+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Messageboard Member’s Schools

International

Re: Messageboard Member’s Schools

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    I remember Hobbs. I think that he went on an Antarctic expedition with Vivian Fuchs in the Fifties. I seem to recall him showing us a film of him there. Bit of a character although there were a few at the time I was there. Pedro Welch and his brother, Edgar, who would walk down the corridors shouting "Gangway, Naval Officer" and any kid who got in the way would get a smack across the head!! Happy Days!

St Peters for my Infant and Junior Schools.
    The Welchs were my cousins. They used to call Pedro Pedro Belch because there is no W in spanish, which he used to teach.
    Hobbs wrote an end of term Geography lesson for our term and threw the sheet thing he used for printing it on an old roller machine in the bin. It was found. I think we all got 99%

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    i never knew you were related to sister mary michael
    Used to fancy her

Sister catherine was the butcher

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    spent years on the beaches with crooky bloody good fisherman held the casting record for a while
    That was paul , monsters older brother

Sold my welsh wizard conoflex to him , good bloke

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    St Cyres, Penarth.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The Welchs were my cousins. They used to call Pedro Pedro Belch because there is no W in spanish, which he used to teach.
    Hobbs wrote an end of term Geography lesson for our term and threw the sheet thing he used for printing it on an old roller machine in the bin. It was found. I think we all got 99%

Were any of you Old Illtydians in Hobb’s class, when he spent the whole double period taking bets on what the name of the ship being launched would be.

Think it was 67, the QE2

Funny as F uck. A great teacher though, he’d “been there, done that”

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Pedro taught me Spanish. As a relative you may be able to confirm or deny his often repeated statement that he was related to Francisco Gento (Spain and Real Madrid) by marriage. As a kid I took it as gospel but I have often wondered if it was just normal BS.

Whitchurch.

The year above Bale etc.

I thought our year was more talented. I thought Mousey and Scruff would become stars but their year ended up having Gareth Bale, Geraint Thomas, Sam Warburton, Elliot Kear and more.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    Pedro taught me Spanish. As a relative you may be able to confirm or deny his often repeated statement that he was related to Francisco Gento (Spain and Real Madrid) by marriage. As a kid I took it as gospel but I have often wondered if it was just normal BS.
    I beleive it was so. his wife was the Daughter of the Spanish Consul in Wales. But I can't confirm 100%

Banned

Abertillery Comp.

We had a teacher who a girl in our year fancied. He was just starting as a teacher, so about 22/23 I would guess. She was 11. She used to stay in his class to help - and we used to take the piss. Eventually he left his wife for her not long after she left school.

We also had an alcoholic English teacher, once saw him in Leo's in Ebbw Vale stocking up on booze. We joined just as caning was banned, but he was a wicked shot with a board rubber, even when pissed. He'd often have a kip in the corner while we read books, but was sacked once caught a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That was paul , monsters older brother

Sold my welsh wizard conoflex to him , good bloke
    you got them bothmust have met you somewhere along the coast used to fish with cardiff sea anglers they were then based in splott and cardiff foreshore was the home beach

Was St Illtyds buiding in Rumney formerly Caer Castel?

NO
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Was St Illtyds buiding in Rumney formerly Caer Castel?
    NO

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    NO

NO
    Thanks. Does Caer Castell still exist? Had past dealings with the nightschool there very many years ago.

Thanks. Does Caer Castell still exist? Had past dealings with the nightschool there very many years ago.
    Knocked down, just a pile of recycled hardcore now, large plot of land, ripe for developing and increasing Newport Rd traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I wonder what infants, junior and senior schools messageboarders attended and which ones would be top of the list?

Mine are infants-St Francis (Ely), junior- St Albans (Splott) & senior-Lady Mary.
    Moorland Road then around the corner to Willows High, passing Margies for a ten pence mixture on the way

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The nearest pub to St Illtyds hasn’t had a mention yet......The Witla Court, an old mansion house on the Witla Court estate which was a pub from the 60s to the 80s, demolished now.
    Yes ,forgot that , and the pubs near the County Cinema

I played Basketball for them .

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Coedpenmaen and Hawrthorn Comp for me.
    was at coedpenmsen from 63-69

I wasn’t born until 75.

If you are from Trallwn my family lived on Bonvilston Rd, Thurston Rd, Berw Rd and Scarborough Rd

St.Pats...Mostyn

Feedback

St Philip Evans
    St Francis
    St Mary's
    St Francis
    Mostyn

Moorland Road Junior School (Splott)

Willows High ( Tremorfa)

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Moorland Road Junior School (Splott)

Willows High ( Tremorfa)

I’ve forgotten the name of the junior school by Splott Baths (senior moment )
    What was it please ???

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Haven't seen Jerry Cleall Harding for years
    Jamie! I used to play rugby with him. He drifted off after he finished playing and I haven't seen him for years either.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’ve forgotten the name of the junior school by Splott Baths (senior moment )
    What was it please ???
    It was either Tremorfa Junior and Infants or Moorland Primary. Might be both!