+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Messageboard Member’s Schools

Re: Messageboard Member’s Schools

Townhill for rough kids.

St Albans splott

St Illtyds in Splott first (when it was a great school), until it moved to Llanrumney/St Mellon’s. (never the same)

St Francis and Mostyn.

My memory is getting hazier regarding such things but I think that mine were as follows:

Trelai Primary
    Albany Road Primary
    Caerau Lane
    Adamsdown Junior (possibly)
    Hywel Dda
    Trelai Junior
    Kitchener Road Primary
    Monica Road Junior
    Kitchener Junior
    St Joesph's Junior (a catholic school!)
    Trelai Junior (second stint)
    Cyntwell
    Cantonian

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    My memory is getting hazier regarding such things but I think that mine were as follows:

Trelai Primary
    Albany Road Primary
    Caerau Lane
    Adamsdown Junior (possibly)
    Hywel Dda
    Trelai Junior
    Kitchener Road Primary
    Monica Road Junior
    Kitchener Junior
    St Joesph's Junior (a catholic school!)
    Trelai Junior (second stint)
    Cyntwell
    Cantonian
    Was weird being in Mostyn for a while, as we took over Cyntwell and there was a mixture of us and the prods for a while, before they moved to Glyn Derw. Often had to trek to the Upper School for one lesson, then back to Cyntwell for another.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Was weird being in Mostyn for a while, as we took over Cyntwell and there was a mixture of us and the prods for a while, before they moved to Glyn Derw. Often had to trek to the Upper School for one lesson, then back to Cyntwell for another.
    I didn't realise that the two schools merged. I went up the hill to look for Cyntwell school a number of years ago and it was noticeable by its absence - and houses seemed to be where it was previously located.
    As for Glyn Derw, it was girls-only at the time and Cyntwell was boy-only. In fact, I remember the gym teacher, Mr Rodgers, telling us that if we descend the ropes too quickly we would end up in Glyn Derw.
    I remember the kiddy-fiddler art teacher who upgraded pupil's marks they joined him in his storeroom, the married maths teacher having an affair with the secretary, the woodwork teacher who punished us by slapping our buttocks with a flat bat that he made for that very same purpose (and which he called 'The Clicky Bar', a literary reference) and a loony science teacher (who I think was also a pervert) who was obsessed with caning, so much so that he would let you decide how you would like your six canings administered: left hand, right hand, buttocks, thin cane, thick cane, medium cane or any combination thereof.
    Mostyn used to hammer us at rugby. We had fourteen players (including me) who were no more than average and one singular,very aggressive thug who made up for about a handful of us. Sadly, it was not enough. I remember that someone in Mostyn's pack was obviously a garlic aficiando and that Cyntwell's pitch, which had obviously been levelled by removing a lot of the topsoil, was always very oily.
    Good lord, I'm boring myself now....

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Gabalfa infants
    Gabalfa juniors
    Glantaf (before it became a Welsh school).
    How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    St Albans splott

