+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retained list (part 2).

Retained list (part 2).

There was a thread about the club's retained list last week which developed into a discussion about the failure of the Academy to produce first team players following the release of, among others, Sion Spence who was touted as one of the brightest prospects at the club a while back.

The assumption was that Spence had been released by the club and had not been offered another contract - my information is that this is not correct.

Apparently, a number of Academy age players were offered one year pro deals while being told that there would be no chance of them breaking into the first team at league level in 20/21. Some of them went ahead and signed contracts, but others, including Sion Spence, turned them down and chose to look elsewhere.

It seems there is another top half Championship club and two others in the lower divisions are very interested in signing Spence.

So, it seems it was not all as cut and dried as reported last week, City wanted to keep Spence and a few others apparently, but the players were not happy with aspects of the club's approach.

Re: Retained list (part 2).

I was surprised that he left because I was told he’d been offered another year. I don’t blame him though because he needs to play regular football and perhaps moving to another club will give him more game time. Before lockdown, I used to see his dad in the pub but obviously haven’t seen him for months now.

He should have stayed and gone on loan. Pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    He should have stayed and gone on loan. Pity.
    I've no proof of this, but the club fought really hard to keep him and Matondo at the time when Man City were after the pair of them and it wouldn't surprise me if there might have been some disappointment on the part of the player and his family/representatives over City's attitude since then.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I was surprised that he left because I was told he’d been offered another year. I don’t blame him though because he needs to play regular football and perhaps moving to another club will give him more game time. Before lockdown, I used to see his dad in the pub but obviously haven’t seen him for months now.
    Yes, I'd agree with that - the concerning thing is that City's reputation as a club where youngsters have got no one in recent years continues and their chances of attracting the young talent considered good enough to break into the senior side must diminish accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've no proof of this, but the club fought really hard to keep him and Matondo at the time when Man City were after the pair of them and it wouldn't surprise me if there might have been some disappointment on the part of the player and his family/representatives over City's attitude since then.
    Makes you wonder whether it is worth having an academy, as anyone who looks like they are going to make it, decides to leave. Alternatively the system at CCFC needs a massive reorganisation and a different attitude towards promising players.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Makes you wonder whether it is worth having an academy, as anyone who looks like they are going to make it, decides to leave. Alternatively the system at CCFC needs a massive reorganisation and a different attitude towards promising players.
    Well, the Academy has clearly not been worth the expense since Declan John's time and, admittedly from an outside perspective, it would appear that it would just be a case of throwing good money after bad if things carry on as they are. Either a thorough investigation into the effectiveness and suitability of senior members of staff at Academy or a change of attitude at the club with regard to selection of younger players appears to be in order to me because one or both of them appears to be wrong and has been for years.

I'm trying to work out the club's perspective on offering contracts to players who won't play - it's been said that we could have a more progressive way of playing but would need a pre-season to get the players used to such a system, all the while incorporating a few of the youngsters into the first team squad, but given that we're unlikely to get a full pre-season for 20/21 maybe this is a clue as to the approach we'll take next year (a continuation of Warnock lite).

However, to shut the door on any near future opportunity seems daft. Doesn't really say much for the supposedly clear route from academy to first team either.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There was a thread about the club's retained list last week which developed into a discussion about the failure of the Academy to produce first team players following the release of, among others, Sion Spence who was touted as one of the brightest prospects at the club a while back.

The assumption was that Spence had been released by the club and had not been offered another contract - my information is that this is not correct.

Apparently, a number of Academy age players were offered one year pro deals while being told that there would be no chance of them breaking into the first team at league level in 20/21. Some of them went ahead and signed contracts, but others, including Sion Spence, turned them down and chose to look elsewhere.

It seems there is another top half Championship club and two others in the lower divisions are very interested in signing Spence.

So, it seems it was not all as cut and dried as reported last week, City wanted to keep Spence and a few others apparently, but the players were not happy with aspects of the club's approach.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Really?
    Yes, that's what I was told by someone who I know is not a wind up merchant today.

Shamar Moore looked lively when he was surprisingly give a run out as substitute in the League Cup game.

I liked Cameron Coxe, although he did not have good game against Carlisle in the FA Cup.

Sang, and with Mayembe on the bench, who almost came on as sub seem to appear to have a future. i also like James Waite who has been on loan at Weston-S-M, but he is 21 and should have broken through by now. Bagan looked impressive in his one appearence, and the defence he played din on loan at Notts County kept a clean sheet in the game he's played.

But you have the fact that Warnock would not give youth a real chance, and that fact the coaches see much more of them than us and work out whether financially it is worth keeping them. They have to find some money to pay Tomlin's wages from somewhere ( man who has played 40 games for us in three seasons).