+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone solved the buses problem yet? St Mary St was the obvious street to go 100% Continental, that’s where the majority of bars and food outlets are and would be managed by them, it would have meant minimal disruption and a lot cheaper no doubt. I’m wracking my brains to think of places in Castle & Duke Street that’ll provide table service, The Rummer? Revolution? The little Portuguese cafe? Or is it going to be an area for people to bring and eat their Greggs and Macdonalds delicacies? Are the tables allied to any establishments or are they free for anyone to sit there? If so, who is going to clean them in preparation for the next lot to sit down? From the photo I’ve seen it doesn’t look very inviting, I do hope the people that use the area treat it with respect and not have the ‘some other bugger can pick my litter up’ attitude.
    I've been wondering about this too. There's an app involved, of course. Local pubs and restaurants can pay to join up, customers can check the menus of the places involved and order through the app. As far as I understand it, the restaurant just has to come up with the meal and the rest is taken care of, presumably by some kind of Deliveroo type service.

I'm probably being thick but I can't work out how, for example, 2 steak and kidney pies, peas, chips and gravy, a pint of lager and a glass of wine are going to make their way from Churchill Way to Castle Street in one piece. What happens if there's a problem with the meal? Plates and cutlery? Or will you be expected to eat a steak off a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork? Toilet facilities?

Open tomorrow. I'm assuming the Council aren't just going to wing it but I'm missing something for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I've been wondering about this too. There's an app involved, of course. Local pubs and restaurants can pay to join up, customers can check the menus of the places involved and order through the app. As far as I understand it, the restaurant just has to come up with the meal and the rest is taken care of, presumably by some kind of Deliveroo type service.

I'm probably being thick but I can't work out how, for example, 2 steak and kidney pies, peas, chips and gravy, a pint of lager and a glass of wine are going to make their way from Churchill Way to Castle Street in one piece. What happens if there's a problem with the meal? Plates and cutlery? Or will you be expected to eat a steak off a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork? Toilet facilities?

Open tomorrow. I'm assuming the Council aren't just going to wing it but I'm missing something for now.
    Exactly, an eating area surely needs to be near the places that are providing the food otherwise it becomes a picnic area which in the UK haven’t got a good reputation for being litter free. Delmi is right, not sure if on this thread or another thread, some people in this country seriously need educating on the litter situation.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Exactly, an eating area surely needs to be near the places that are providing the food otherwise it becomes a picnic area which in the UK haven’t got a good reputation for being litter free. Delmi is right, not sure if on this thread or another thread, some people in this country seriously need educating on the litter situation.
    I assume the Council will have staff there to deal with cleaning, litter etc but it's hard to imagine the area not attracting seagulls and pigeons although I don't want to judge all this too soon, we'll have to wait and see.

We're going to have to wait a bit longer to find out. Despite signs being up yesterday afternoon that it would be open today, that's now been delayed till Friday.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...-open-18677644

I think that's the general idea - giving restaurants the chance to serve up food 'outdoors' to overcome social distancing rules. A 20 minute wait for a cold[ish] paper plate of mush with plastic cutlery, warm beer, stinking portaloos.

It wasn't open at lunch time today. Or if it is, nobody was using it. I will check in again tomorrow.

Forming a view on the success or failure of this parasols-in-the-road-sitting-area-for-bars-in-a-different-area idea is sitting far higher in my list of priorities than it probably should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    It wasn't open at lunch time today. Or if it is, nobody was using it. I will check in again tomorrow.

Forming a view on the success or failure of this parasols-in-the-road-sitting-area-for-bars-in-a-different-area idea is sitting far higher in my list of priorities than it probably should be.
    I think it's opening Friday now. It's 27 degrees on Friday, it'll be a roaring success. They could chuck 30 potato sacks on the floor and say sit there and it'd be a roaring success if it's 27 degrees

Me too, don't worry. And my interest in its success or failure should be based on something far deeper than who it's going to annoy on here but it's definitely influencing my thinking for now.

I did come back this morning to say the opening had been delayed till Friday, even though signs were up yesterday saying it would be open today. I think it looks good personally although, as I said, I'm struggling to grasp some elements of how it will work. We'll soon see how it goes.

Me too, don't worry. And my interest in its success or failure should be based on something far deeper than who it's going to annoy on here but it's definitely influencing my thinking for now.

I did come back this morning to say the opening had been delayed till Friday, even though signs were up yesterday saying it would be open today. I think it looks good personally although, as I said, I'm struggling to grasp some elements of how it will work. We'll soon see how it goes.
    Apologies, missed it. We could do with a sticky that shows the latest status, and ideally a link to a live webcam showing the area (this sort of thing was all the rage in the noughties).

I've spent far more time thinking about this than I have the second leg tomorrow night.

Apologies, missed it. We could do with a sticky that shows the latest status, and ideally a link to a live webcam showing the area (this sort of thing was all the rage in the noughties).

I've spent far more time thinking about this than I have the second leg tomorrow night.
    There's a game tomorrow?