+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Starkey On Slavery And Black Lives Matter

David Starkey On Slavery And Black Lives Matter

BBC News - David Starkey criticised over slavery comments
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53262668

He always was a complete and utter arsehole

Re: David Starkey On Slavery And Black Lives Matter

Another arsehole who can't refuse a bit of exposure on any platform that'll have him, such is his blowhard narcissism, he's in the 'tosser' box with the Hitchens brothers-pair of snide wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Another arsehole who can't refuse a bit of exposure on any platform that'll have him, such is his blowhard narcissism, he's in the 'tosser' box with the Hitchens brothers-pair of snide wankers.
    When he was on question time I would turn off

Horrible bloke

I notice nobody has referred to Keir Starmer's comments the other day. He did apologise the next day but he still said it. Look it up. Does anyone care what Starkey says as he's renowned for making inappropriate comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I notice nobody has referred to Keir Starmer's comments the other day. He did apologise the next day but he still said it. Look it up.
    I have no idea what starmer said which is why I havnt mentioned it

What did he say ? Starkey said slavery wasnt genocide because lots of "blacks " survived

Why is this toe-rag given so much air time? Never understood it. There are plenty of historians around. The reactionary old racist needs to be forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Why is this toe-rag given so much air time? Never understood it. There are plenty of historians around. The reactionary old racist needs to be forgotten about.
    Hopefully he will be involved in a bizarre gardening accident

I notice nobody has referred to Keir Starmer's comments the other day. He did apologise the next day but he still said it. Look it up. Does anyone care what Starkey says as he's renowned for making inappropriate comments.
    What did he say ?

Was he criticising the black lives matter movement or was he calling people " blacks " ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What did he say ?

Was he criticising the black lives matter movement or was he calling people " blacks " ?
    If it's what I think he's on about, Starmer called the BLM movement "a moment" and then apologised saying he should have made it clearer he meant "a moment in time"

Comparing that with Starkey is pretty spectacular whataboutery

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53267989

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    If it's what I think he's on about, Starmer called the BLM movement "a moment" and then apologised saying he should have made it clearer he meant "a moment in time"

Comparing that with Starkey is pretty spectacular whataboutery

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53267989
    Good grief , that really is clutching at straws

Did he call black people “piccaninnies... with watermelon smiles” or was that someone else?

Good grief , that really is clutching at straws
    Starmer is seen by some of his own colleagues as dismissing the importance of the Black Lives protests and in no way was I making a comparison with that odious individual Starkey.

Starmer is seen by some of his own colleagues as dismissing the importance of the Black Lives protests and in no way was I making a comparison with that odious individual Starkey.
    So what did Starmer say that deserves his name to be brought into a thread with this individual.?

I have no idea what starmer said which is why I havnt mentioned it

What did he say ? Starkey said slavery wasnt genocide because lots of "blacks " survived
    He actually said "slavery wasn't genocide, otherwise there wouldn't be so many Damn blacks in Africa or in Britain would there? and awful lot of them survived"

Which is beyond appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    So what did Starmer say that deserves his name to be brought into a thread with this individual.?
    Starmer dismissed the idea of "defund the police" which I can understand, that would be a corbyn-esque noose that the right wing press would use to hang him for years. Also I don't think the police and prison system in this country is as financially leveraged as the states, but the underlying principles of preventing the conditions that lead to crime and encouraging rehabilitation etc should be bread and butter to a labour leader.
    He also said BLM was a moment, which annoyed some, an suggested it was in sympathy with the movement in the states, which some felt was dismissive of the prejudices faced by UK minorities.

I think it's pretty obvious you were or you wouldnt have mentioned it

One is making a point that the black lives matter movement was a moment in history and we move forward , which I dont agree with , the other was a racist ignorant bigot

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nice to see you bear a grudge given that one of them died almost a decade ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He actually said "slavery wasn't genocide, otherwise there wouldn't be so many Damn blacks in Africa or in Britain would there? and awful lot of them survived"

Which is beyond appalling.
    He's a very intelligent man and surprised he's come out with crap like that. It's a purely racist comment from Starkey who I've quite liked watching on QT purely because he whips it up but this is too far.

Even if he said you can't define it as genocide as the traders didn't intend to kill the slaves then that's a pretty abhorrent comment and missing the mark completely but could be somewhat debated. What DS has said is just showing his prejudices.

International

Can we actually be clear what "Genocide" is.
    It is the 'deliberate' killing of a large group of people of a national or ethnic group.......
    Much as what the slavers did was abhorrent they in no way attempted genocide. In fact it was completely contrary to their intent, which was clearly to make money from trafficking able bodies people who could be made to work.
    Genocide would have robbed them of their purpose.

BBC News - David Starkey criticised over slavery comments
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53262668

He always was a complete and utter arsehole
    If he had a scarfon he would look like Tubs the league of gentleman.A poor excuse for a human.

Dropped by his publisher, and either resigning from or removed from a few 'honorary' positions.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...-harpercollins

Good to see the way public attitudes have changed from 2011 - when his racist comments were mostly tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Nice to see you bear a grudge given that one of them died almost a decade ago!
    And Christopher, who died, was the more enlightened, and intelligent one!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It is the 'deliberate' killing of a large group of people of a national or ethnic group.......
    Much as what the slavers did was abhorrent they in no way attempted genocide. In fact it was completely contrary to their intent, which was clearly to make money from trafficking able bodies people who could be made to work.
    Good luck in your new role as david starkeys lawyer

We all know what genocide is xsnaggle. "Yeah but he was technically right about that bit" means absolutely nothing when it comes to the criticism of his statement

If he simply said it wasn't genocide, then fine I guess. But the full comment was it's not genocide because look, Africa is full of them.