+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The curious case of Brad Smith

The curious case of Brad Smith

What do you all think of Brad Smith?

It's curious that Brad Smith has played less than 20 games in the English league system, which for a 26 year old raises some questions. Has he just been unlucky and been at clubs that had better players in front of him or is he just not quite good enough? He has played more international games than league football games which is odd.

He does seem well thought of with Liverpool even including a 'buy-back' clause in the transfer agreement with Bournemouth.

With him becoming a free transfer this summer would you like to see city sign him?

Personally I haven't really seen enough of him to form a strong opinion.

Heisenberg

Re: The curious case of Brad Smith

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post

It's curious that Brad Smith has played less than 20 games in the English league system, which for a 26 year old raises some questions. Has he just been unlucky and been at clubs that had better players in front of him or is he just not quite good enough? He has played more international games than league football games which is odd.

He does seem well thought of with Liverpool even including a 'buy-back' clause in the transfer agreement with Bournemouth.

With him becoming a free transfer this summer would you like to see city sign him?

Bournemouth were "had" by Liverpool. Their Director of Football, Michael Edwards is some sort of transfer sorcerer.

He sold Brad Smith for £6m+, Ibe for £15m-20m and Solanke for £20m+ to Bournemouth. None of them have shown anything close to being worth what was paid.

Liverpool got £10m for Danny Ward from Leicester and managed to negotiate with Hull the transfer of Andy Robertson for about £10m whilst receiving £7.5m for Kevin Stewart.

He appears to be the second biggest reason after Klopp for their recent success.

Brad Smith was on Liverpool's books for too long without breaking through (a bit like Danny Ward and Kevin Stewart actually) so they capitalised on their reputation for developing youth players and made a lot of money off the back of it. I think some scouts look at the fact that they managed to get a couple of league apps under their belt for Liverpool and that was enough to think "there's something about them".

Smith never looked like making it in the top division and was hardly pulling up trees in League 1 or MLS when he actually got some games.

Bournemouth have also really struggled with injuries in their defence since signing Smith - yet he hasn't had a peek at getting in the team.

For those reasons, I can't see him making much of a difference in a City shirt.

Having said all that...

He's a cracking winger.

I get the feeling that he was some way short of full fitness when he first came here, he played three or four times for the Under 23s before the kckdown as I recall. You're right, his career has been an odd one, I was surprised when you said he was 26 (I would have put him a couple of years younger than that) and his lack of game time at Bournemouth suggests to me that the Championship may be his level - even then, if it was my decision, he'd only be offered a one year deal.

I'd prefer to have Joel Bagan as back up for Joe Bennett and also let Greg Cunningham moved back up north be it permanently or on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Bournemouth were "had" by Liverpool. Their Director of Football, Michael Edwards is some sort of transfer sorcerer.

He sold Brad Smith for £6m+, Ibe for £15m-20m and Solanke for £20m+ to Bournemouth. None of them have shown anything close to being worth what was paid.

Liverpool got £10m for Danny Ward from Leicester and managed to negotiate with Hull the transfer of Andy Robertson for about £10m whilst receiving £7.5m for Kevin Stewart.

He appears to be the second biggest reason after Klopp for their recent success.

Brad Smith was on Liverpool's books for too long without breaking through (a bit like Danny Ward and Kevin Stewart actually) so they capitalised on their reputation for developing youth players and made a lot of money off the back of it. I think some scouts look at the fact that they managed to get a couple of league apps under their belt for Liverpool and that was enough to think "there's something about them".

Smith never looked like making it in the top division and was hardly pulling up trees in League 1 or MLS when he actually got some games.

Bournemouth have also really struggled with injuries in their defence since signing Smith - yet he hasn't had a peek at getting in the team.

Having said all that...

He's a cracking winger.
    Nice response. Far too sensible for this board!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I get the feeling that he was some way short of full fitness when he first came here, he played three or four times for the Under 23s before the kckdown as I recall. You're right, his career has been an odd one, I was surprised when you said he was 26 (I would have put him a couple of years younger than that) and his lack of game time at Bournemouth suggests to me that the Championship may be his level - even then, if it was my decision, he'd only be offered a one year deal.

I'd prefer to have Joel Bagan as back up for Joe Bennett and also let Greg Cunningham moved back up north be it permanently or on loan.
    Is Bagan's loan deal over? I've lost the plot on National League play-offs or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Having said all that...

He's a cracking winger.
    Good post.

Chelsea seem to keep players until into their 20s as well and sell them for a decent price. They have shed loads in their books who spend their lives out on loan, a case of buying too many to "see how they go" then getting shot once they get a decent offer or they don't want them

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Is Bagan's loan deal over? I've lost the plot on National League play-offs or not!
    Yes, I think so, it was only one that club went down from League Two wasn't it.

I think we’ll keep him if we’re still in Championship and sell either Cunningham or Bennett but let him go if we make Premier League and keep other 2?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I think so, it was only one that club went down from League Two wasn't it.
    But with Bury going out of business won't they need two to come up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    But with Bury going out of business won't they need two to come up?
    Yes, play offs later this month. Notts County aren't using Bagan though as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post

Same thing, innit?

He's probably on good wages at Bournemouth and would have to take a big drop in income to come to us. And his only appearance was late on last week, so it would be a no from me. The only game Bagan played for us was in the FA Cup and he was very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Same thing, innit?
    Aye maybe, I have annoying habit of asking the same question in different ways.

Interesting responses though.

For me on reflection and based on some well thought out comments on here, it would be a no from me.