+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Messageboard Member’s Schools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Messageboard Member’s Schools

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    In St Illtyds, when it moved to Llanrumney, we used to have a geography teacher (Mr Hobbs), who would have a pint with us in the dinner hour, in the Fox & Hounds !!!
    We had a mutual agreement, we wouldn’t tell on him , he wouldn’t tell on us
    I remember Hobbs. I think that he went on an Antarctic expedition with Vivian Fuchs in the Fifties. I seem to recall him showing us a film of him there. Bit of a character although there were a few at the time I was there. Pedro Welch and his brother, Edgar, who would walk down the corridors shouting "Gangway, Naval Officer" and any kid who got in the way would get a smack across the head!! Happy Days!

St Peters for my Infant and Junior Schools.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    I remember Hobbs. I think that he went on an Antarctic expedition with Vivian Fuchs in the Fifties. I seem to recall him showing us a film of him there. Bit of a character although there were a few at the time I was there. Pedro Welch and his brother, Edgar, who would walk down the corridors shouting "Gangway, Naval Officer" and any kid who got in the way would get a smack across the head!! Happy Days!

Remember all of them and your right about Hobbs showing the film of him on that trip.

Can you remember Edgar chinning brother Augustine, in an argument about his brother ??

How old are you, won’t ask your name as some don’t like giving it out on here, but where did you live at the time

Was at St Illtyd's 1959-64 so always at the Splott site. Lived in Roath. Don't recall the incident but I wish the same had happened to Bro. Claude. Grade A sadist imo.

Remember all of them and your right about Hobbs showing the film of him on that trip.

Can you remember Edgar chinning brother Augustine, in an argument about his brother ??

How old are you, won’t ask your name as some don’t like giving it out on here, but where did you live at the time
    For my sins my schooling was St.Josephs Infants, De La Salle Juniors and then St.illtyds (one year in Splott followed by Rumney). I too remember those teachers. Wasn’t Jack Hobbs Antarctic explorer mate Wally Herbert?

I don’t recall the Brother Augustine/Edgar Welch incident but do recall that a pupil nutted Augustine aka ‘Block Head’ or have I made that up?!

Quote Originally Posted by Taff in Tala View Post
    For my sins my schooling was St.Josephs Infants, De La Salle Juniors and then St.illtyds (one year in Splott followed by Rumney). I too remember those teachers. Wasn’t Jack Hobbs Antarctic explorer mate Wally Herbert?

I don’t recall the Brother Augustine/Edgar Welch incident but do recall that a pupil nutted Augustine aka ‘Block Head’ or have I made that up?!
    I think “block head” was brother Adrian, and KM, from Cathays whacked him with a sock full of golf balls

PS:——- from your years and location, I bet I know you

I think “block head” was brother Adrian, and KM, from Cathays whacked him with a sock full of golf balls

PS:——- from your years and location, I bet I know you
    Ah yes your correct Block Head was Brother Adrian! I agree and I should know you. I had an elder brother three years ahead of me if that’s a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff in Tala View Post
    Ah yes your correct Block Head was Brother Adrian! I agree and I should know you. I had an elder brother three years ahead of me if that’s a clue.
    Na, brain not working

If you went to St Joe’s, you may know the names Francis Couchlin, Kevin maunder, Peter scully

Na, brain not working

If you went to St Joe’s, you may know the names Francis Couchlin, Kevin maunder, Peter scully
    I was only in St.Joe’s for a year but I remember the names as mentioned. Francis’s father was a police officer, same as my father was. Kevin was a bit of a lad as I recall and Peter Scully I remember. Lots of others, Keith Chadwick, Michael Dee, Dodger Wright, Verdun Thorne.......I could go on.

International

The Welchs were my cousins. They used to call Pedro Pedro Belch because there is no W in spanish, which he used to teach.
    Hobbs wrote an end of term Geography lesson for our term and threw the sheet thing he used for printing it on an old roller machine in the bin. It was found. I think we all got 99%

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The Welchs were my cousins. They used to call Pedro Pedro Belch because there is no W in spanish, which he used to teach.
    Hobbs wrote an end of term Geography lesson for our term and threw the sheet thing he used for printing it on an old roller machine in the bin. It was found. I think we all got 99%

Were any of you Old Illtydians in Hobb’s class, when he spent the whole double period taking bets on what the name of the ship being launched would be.

Think it was 67, the QE2

Funny as F uck. A great teacher though, he’d “been there, done that”

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Pedro taught me Spanish. As a relative you may be able to confirm or deny his often repeated statement that he was related to Francisco Gento (Spain and Real Madrid) by marriage. As a kid I took it as gospel but I have often wondered if it was just normal BS.

International

Pedro taught me Spanish. As a relative you may be able to confirm or deny his often repeated statement that he was related to Francisco Gento (Spain and Real Madrid) by marriage. As a kid I took it as gospel but I have often wondered if it was just normal BS.
    I beleive it was so. his wife was the Daughter of the Spanish Consul in Wales. But I can't confirm 100%