+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: local lockdowns

local lockdowns

I know this will not effect many here, but i guess it will be happening in Wales aswell

this morning on the way to work it was all over our local radio station thats Wiltshire were only a matter of days away from a local lockdown as we have a 300% increase

this afternoon the local council made a statement

Wiltshire Council has dismissed suggestions the county could be one of the next locations in the country to go into lockdown.

Media reports today (30 June) had stated there had been a recent weekly increase of new cases in the county of 300%. However this actually equates to just an increase from one to four new cases.

So Wiltshire had 1 Covid 19 case and now had 4

surely we are at a point where we need to get on with life, 1 case in the whole of Wiltshire ( now 4 )

dont worry though, ive restocked up on food and bog roll

Re: local lockdowns

You Ingurlunders, (not you personally ) just won’t stay in

Boris is desperate to open up pubs and other establishments for the summer holidays but I fear in doing so, we'll see more and more local lockdown as groups gather. Stopping his daily briefings has reduced people's focus and attention on the pandemic, so people will be more relaxed about adhering to social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I know this will not effect many here, but i guess it will be happening in Wales aswell

this morning on the way to work it was all over our local radio station thats Wiltshire were only a matter of days away from a local lockdown as we have a 300% increase

Wiltshire Council has dismissed suggestions the county could be one of the next locations in the country to go into lockdown.

Media reports today (30 June) had stated there had been a recent weekly increase of new cases in the county of 300%. However this actually equates to just an increase from one to four new cases.

surely we are at a point where we need to get on with life, 1 case in the whole of Wiltshire ( now 4 )

You're 100% right. It should have always been about balancing risk, but your Wiltshire illustration shows what happens when the scientists run the Country. It appears that the ROI in Leicester has been falling for the last 2 weeks, and the spike was almost exclusively children.

International

On the news last night they interviewed the leader of Barnsley council who are at No 3 on the re-lockdown list. The interviewer wanted him to say they hadn't been given all the relevant info by the Gov but he said that wasn't the case, they had been given all the info and the gov had been monitoring it for the last 2-3 weeks.Then he tried to make him say the outbreak was centred around factories and the gov hadn't enforced the distancing rules but the man said no, they were having inspections and everything was OK. Then he tried to say it was the schools that had caused it but the Leader wasn't having that either.
    You could hear the interviewer getting more and more frustrated because he couldn't make the man say it was somebody's fault. In the end he gave up. It was quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    On the news last night they interviewed the leader of Barnsley council who are at No 3 on the re-lockdown list. The interviewer wanted him to say they hadn't been given all the relevant info by the Gov but he said that wasn't the case, they had been given all the info and the gov had been monitoring it for the last 2-3 weeks.Then he tried to make him say the outbreak was centred around factories and the gov hadn't enforced the distancing rules but the man said no, they were having inspections and everything was OK. Then he tried to say it was the schools that had caused it but the Leader wasn't having that either.
    You could hear the interviewer getting more and more frustrated because he couldn't make the man say it was somebody's fault. In the end he gave up. It was quite funny.
    That's what's been frustrating me, all the interviewers are trying to prompt the people interviewed, leading questions every time!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    That's what's been frustrating me, all the interviewers are trying to prompt the people interviewed, leading questions every time!
    Its why I treat all the reports with a pinch of salt. The jouralists are always trying to make something out of nothing, and when this guy kept saying everything was good you could hear the interviewer getting irritated because he couldn't make him say something bad.
    It's like when they say things like "Doctor claims no PPE in such and such". Then they build a story around the one person to paint a picture of every hospital in the country being in PPE crisis, but in reality we don't know if they had to talk to 50 doctors before they found one who was willing to say what they wanted. Of course they would not be interested in anyone who said everything was OK.
    But in this case they were stuck with the man because he is the Leader of the council.
    They have always done it I suppose but in this pandemic it has become more and more noticeable, and eventually it means people just reject everything that is said.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Its why I treat all the reports with a pinch of salt. The jouralists are always trying to make something out of nothing, and when this guy kept saying everything was good you could hear the interviewer getting irritated because he couldn't make him say something bad.
    It's like when they say things like "Doctor claims no PPE in such and such". Then they build a story around the one person to paint a picture of every hospital in the country being in PPE crisis, but in reality we don't know if they had to talk to 50 doctors before they found one who was willing to say what they wanted. Of course they would not be interested in anyone who said everything was OK.
    But in this case they were stuck with the man because he is the Leader of the council.
    They have always done it I suppose but in this pandemic it has become more and more noticeable, and eventually it means people just reject everything that is said.
    I am in PR. During the height of the pandemic one of my clients was making thousands of face shields. They couldn’t give them away to make hospitals because they simply didn’t need them

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    You're 100% right. It should have always been about balancing risk, but your Wiltshire illustration shows what happens when the scientists run the Country. It appears that the ROI in Leicester has been falling for the last 2 weeks, and the spike was almost exclusively children.
    Nice one.

Heisenberg

So the Daily Mail report that a 300% increase in Covid cases in Wiltshire could lead to a lockdown. Wiltshire Council respond by clarifying how much of an increase that is in real terms and "dismissed suggestions" that they would be going into lockdown because of it...

And you post "surely we are at a point where we need to get on with life, 1 case in the whole of Wiltshire ( now 4 )". (that's a weekly increase by the way)

Yes. We are at that point. As the extract you posted clearly shows.

Anything else I can help with today?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    They need a soundbyte so they ask leading questions to get the soundbyte that they want. This has been a standard tactic and practice from interviewers since interviewing began. This again show us why one should always read the article and not just the headline.

From 1 to 4 cases....my goodness that sounds severe. Might have to close the m4 and all roads in and out

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Boris is desperate to open up pubs and other establishments for the summer holidays but I fear in doing so, we'll see more and more local lockdown as groups gather. Stopping his daily briefings has reduced people's focus and attention on the pandemic, so people will be more relaxed about adhering to social distancing.
    I've been relaxed for a while now, I mix in different groups for work. It just can't be avoided. I also have a small social group that I've seen through lockdown (out on the open easy to keep the distance before I get shot down by the usuals)