+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    David and Goliudge
    Remember that short bloke off fantasy island who used to point up at the plane ?

Him , bald

That's what I am up against

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    I think you pair should bash it out in the ring
    As long as they don't try to slog it out on a pool table. Did you ever see the famous footage of their last game? Fu*k me. Stevie Wonder would have beaten both of them with a broken broom handle!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd argue that what's really killing the city is the constant destruction of any kind of cultural identity in the city in favour of student flats, coffee chains and Wetherspoons, not changes that have been made to help prevent the spread of a virus
    St Davids 2 killed the arcades too. All longer term impacts than the OP's concerns.

International

sdomeone asked a little while ago what had been done in Castle street.
    I was there this morning and the answer is - - - nothing!!
    The road has now been closed for 2 weeks and there is nothing happening, no Covered areas, no tents, no marquees, no seats, no tables...... nothing. There is not even any sign of any activity starting, nothing at all.
    It becomes more and more clear that the closure of the street was the real aim of the action and the loss of business it causes to the shops in the centre is of no interest to the council. it is driven by dogma and the interest of those on the council not by any care for the community or the livelihood of the traders. They are secondary.

As I've said in this thread, I'm not anti this idea in theory but what the hell is going on in there? Was in town yesterday and there's no sign of anything being built, is it still happening?

On another note, city centre being RUINED by the PAINT is a massive exaggeration, it's totally fine and helps with social distancing by keeping people to the left and to the right where appropriate. Some nice outdoor seating areas too.

But I am confused at the lack of progress with the covered area

The council is killing the city, and it is deliberate!!!!

Progress pr imagination is not required in this country , we are enjoying the slumber, to be fair being a large country park for the elderly to enjoy is nothing to be balked about .

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    As I've said in this thread, I'm not anti this idea in theory but what the hell is going on in there? Was in town yesterday and there's no sign of anything being built, is it still happening?

On another note, city centre being RUINED by the PAINT is a massive exaggeration, it's totally fine and helps with social distancing by keeping people to the left and to the right where appropriate. Some nice outdoor seating areas too.

But I am confused at the lack of progress with the covered area
    That is the point. They have intimated it will be ready for the end of July. just in time for businesses like pubs restaurants and cafes to allow customers inside again. you couldn't make it up!!

As another poster said early in this thread, it is just another excuse to close castle street, which certain members of the council would dearly love to see closed permanently.

I went into town a few days ago. It's dying.

A lot of places not open, most of the places that were open had barely anyone in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

A lot of places not open, most of the places that were open had barely anyone in them.

Didn’t you know BOSS, they’re all waiting for the “GRAND OPENING OF THE BIG TENT”

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

So what do the council do? Do they do everything within their powers to attract people back into the city centre to do their shopping? No, they don’t.

What they do is make access to the city centre by car as difficult as possible, disrupt the bus services and do their damnedest to make the place look unappealing with their myriad of traffic bollards, their poxy wooden huts, their bright yellow paint and their collection of idiots standing around in hi-viz jackets doing sod all.

Wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That is the point. They have intimated it will be ready for the end of July. just in time for businesses like pubs restaurants and cafes to allow customers inside again. you couldn't make it up!!

As another poster said early in this thread, it is just another excuse to close castle street, which certain members of the council would dearly love to see closed permanently.
    It should be closed anyway.

Went into Cardiff last Sunday.

Quite pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The op actually called the thread "Cardiff Council are killing the City" therefore the fate of Tramshed is extremely relevant
    Phew at last someone has explained it correctly ,centre v not centre moment .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well it's like any other major uk city really

It seems to be seeing a gentle seepage of people but let's be honest here ......the city centre of cardiff is too congested for a city and hinterland of its size and the sooner we have a coordinated metro system the better
    Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Quite pleasant.

Unless you’re being ironic, pray tell “how are the people in north Cardiff, Caerphilly or the valleys, supposed to access our wonderful train station, or invisible BUS STATION” ???

International

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Quite pleasant.
    You clearly have no idea of how important a conduit it is if you honestly believe that.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Unless you’re being ironic, pray tell “how are the people in north Cardiff, Caerphilly or the valleys, supposed to access our wonderful train station, or invisible BUS STATION” ???
    How are people from the east of the city expected to get into the city at all. no trains, buses bolloxed and roads closed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    So what do the council do? Do they do everything within their powers to attract people back into the city centre to do their shopping? No, they don’t.

