+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't get involved with the geography thread, i bet you could name a pub for every ground visited, probably know the landlords name....
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Right! Where would you like to start?

I'd love to start in Castle Street, but the queues are so long and with a terrible bus service, from here in North Cardiff, I think I'd prefer to stay home and have a proper drink & sandwich

Due to severe weather conditions, the Castle Quarter Café has now closed for the rest of the day. The café is scheduled to open as normal in the morning. We’ll let you know if there are other changes to opening times. Thank you.

Welcome to Wales

International

Extinction Rebellion must have been well pissed off today. I saw some of them in town about 9 AM.
    Imagine them having a plan to paralyse the city by closing Castle street again only to discover that the City Council has beaten them to it and done it already!!!

The Council will be re-opening Castle Street to buses, taxis and emergency vehicles as a temporary measure on Sunday November 29th, while a public consultation is held on the future of the thoroughfare.

The re-opening will help buses and taxis cross east to west and west to east more effectively during the on-going road works in the city centre.

This temporary design will ensure that the pop-up cycleway - which will run from Leckwith Road up Newport Road to the junction with Broadway - will be retained as part of the temporary scheme.

This will also include extending the pavement alongside the shops and bars opposite the castle into the road to give a wider walkway for people to socially distance. It will also create an opportunity for hospitality businesses to have more space outside their premises to trade.

Under the plans, Castle Street will contain two lanes for buses and taxis to travel east and or west, and the pop-up cycle lane by the castle will remain.

Work has also taken place on Westgate Street, to extend the pavement to give extra outside space for bars and restaurants, while ensuring there is enough road space for buses and taxis to travel up and down Westgate Street onto Castle Street.

The scheme is being installed at the end of November, so it can bed-in before the Christmas season begins.

Cllr Caro Wild, Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning and Transport, said: The Council recognises that the closure of Castle Street has divided opinions, with strong arguments being made in favour and against the changes that have been implemented in recent months.

"Alongside a detailed modelling exercise on future traffic flows, we will undertake a comprehensive consultation exercise, involving city centre businesses, local residents, and citizens across Cardiff, to help determine the final plan for the street."

Cardiff Council is monitoring congestion and air quality across the city centre. It will undertake detailed modelling on any long-term plans, which will help determine if any additional mitigations are required in neighbouring wards.

"Work has also taken place on Westgate Street, to extend the pavement to give extra outside space for bars and restaurants, while ensuring there is enough road space for buses and taxis to travel up and down Westgate Street onto Castle Street"

So they are still insisting, that people want to eat & drink OUTSIDE in the winter. Roll on the elections

With so much city centre shopping now inside and away from Queen Street, I wonder if they'd ever reconsider opening it back up to traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    "Work has also taken place on Westgate Street, to extend the pavement to give extra outside space for bars and restaurants, while ensuring there is enough road space for buses and taxis to travel up and down Westgate Street onto Castle Street"

So they are still insisting, that people want to eat & drink OUTSIDE in the winter. Roll on the elections
    Which party is going to get your vote?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    With so much city centre shopping now inside and away from Queen Street, I wonder if they'd ever reconsider opening it back up to traffic?
    They don't want to re open Castle st.

They don't want to re open Castle st.
    You can understand why, but there is a serious lack of alternative routes. The bridge by the bus station is also no longer a proper thoroughfare, and so we're basically left with Penarth Road, and Western Avenue, if you want to cross the river. Yes, I know you can cross at James Street in the bay, or Station Road in Llandaff North, but neither of them are what you'd call city centre, or even able to carry a lot of traffic.
    It's a mess, but it's been known about for ages. They have seen this coming, and chosen to ignore it.

Which party is going to get your vote?
    Anyone who is not in the seat now

Anyone who is not in the seat now
    About as well thought out as some of the council policy that you hate.

International

About as well thought out as some of the council policy that you hate.
    We could start with any councillor who has been on the traffic planning committee or public transport committee (Or which ever committee is responsible for these things,) for the last 15 years and ask them to state clearly what they have done or attempted to do on the record to give the city the transport system which would allow people to leave their cars at home and have confidence they could get where the wanted/needed to be in good time. Any who have done nothing should be barred from re-election.
    that might begin to concentrate minds for starters.
    Then ask anyone who wants to stand what they see as the plans for the city over the next 10 years. That'll weed a few more out.