St Illtyds in Splott first (when it was a great school), until it moved to Llanrumney/St Mellon’s. (never the same)
    I agree, and nowhere to buy chips in a bap either!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    St Francis and Mostyn.
    me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I didn't realise that the two schools merged. I went up the hill to look for Cyntwell school a number of years ago and it was noticeable by its absence - and houses seemed to be where it was previously located.
    As for Glyn Derw, it was girls-only at the time and Cyntwell was boy-only. In fact, I remember the gym teacher, Mr Rodgers, telling us that if we descend the ropes too quickly we would end up in Glyn Derw.
    I remember the kiddy-fiddler art teacher who upgraded pupil's marks they joined him in his storeroom, the married maths teacher having an affair with the secretary, the woodwork teacher who punished us by slapping our buttocks with a flat bat that he made for that very same purpose (and which he called 'The Clicky Bar', a literary reference) and a loony science teacher (who I think was also a pervert) who was obsessed with caning, so much so that he would let you decide how you would like your six canings administered: left hand, right hand, buttocks, thin cane, thick cane, medium cane or any combination thereof.
    Mostyn used to hammer us at rugby. We had fourteen players (including me) who were no more than average and one singular,very aggressive thug who made up for about a handful of us. Sadly, it was not enough. I remember that someone in Mostyn's pack was obviously a garlic aficiando and that Cyntwell's pitch, which had obviously been levelled by removing a lot of the topsoil, was always very oily.
    Good lord, I'm boring myself now....
    Clicky Ba, that brought back memories of Chung in The Wolf of Kabul, he modified a cricket bat to use as a weapon. Was in The Wizard, I remember it from The Hotspur though. Apparently The Wolf of Kabul has appeared in other comics since.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Clicky Ba, that brought back memories of Chung in The Wolf of Kabul, he modified a cricket bat to use as a weapon. Was in The Wizard, I remember it from The Hotspur though. Apparently The Wolf of Kabul has appeared in other comics since.
    I remember clicky Ba "Clicky Ba is ready boss!"

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Cwmaber and Caerphilly Grammar

Bang on. (I thought I edited out the erroneous 'r' I added to 'Clicky Ba')

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Sorry the question was meant for Blue tit.

Sorry the question was meant for Blue tit.
    69 in September

Body 69, head and heart 28

Do you want my bank details as well

International

69 in September

Body 69, head and heart 28

Do you want my bank details as well
    Yes please, because my uncle just died in Nigeria and he had $53,000,000 he made me promise to give to a good man who would use it for public good, and as you're an old Illtydian you must be super-good..
    did you know a boy in School named Ian Murphy, he was in your year or 1 ahead of you? (He isn't my uncle by the way)

I remember it in Hotspur.
    Strangely, when I was reading it all those years ago (mid 1960s I guess) my GRAN said she remembered it from years before (she had 4 sons). Been gouing a long time, it seems*.

* just googled - it first appeared in Wizard in 1922. They probably recycled the same stories every few years.

Yes please, because my uncle just died in Nigeria and he had $53,000,000 he made me promise to give to a good man who would use it for public good, and as you're an old Illtydian you must be super-good..
    did you know a boy in School named Ian Murphy, he was in your year or 1 ahead of you? (He isn't my uncle by the way)
    The Ian Murphy, I knew from St Albans/St Illtyds, lived in Tremorfa (off Twedsmuir Road)

I was told he passed away about 25 years ago (not confirmed though)

Junior Bryn Hafod
    Senior Llanrumney High

International

The Ian Murphy, I knew from St Albans/St Illtyds, lived in Tremorfa (off Twedsmuir Road)

I just wondered. The one I mean was a year behind me. He drinks in my local. His fist year would have been Sep 62

I just wondered. The one I mean was a year behind me. He drinks in my local. His fist year would have been Sep 62
    Sounds like the same one, Ian was in the same class as me.

What pub/area are you talking about ??

Obviously, I was misinformed about him !!!

International

Sounds like the same one, Ian was in the same class as me.

What pub/area are you talking about ??

Obviously, I was misinformed about him !!!
    either the Malsters or the Butchers in Llandaff. I thought you'd have started in Sep 63 because of your birthday being after the holidays. I'm not sure this guy lived in Tremorfa. More likely he went to De la salle, he is a retired high court judge now and was a precscution and defence criminal barrister for years. ( QC ). nice fella and a mine of info if you have a problem

either the Malsters or the Butchers in Llandaff. I thought you'd have started in Sep 63 because of your birthday being after the holidays. I'm not sure this guy lived in Tremorfa. More likely he went to De la salle, he is a retired high court judge now and was a precscution and defence criminal barrister for years. ( QC ). nice fella and a mine of info if you have a PROBLEM
    Can he sort out my “piles”

Na, different fella by the sound of it. The Ian I knew, definitely went to St Albans. There were a lot of “spuds” around in those days (is it PC to call um that now )

Usk borstal