What they do is make access to the city centre by car as difficult as possible, disrupt the bus services and do their damnedest to make the place look unappealing with their myriad of traffic bollards, their poxy wooden huts, their bright yellow paint and their collection of idiots standing around in hi-viz jackets doing sod all.

Wankers.
    I could bang on about how Wales is being turned into a tumbleweed ghost town by the Assembly - sorry, Senydd, but I won't. But what is the real nail in the coffin of this nation is the complete, total, and utter lack of accountability, criticism, scrutiny, from any section of the Welsh media. The Echo is less than a rag, the national newspaper of Wales cannot ever find anything wrong or questionable about the Assembly's actions and records, and the BBC is run by the Welsh-speaking Taffia..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I could bang on about how Wales is being turned into a tumbleweed ghost town by the Assembly - sorry, Senydd, but I won't. But what is the real nail in the coffin of this nation is the complete, total, and utter lack of accountability, criticism, scrutiny, from any section of the Welsh media. The Echo is less than a rag, the national newspaper of Wales cannot ever find anything wrong or questionable about the Assembly's actions and records, and the BBC is run by the Welsh-speaking Taffia..
    Senedd

Don't be ridiculous, you could quite could easily make it up and if from most of your other posts I have 100% faith that you specifically have the imagination to make it up. If you think that idea is wild you should read a book or watch a sci fi movie, they'll blow your mind.

Also it's incredibly obvious that a big part of it is to help those places that, with social distancing, would only be able to hold very few customers in their establishment even once people are allowed back in

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Wankers.
    I get your frustration about the access but I really think you need to not let the paint and stuff get to you this much, it's not that bad at all. I can't imagine anyone not going into town because of a couple of wooden huts either

In the middle of a pandemic many people will have a strong preference for using their own car and won’t use buses or trains. The council needs to accept this and not use a public health emergency as an excuse to deter people travelling to the shops by car.

sdomeone asked a little while ago what had been done in Castle street.
    I was there this morning and the answer is - - - nothing!!
    The road has now been closed for 2 weeks and there is nothing happening, no Covered areas, no tents, no marquees, no seats, no tables...... nothing. There is not even any sign of any activity starting, nothing at all.
    It becomes more and more clear that the closure of the street was the real aim of the action and the loss of business it causes to the shops in the centre is of no interest to the council. it is driven by dogma and the interest of those on the council not by any care for the community or the livelihood of the traders. They are secondary.
    Not quite true I have seen folk sitting and laying on the pavement in those areas , holding thin white carrier bags that are straining to hold their heavy contents ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Drove from Caerphilly. No traffic, plenty of parking.

Quick detour around the blind institute not a problem.

Everyone friendly and lines easy to follow

When the benches are there to enjoy the city i'll say well done Cardiff Council

QUOTE=WJ99mobile;5099548]Drove from Caerphilly. No traffic, plenty of parking.

Quick detour around the blind institute not a problem.

Everyone friendly and lines easy to follow

When the benches are there to enjoy the city i'll say well done Cardiff Council[/QUOTE]

But that’s not accessing the bus (to come) or train station, for an onward journey.

I'm not quite sure what i think of the road closure or how sustainable it will be in the short term, or long term if the council are preparing us for a complete closure with no plans to open the road back up again. We certainly need much better public transport, cheap, regular and not for profit if CCC are going down this route (excuse pun) or park an ride schemes that offer real value-i'd be all for it then. So, to play devils advocate a little, consider this-Cardiff Castle is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Wales, wouldn't it be progressive for the council to offer tourists who bring in money, a more tranquil surrounding in order to take photos, relax and spend their money directly outside the castle on food, drink and souvenirs? A castle in the middle of a city is very unique although it seems to me that we aren't taking advantage of it in every respect.

Castle ST is shitty, the shops on the front are ugly and disjointed, why not make it an area to be enjoyed and add to the value of the City? I'm pretty sure other Cities would have been all over pedestrianising the area adjacent to the castle in a way to make things more relaxed and in the hope that people with spare cash hang about and buy shit that they don't need and over inflated prices for poor food and drink-we've got to think like a capital City