We could start with any councillor who has been on the traffic planning committee or public transport committee (Or which ever committee is responsible for these things,) for the last 15 years and ask them to state clearly what they have done or attempted to do on the record to give the city the transport system which would allow people to leave their cars at home and have confidence they could get where the wanted/needed to be in good time. Any who have done nothing should be barred from re-election.
    that might begin to concentrate minds for starters.
    Then ask anyone who wants to stand what they see as the plans for the city over the next 10 years. That'll weed a few more out.
    Sounds like a perfect plan.

Sounds like a perfect plan.

So, voting someone out, who is in the seat now and voting someone else in, as I understand it.

Which is exactly what I stated, but in fewer words.

I'm not a 20 passes on the half way line kinda guy. Get it in the BOX.

So, voting someone out, who is in the seat now and voting someone else in, as I understand it.

Which is exactly what I stated, but in fewer words.

I'm not a 20 passes on the half way line kinda guy. Get it in the BOX.
    I was being sarcastic, maybe i should've put a smiley in there. Snaggs plan hasn't really been thought out, has it?

Let's be honest the people within the City seem intent on getting pissed , the Council has chucked its weight behind St Davids 2 corporates at the cost of the two main streets which are becoming cheap shops, coffee houses ,ice cream parlours ,pubs and clubs .

They are happy to make money from Rugby and concerts which drives the pub culture behaviours .

Culture and independent oulets can go forth and multiply as long as we can get pissed twice a year within the Autumn and Six Nation events months.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Council has chucked its weight behind St Davids 2 corporates at the cost of the two main streets which are becoming cheap shops, coffee houses ,ice cream parlours ,pubs and clubs .

They are happy to make money from Rugby and concerts which drives the pub culture behaviours .
    But I thought that you loved capitalism?!

Have you become a dirty commie overnight?!

Go back to Venezuela!

International

I was being sarcastic, maybe i should've put a smiley in there. Snaggs plan hasn't really been thought out, has it?
    What on earth makes you think that it was intended to be anything even remotely resembling a plan?
    wish list, Maybe! Plan, far to difficult. Can't be arsed!

What on earth makes you think that it was intended to be anything even remotely resembling a plan?
    wish list, Maybe! Plan, far to difficult. Can't be arsed!
    https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...5&action=click

The City is very sadly ageing badly it needs some innovative thinking , funding, as you would any Capital City, sadly I cant see it happening , its a venue that you would not want to be around late in the evening unless your pissed

International

But sadly I haven't!

Let's be honest the people within the City seem intent on getting pissed , the Council has chucked its weight behind St Davids 2 corporates at the cost of the two main streets which are becoming cheap shops, coffee houses ,ice cream parlours ,pubs and clubs .

Culture and independent oulets can go forth and multiply as long as we can get pissed twice a year within the Autumn and Six Nation events months.
    You got my vote as have all the well run local pubs and landlords and patrons who know how to behave across Wales its a disgusting decision and a shameful gutlessness one

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You got my vote as have all the well run local pubs and landlords and patrons who know how to behave across Wales its a disgusting decision and a shameful gutlessness one
    Yes that is right city centres pubs could close because that is where the biggest risk is due foot fall , number of people, and poor behaviours , which was the point I was responded too ,which you knew once again your obsession with me has resulted in you picking out a statement and omitted to add the full story .( it is flattering though you follow me with so much verve )

In my view this is a disproportionate government measures , private landlords and pubs are very well run and observe the rules well , as are memberships clubs like Legions , and other club type of community venues , they could go to the wall along with many jobs in those communities .

I am sure the big chain pubs in town centres will survive and I bet some don't run a tight ship with Covid rules as the smaller caring venues do , so why should they suffer or those areas that have very low transmissions .

There's me thinking you had some social care about you , saving jobs , helping communities and lonely people who rely on these venues

Yes that is right city centres pubs could close because that is where the biggest risk is due foot fall , number of people, and poor behaviours , which was the point I was responded too ,which you knew once again your obsession with me has resulted in you picking out a statement and omitted to add the full story .( it is flattering though you follow me with so much verve )

In my view this is a disproportionate government measures , private landlords and pubs are very well run and observe the rules well , as are memberships clubs like Legions , and other club type of community venues , they could go to the wall along with many jobs in those communities .

I am sure the big chain pubs in town centres will survive and I bet some don't run a tight ship with Covid rules as the smaller caring venues do , so why should they suffer or those areas that have very low transmissions .

There's me thinking you had some social care about you , saving jobs , helping communities and lonely people who rely on these venues
    I could have gone with

All I want is for the virus gone or managed the rest is not important ,people are losing loved ones

but you seemed on a roll.