+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Boy

Re: Black Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Historic 400-year-old pub called The Black Boy is set to be renamed in wake of Black Lives Matter protests and will be rebranded as The Restoration in nod to King Charles II....

Ye gods....you cannot delete history.....this is getting absurd.
    There's a pub in Caernarfon called the Black Boy, also has the name the Black Buoy, and used to be called the Kings Arms, so there's a mix for you.

Cracking pub too

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If the locals are anything like TLG, they'll boycott it now. He doesn't like owners messing about with tradition.
    Thanks for the name-check, it's always nice to get a mention from one of my many fans, but to be honest I couldn't give a **** about pub names. They change all the time. Indeed, my local changed its name in order to appear a bit more traditional. The amended name made it sound a bit more naff, but then its name had always sounded naff anyway.

Imagine being upset about a pub you're never visited changing its name. Strange times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    When Franklin's became the Goscombe I was relatively happy but now it's the Treganna I'm really vexed.
    Wasn't there a Plum tree somewhere in there?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Wasn't there a Plum tree somewhere in there?
    You had to bring that up didn't you.
    I'm in total melt down now.
    What about are traditions sic

I can't believe what's going on in this great country of ours! They're taking down statues of people I've never heard of in places I've never been, they're covering up monuments I've never visited, they're changing the names of pubs I never drink in and they're removing TV shows I never watch from streaming platforms I never use. It's an absolute disgrace! Before you know it, they'll stop selling magazines I never buy, stop printing books I never read and stop playing music I don't like on radio stations I never listen to. My life is never going to be the same again!

By the way, have I mentioned I live in France?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I can't believe what's going on in this great country of ours! They're taking down statues of people I've never heard of in places I've never been, they're covering up monuments I've never visited, they're changing the names of pubs I never drink in and they're removing TV shows I never watch from streaming platforms I never use. It's an absolute disgrace! Before you know it, they'll stop selling magazines I never buy, stop printing books I never read and stop playing music I don't like on radio stations I never listen to. My life is never going to be the same again!

Don't tell me that they have changed the name of Le Garcon Noir in Perigord. Mon Dieu!

You had to bring that up didn't you.
    I'm in total melt down now.
    What about are traditions sic
    Sic indeed Though I do note you trying to curry favour with the hysterical....sorry, historical traditionalists here with your obscure latin abbreviations!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Sic indeed Though I do note you trying to curry favour with the hysterical....sorry, historical traditionalists here with your obscure latin abbreviations!
    If the historic Latin abbreviations go I'm joining the Latin abbreviations fundamentalist democratic alliance.

Thanks for the name-check, it's always nice to get a mention from one of my many fans, but to be honest I couldn't give a **** about pub names. They change all the time. Indeed, my local changed its name in order to appear a bit more traditional. The amended name made it sound a bit more naff, but then its name had always sounded naff anyway.

Imagine being upset about a pub you're never visited changing its name. Strange times indeed.
    Imagine getting wound up by Maurice again!
    Strange times indeed!

If the historic Latin abbreviations go I'm joining the Latin abbreviations fundamentalist democratic alliance.
    I will give your alliance a few weeks and one of your ilk will probably end up pissing by a statue of Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's been called that for closer to 200 years according to the article Maurice alluded to. Got it's name from Charles II's nickname that his mother gave him, apparently.

20+ pubs in the UK with "Black Boy" in its name. I went to "The Black Boy" in Hull after a game a few years ago and thought "what the f**k?! Surely you can't have a pub called that!" Weirdest thing was that the doorman was a black guy

Anyway... times have changed... unfortunately, it seems, for a lot of people who would rather we were still neanderthals. I mean, the invention of fire would be "changing history" for those who were happy being cold and eating raw meat etc.
    In the article about this, it says its been called the Black Boy for 404 yrs. No more it seems.
    Don't know why they don't just burn it to the ground now that we’ve discovered fire 😁

Of COURSE they are deleting history.....they would not have done so if not for the current left wing BLM.
    Interesting that an organisation trying to defeat racism is called ‘left wing’. It doesn’t say much for the right, does it?

When I was in uni, the SU bar banned Chris Brown's music, which I love to dance to, but I wasn't moaning. OP needs a sense of perspective

Imagine getting wound up by Maurice again!
    Strange times indeed!
    Nobody gets wound up by Maurice. He's either a daft old racist or yet another multi. But nobody gets wound up by him.

Nobody gets wound up by Maurice. He's either a daft old racist or yet another multi. But nobody gets wound up by him.
    So just ignore him then. He seems to thrive on attention.

Heisenberg

In the article about this, it says its been called the Black Boy for 404 yrs. No more it seems.
    Don't know why they don't just burn it to the ground now that we’ve discovered fire 😁
    Must be a different "Black Boy" then...apologies. The article I read said it had been called the Black Boy since 1800 or something like that.

When I was at college the students union voted to ban the conservative student society from holding meetings on student union property

So they met in a pub , about 7 of them

That's the sort of democracy I like

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Interesting that an organisation trying to defeat racism is called ‘left wing’. It doesn’t say much for the right, does it?

That reminds me of the people who keep slagging off anti-fascists...

What's the opposite of an anti-fascist?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    How often do you see right wing groups marching against child poverty , government benefit reforms , the state of the NHS etc

So just ignore him then.
    Where's the fun in that?

There is a pub in dinas Powys called the swan

That should be renamed

Or torched

shouldnt mention the black cock inn i guess

Historic 400-year-old pub called The Black Boy is set to be renamed in wake of Black Lives Matter protests and will be rebranded as The Restoration in nod to King Charles II....

the absolute state of you

If that's the one in Hull, we went in there before a match up there. Asked a Hull born colleague where to go and she said it was a good traditional pub to visit. We won 2-1. Good trip - remember standing next to the boss for the game, and JET scoring. .

If it's a completely different one, then, sorry.....

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There is a pub in dinas Powys called the swan

That should be renamed

Or torched
    It’s called The Royal India now Sludge. Restaurant and Takeaway.