+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bristol City match. A derby match, but not as we knew it.

The Bristol City match. A derby match, but not as we knew it.

Beating Brizzle has always been a significant game and high on the list of our must wins.

In past years, sadly a long time ago, many of our players in the squad were local boys or had been at City so long that they felt the rivalry of this particular derby.

No doubt Managers use derbies to add a motivational twist to the team talk and I imagine that Warnock would have been very good at that.

But come Saturday with no fans to add the spice, players who potentially have little interest in it being a derby and similarly our Manager, will it be anything more than just another important fixture?

It would be interesting to hear players views on just what derby matches mean to them, when they not local boys.

First Team

Re: The Bristol City match. A derby match, but not as we knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Beating Brizzle has always been a significant game and high on the list of our must wins.

In past years, sadly a long time ago, many of our players in the squad were local boys or had been at City so long that they felt the rivalry of this particular derby.

No doubt Managers use derbies to add a motivational twist to the team talk and I imagine that Warnock would have been very good at that.

But come Saturday with no fans to add the spice, players who potentially have little interest in it being a derby and similarly our Manager, will it be anything more than just another important fixture?

It would be interesting to hear players views on just what derby matches mean to them, when they not local boys.
    Flint, Pack, Tomlin...

“No doubt Managers use derbies to add a motivational twist to the team talk and I imagine that Warnock would have been very good at that.”

Didn’t do a very good job in his last three derby’s , did he !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    “No doubt Managers use derbies to add a motivational twist to the team talk and I imagine that Warnock would have been very good at that.”

Didn’t do a very good job in his last three derby’s , did he !!!!!
    'Derby's'?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    'Derby's'?
    "Derby's" what, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    'Derby's'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    "Derby's" what, I wonder?

Predicting text on iPhone, couldn’t be arsed changing it. Tried twice, just kept on coming up.

I can live with the pain

Never going to have the same feeling without fans, the spurs West ham game wasnt great. The actual football in a derby isn't always the best anyway but at least the atmosphere would usually make up for it.

Massive game though, play off contenders, on sky, and some of the longer serving players will know what it's about.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Never going to have the same feeling without fans, the spurs West ham game wasnt great. The actual football in a derby isn't always the best anyway but at least the atmosphere would usually make up for it.

Massive game though, play off contenders, on sky, and some of the longer serving players will know what it's about.
    Erm.... I think you mean play off contender 😂

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Erm.... I think you mean play off contender ��
    No plural is correct.All of our players are play-off contenders

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

The same Warnock who lost to both Bristol and Swansea this season, with the Swansea performance being particularly gutless?

I'd imagine the derby would mean a bit to ex Bristol players Pack, Tomlin and Flint, not to mention the long-serving Joe Ralls (9 years at the club) and Sean Morrison (6 years)