is broccoli! Anyone else tried this?
    no, but it impressive 13 pounds is not the be ignored , guess keeping it up is the task ahead as the weight drop off does slow

Exactly that, the best thing the app has taught me is the thing I thought wasn't that bad, is horrendous and in fact some of the foods I thought I should steer clear of are OK. Fish instead of meat has made a major difference as well and I love fish as a bonus!
    Love eating fish, i'm lucky in that my mother made me eat whatever was put in front of me, so i'm open to almost anything! The amount of garbage i put away was ridiculous.

I hit 10 pounds in 10 days on a no carb diet.

The first mass of weight is water retention

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Fair point.

To answer the OP
    I tried a similar thing but work and covid etc wiped it out before I got going.
    Been taking the dog out 3 times a day and I've increased the walking distance, and I walk a fair bit in work done 17k steps today with one small walk for the dog before work and a nice one just now..got a little one to do later.. I've ordered a smart watch as well just a cheap one to see how I get on/how long/often I use it before going for a better one. Gonna ease into the eating, and similar to you it's just going to mainly be minimising carbs.

Do plan on a few runs a week as well, but need to work up from zero on that!!!
    I was 12 st 3 when i started, probably doesn't sound much, although i'm not a big bloke. I'm 5ft 7 and i should be around the 10st 12-11st range where i feel a lot better. My stomach was expanding at a rate and if i didn't sort it, then it would've only got worse.

No fun

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I hit 10 pounds in 10 days on a no carb diet.

The first mass of weight is water retention
    Yup, it melts off initially.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    no, but it impressive 13 pounds is not the be ignored , guess keeping it up is the task ahead as the weight drop off does slow
    My plan is to get my weight to a decent level then control it through exercise and watching what i eat-that's the plan. Hartley will be along in a minute accusing me of turning this messageboard in to mumsnet

Lost about 10lbs doing 2 weeks of under 20g of carbs.
    Come off it this weekend and going to a 1500 calorie per day diet.
    Hoping to lose another 2lbs per week through the summer.

Started off at 229lbs, hoping to get down to 200.

You'll have about quite a bit of water weight, which you obviously need to lose but it isn't fat hence the speed of the initial loss.
    Appreciate the clarification.

I was 12 st 3 when i started, probably doesn't sound much, although i'm not a big bloke. I'm 5ft 7 and i should be around the 10st 12-11st range where i feel a lot better. My stomach was expanding at a rate and if i didn't sort it, then it would've only got worse.
    I'm the same, I'm not overweight and I know if I cut out sugar and reduce carbs I can lose a decent amount. Last time I weighed I was 14st 8 I think (last before that I was exactly a stone less) so I've crept on a stone and I'd estimate I'm a little heavier than 14st 8 now and I'm 6ft so there's definitely weight to be lost! I know I'd struggle to run much more than a mile right now so I'm scarily unfit as well but I've got the attitude now of wanting to turn it around. I'm not even 35 yet 😂

My plan is to get my weight to a decent level then control it through exercise and watching what i eat-that's the plan. Hartley will be along in a minute accusing me of turning this messageboard in to mumsnet
    I did slimming world in 2015. Lost a stone a month for 3 months, then another 3 stone over the next 6 months.

I followed the principle of the plan. But lowered the carbs down even though I was allowed more.

Tended to eat meat and veg for dinner replacing spuds with baked peppers and courgettes. Ate a lot of salmon, chicken breasts, steaks, chilli's but with veg almost all the time rather than rice or other carbs. Also counted my treats and stuck within a weekly allowance.

I did have a curry once a week but a lamb rogan josh as it's less fat and with boiled rice. had whisky with pepsi max to drink rather than beer but did have a few pints on the weekends.

snacked on ham, crab sticks and melon.

Since I stopped trying I've gradually put most of it back on. Having to give up playing football didn't help. So now I am trying to walk more and have set up the exercise bike. But the lure of comfort food and a few tins is too strong.

I'm in a real quandry at the moment on how best to enjoy best of all worlds.